Today, VA released a major update on the MyVA transformation, Secretary McDonald’s effort to transform VA into the top customer service agency in the federal government. This third edition of the program’s semi-annual report shows progress serving Veterans with more services, in better time.

“Guided by Veterans’ needs, we’ve left old, unresponsive ways of doing business behind,” writes Secretary Bob McDonald. “We’ve changed leadership. We’ve added staff. We’ve adjusted policies. We’re eliminating bureaucracy and unproductive work. We’re encouraging inno­vative approaches to serving Veterans, and we’re sharing best practices across the Department. In short, we’re making VA the high-performing organization that it can be, and that my fellow Veterans, expect and deserve.”

Key results in the report include:

  • Veteran trust of VA is on the rise. In June 2016, nearly 60 percent of Veterans said they trust VA to fulfill our country’s commitment to Veterans – from 47 percent in December 2015.
  • We are completing more appointments, faster. In FY 2016, VA completed nearly 58 million appointments – 1.2 million more than in FY 2015 and 3.2 million more than FY 2014. More of them are provided by a network of more than 350,000 community providers – a 45 percent increase in the number of providers since last year.
  • Processing of disability claims is faster and more accurate, too. The average wait time to complete a claim has dropped by 65 percent, to 123 days. We completed nearly 1.3 million claims in FY 2016, and reduced pending claims by almost 90 percent.
  • Urgent care is available when a Veteran needs it, and for non-urgent appointments, wait times are down. By September 2016, the average wait time for a completed appointment was down to less than five days for primary care, less than seven days for specialty care, and less than three days for mental health care.
  • Veteran homelessness has been cut in half: it’s down 47 percent since 2010 nationwide, thanks in part to VA’s work with nearly 4,000 public and private agencies.
  • In the last 18 months, VA has facilitated dozens more collaborations, bringing in more than $300 million in investments and in-kind services to support America’s Veterans.
  • Quality is improving: 82 percent of VA facilities improved quality overall since the fourth quarter of FY 2015.The report details the changes and innovations, large and small, which produced these results. It also lays out a path forward for the agency – including an important role for Congress before the end of 2016.

Read the full report online here.

Topics in this story

Leave a comment

The comments section is for opinions and feedback on this particular article; this is not a customer support channel. If you are looking for assistance, please visit Ask VA or call 1-800-698-2411. Please, never put personally identifiable information (SSAN, address, phone number, etc.) or protected health information into the form — it will be deleted for your protection.

10 Comments

  1. Dale Swiggett November 13, 2016 at 18:30

    Water Contamination from PCS Mine 1300 sq.Cone of Depression has Created Cancer Clusters at ALL Bases in Eastern NC & VA.

    Subject: Dear Attorney General Loretta Lynch, The PCS Mine Has Violated EVERY Term and Condition of EPA/ Army Corp of Engineer Permit # 200110096
    T0:
    Secretary Robert A. McDonald
    – US Department of Veterans Affairs

    Avner Vengosh
    Professor of Earth and Ocean Sciences
    Duke University
    Durham, N.C

    USGS
    Chad Wagner
    U.S. Geological Survey
    North Carolina Water Science Center
    3916 Sunset Ridge Rd
    Raleigh, N.C. 27607
    Phone: (919) 571-4000
    Fax: (919) 571-4041
    dc_nc@usgs.gov

    Erin Brockvickh
    ABC News
    Conflict of Interest
    Richard Spruill’s business profile as Associate Professor of Geology, All at …
    East Carolina University. Ph.D. Geology. UNC Chapel Hill. Ph.D. Hydrology.
    Phd Richard Spruill
    GMA – Groundwater Management Associates
    4300 Sapphire Ct #100, Greenville, NC 27834
    Frank Perry
    Secretary of Public Safety
    https://www.ncdps.gov/About-DPS/Office-of-the-Secretary/Leadership-Biographies/F
    rank-L-Perry
    Donald R. van der Vaart
    NC DEQ Secretary
    https://deq.nc.gov/about/leadership/secretary
    https://ncdenr.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/Environmental%20Management%20Commiss
    ion/documents/EMC_Member_Bios.pdf
    https://deq.nc.gov/contact/regional-offices/raleigh/contacts
    http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/washington-regional-office/home
    http://deq.nc.gov/contact/regional-offices/fayetteville
    http://deq.nc.gov/contact/regional-offices/wilmington
    Office of Equal Rights
    FEMA
    500 C Street SW, Room 617A
    Washington, DC 20472

    FEMA Office of Tribal Affairs
    https://www.fema.gov/fema-tribal-affairs

    Secretary Rick Brajer
    Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
    http://www.ncdhhs.gov/about/secretary

    https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=nc+dept+health+human+ser
    vices+sec&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4TSNP_enUS473US473&q=nc+department+of+health+and+human+
    services+secretary+&gs_l=hp..0.0i22i30l3.0.0.4.66507………..0.7miUXMTgb3E

    Ken Jolly
    Chief, Regulatory Division
    Wilmington District
    910-251-4630
    FEMA
    <Samuei.K.Jolly@usace .ann
    06/04/2009 1 0:49 AM
    Mr. Meiburg,
    To Stan Meiburg/R4/USEPA/US@EPA
    Rebecca Fox/R4/USEPA/US@EPA, Jim
    Giattina/R4/USEPA/US@EPA, Tom
    Welborn/R4/USEPAIUS@EPA, Palmer

    Wilmington District
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    69 Darlington Avenue
    Wilmington, NC 28403

    Regulatory Permitting (Wetlands)

    910-251-4633
    https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-03/documents/june_2009part1.pdf

    Knowledge of the ever increasing PCS /Potash Mile 1300 Sq.Mile Cone of
    Depression and Reduction of Water Table and Damage to water Quality and Creation
    Of Cancer Clusters

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Lejeune_water_contamination

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/hampton-roads-solution-to
    -stop-the-land-from-sinking-wastewater/2016/10/20/9537865a-8198-11e6-b002-307601
    806392_story.html#comments

    http://abc11.com/news/bad-well-water-a-dirty-little-secret-i-team-investigates/1
    600913/

    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/state-health-director-may-covered-toxic-wate
    r-north-carolina/

    http://core.ecu.edu/geology/woods/GWhydrolog.htm

    http://www.wcti12.com/news/30-million-carolinaeast-cancer-center-coming-to-new-b
    ern_20160526013343386/15599812

    http://www.newbernsj.com/article/20160116/NEWS/160119282

    https://waterfrontsportsman.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/amended-pcs-complaint_fe
    b28_2012.pdf

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/logan-smith/echoes-of-flint-as-north_b_9486756.htm

    http://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthgwaquifer.html

    http://cwfnc.org/community-news/your-drinking-water/

    https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-03/documents/june_2009part1.pdf

    https://thinkprogress.org/house-passes-bill-that-would-allow-toxic-coal-ash-into
    -groundwater-69206dbae334#.3rtjnzb9x

    http://www.southeastcoalash.org/about-coal-ash/coal-ash-storage/

    http://ccrm.vims.edu/recurrent_flooding/Recurrent_Flooding_Study_web.pdf

    http://www.northcarolinahealthnews.org/2016/10/25/post-matthew-water-how-bad-is-
    it/

    The PCS /Potash Mine Company has Violated Every Condition of the Army Corp
    of Engineers EPA Permit #
    200110096
    http://water.usgs.gov/edu/groundwater-contaminants.html

    http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/gw_ruralhomeowner/gw_ruralhomeowner_new.html

    https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4285/designated-areas

    https://www.google.com/search?q=flooding+water+nc&biw=828&bih=375&tbm=isch&sourc
    e=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE1Jrh2I_QAhUI2IMKHatYA28Q_AUICCgD&dpr=1.65

    M.Dale Swiggett
    Qui Tam Whistle Blower
    Waterfront Sportsman
    336-340-6299

[...]

  2. FRANCISCO RIVERA November 12, 2016 at 09:21

    I seved for 2 years in the armyVIET NAM era,claimed service connected because im loosing my hearing and i was approves a 10%,but the problem is that i went to VET. AFFAIRS to check if i qualify for to use theI want to thanks the VA commisary and they told me have to be 100% and for dental 100% too.I want to thanks the VA hosp at LK NONA,ORLANDO,FL gor taking good care of my health.

  3. Arnoild Hirahara November 12, 2016 at 01:55

    “Honoring those who have served this great nation on Veterans Day. We’re celebrating the enormous sacrifice and patriotism of all of our Veterans; ” But maybe forgetting one for sure, The late retired Major Queen Britt Cormier “LEFT BEHIND IN THE TRENCHES”
    And note, on August 1st, 2016, Commander in Chief President Barack Obama address a Handicap Group somewhere but also intentionally our country; “We should first honour and pay our respect….. THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO PUT THEIR LIVES ON THE FRONT-LINES OF WARS, THE HANDICAP VETERANS AND THE GOLD STAR which applied the person in concern, The Late Retired Major Queen Britt Cormier who served this country on both fronts, overseas and civilian venues; I only served our country as a volunteer registered caregiver with the Veteran Caregiver to the Honorable Retired Major Queen Britt Cormier and therefore have made a commitment to located the remains of this honorable soul, persons, Veteran till then interred into sacred hallow grounds as she requested next to Veteran husband. Then will continue to try and accommodate her others wishes. In a few days, in fact, less than a week on November 16th, 2016 will be exactly one whole year with only a presumptive date of death not having obtained or seen a Certificate of Death, this Honorable Veteran who can be considered said forsaken by the country she proudly loved and served till the rank of MAJOR and still served daily helping any and all identifiable forsaken Veteran till her untimely passing. Now, on this 2016’s Veteran Day even after having the emphatic proclamation on August 1st, 2016 from the highest military position, The Commander in Chief, our President of the United States Barrack Obama, no subordinate, not any, “nada” one under the Commander, had come forth to help commemorate Major Cormier’s military service lest two generous souls, one courageous, a sincerely concerned, a Ms. Jamie @ Tripler Veteran Hospital, contacted @ 433-0506 and Ms. Ye, in Primary Care #, both who offered bits of information that led to this sad definitive enlightenment: Retired Major Queen Britt Cormier, confirmed date of date and gave the disturbing disrespectful news, that Major Cormier’s body dropped off to a morgue homeless person, with no address no military title.  Outside of this two government person were none others;  The only consistent concerns over many stories abound were a few very true friends Major Cormier, Ms. Cathrine Carter, Apostle Charlie Hardaway, and Ms. Leticia Felding, who offered and showed their lasting supports their forever friendship to their friend.  Please find this note: Inasmuch not wanting to bring to light this said enlightenment, that after a year of an arduous task still nil, to HONOUR THIS PROUD AMERICAN, THE LATE RETIRED VETERAN. MAJOR QUEEN BRITT CORMIER, A JEWISH WOMAN OF AFRICAN DECENT, “BLACK LIVES MIGHT NOT MATTER!” AND WILL RELUCTANTLY REITERATE TILL THIS “GREAT NATION” GIVES HER THE MILITARY BURIAL MAJOR CORMIER DESERVES.

  4. Thomas Neuhoff November 11, 2016 at 14:15

    The V.A. continues to stress how much they care about veterans but I have filed a complaint regarding the L.A. 800 number for the V.A. pharmacy not only at the V.A. website but also with My VA and even emailed the V.A. complaint department listed on the posters on the wall of the V.A. and not once did I receive a reply. I even wrote Senator Boxer and not a reply. Those people at the 800 number are disrespectful and ignorant of the V.A. computer system. I’ve been told to pick up prescriptions when the order wasn’t even in the system. What was that woman reading? When I simply asked if it was being mailed or should I pick it up the guy asked my age and told me to grow up and quit whining! Don’t lie to us anymore about how you care!

  5. Bobbystevens November 11, 2016 at 14:04

    We are proud & and pray for all the good people working to make ,my va.a success .

  6. Jim Harris November 11, 2016 at 13:17

    Well, we are fed bologna on Veterans Day. Typical VA! Waited five months for an appointment under the Choice program that is supposed to eliminate waits of over 30 days. Got denied disability claims on April Fools day, Independence Day, my birthday, Christmas and Veterans Day. The odds of that are something like a billion to one. I would have been better off playing the lottery. Lost my claims package three times, Said there was no proof I had served in the military (20 years Air Force). PTSD treatment now kicks the vet out the door after so many weeks and shifts the vet to civilian organizations not associated with the VA. And, the list goes on.

    More putting spin on what is a cesspool. Fire all of them and put the VA under DOD.

  7. Allan R. Bigonia November 11, 2016 at 10:55

    I have been cared for for many many years by the VA, and never had any (serious) complaints….until now. I became eligible for Dental Care MONTHS ago. Since I live more than 40 miles from the nearest VA facility I applied for and was APPROVED for Dental Care at a local Dentist office. After many phone calls I found out that the control was taken away from the People who actually work at the Dental Department at the Manchester NH VA, and given to “someone else”. They said their hands are tied. I still don’t know who, or what to do to get care. I wrote a letter recently and addressed it to “The Dental Decision Maker”. Still haven’t heard a word.

  8. Paul Jepson November 11, 2016 at 10:30

    Unfortunately my outpatient clinic located in Yakima, WA has declined in the quality of services over the past year. It seems that it is difficult to find and retain providers resulting in longer waits to see a provider.

  9. Gura Lashlee November 10, 2016 at 10:15

    PS…..
    I forgot to add that I’m 70+. Where the hell else will I be able to take care of myself other than the VA system.
    Too old and entrenched to move to another country. Besides, now that Canada is closing their gates there are very few places left for smart, caring, liberal people to go.
    I can just see myself going through all the pain and work of selling all to move, get relocated then president Drumpf guts the VA cutting off my benefits.
    Then what does one do?

  10. Gura Lashlee November 10, 2016 at 10:11

    It’s working.
    Being 100% disabled I rely on my local VA clinic to help me stay well, mobile and productive.
    The wonderful folks at the Eureka, CA clinic are the best.
    No complaints.
    I see the differences and changes that Secretary McDonald has implemented.

    My big fear now that a truly insane, evil and mean spirited moron is president he and his minions from hell will privatize all VA care.
    Privatization has never worked. Haven’t we seen such a horrid example with the prison system? Turned it over to the profit mongers. Care and concern for prisoners were sacrificed for the bottom line.
    That’s what turning over well run, productive, secure, safe entities to private businesses always happens. It’s all about the cash. Isn’t everything?

Comments are closed.

More Stories