VA announced several key activities this week in connection with President Trump’s proclamation of November as Veterans and Military Families month.
“Veterans Day has a special place in the lives not only of our Veterans, but for all citizens as we pay tribute to the service of those past and present who have contributed so much to our nation’s history,” said VA Secretary David Shulkin. “President Trump has proclaimed, for the first time, that November is Veterans and Military Families Month and we are seeing nationwide events that will showcase Veterans.”
- On Nov. 6, Secretary Shulkin discussed Veterans’ topics at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. Watch the event here.
- In New York on Nov. 7, Secretary Shulkin will speak to the Veterans of Wall Street; visit the New York Stock Exchange (and ring the closing bell); and speak at the PM Heroes gala. Also on that day, the Minnesota Vikings will visit the Spinal Cord Injury Center in Minneapolis.
- Nov. 8 a StorytellerX event (one of several during the month) on Capitol Hill will showcase Veterans sharing their stories of post-military life. Additional events, updates and live video streams can be found by clicking here.
- National Veteran Standout Day on Nov. 9 will see Veterans nationwide wearing an article of clothing, pins or hats that commemorate their service.
- Secretary Shulkin will lead ground-breaking on the National WWI Memorial in Washington D.C.’s Pershing Park at 11 a.m. on Nov. 9. Veterans from every era since WWI will be on hand.
- The nation observes a federal holiday on Nov. 10 in honor of Veterans, and throughout the day nationwide speaking events will highlight their service. Also on that day, the nation observes the U.S. Marine Corps birthday.
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the highlight of the day is the annual Arlington National Cemetery Veterans Day ceremony, this year led by Vice President Mike Pence. Prior to that event. Secretary Shulkin will host a Veterans Day breakfast.
The full list of events for Veterans and Military Families month is available at https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/veteransmonthcalendar.asp