Occupational Therapists – OTs – who join Veterans Health Administration (VHA) stay with us for over 10 years, and with good reason. Our system gives them the unique opportunity to interact with and care for our nation’s heroes like no one else can. Our occupational therapy teams also receive some of the best benefits in the country. Here are the top five reasons occupational therapy professionals choose a career with VHA.
- Collaboration: VHA gives its employees an unprecedented level of collaboration with other physicians that care for our Veterans, allowing our OTs to plan care in conjunction with their patients’ other caregivers. We also have networking opportunities for our occupational therapists – email groups and regular conference calls allow VHA OTs across the country to communicate with one another and share the best new practices and techniques.
- Relationship-building: Camaraderie between Veterans, regardless of when they served, is obvious, but they extend this camaraderie to our therapy teams as well through the day-to-day work that they do together during the healing process. Working with us is unique because our Veterans are assured of treatment from the beginning of a condition through the entire healing process; this means that our OTs get to develop long-lasting relationships with their patients.
- Career growth: We believe that working with VHA should help advance your career as well. We do this through training programs for employees that allow them to advance in their field, scholarships and student loan reimbursement programs. We also have affiliations with numerous colleges and universities around the country, and we give our employees the opportunity to grow through research associated with these institutions.
- Technology-driven care: We want to make sure that our occupational therapy teams use the best practices possible for each individual Veteran. The biggest advance we have made in this area is our Computerized Patient Records System, which allows our OTs to securely access patient records from anywhere in the nation. This allows us to give our Veterans the care they need as quickly as possible regardless of where they are, and allows our teams to help each Veteran in the best way possible.
- Competitive benefits: VA also offers competitive benefits that our employees love. We provide flexible scheduling, allowing our employees to have the work-life balance that they want. We also offer competitive pay, excellent health care coverage, the ability to take your career to any of our facilities across the country and robust liability protection.
Read more about OT careers with VHA.
Ready to get started? Search our career opportunities to find the occupational therapy job that is right for you and Join VA.