Are you unsure how to support a Veteran or service member going through a difficult time? Helping someone does not require a grand gesture. Small acts – calling a friend or grabbing coffee – can make a big impact.

On Sept. 20 at 2 p.m. EDT, join VA and AMVETS for a Facebook Live event featuring Joe Chenelly, executive director of AMVETS and Megan McCarthy, deputy director of suicide prevention for VA’s Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, for an honest discussion about the challenges that Veterans face.

“Going in and getting counseling from VA and realizing that you need the counseling and realizing that you can get help is the most important thing,” says Jeffrey, an Army Veteran.

During the live video, learn how you can recognize the warning signs of a crisis to support those who need you and find VA resources that can help. We can all play a role in suicide prevention.

This event is part of the #ExploreVA: From Service to Success online event series highlighting how Veterans and their families are using VA benefits. VA benefits help Veterans earn degrees, start careers, buy homes, stay healthy and more. For information on events, useful resources and to learn how to apply for VA benefits, visit Explore.VA.gov.

Published on Sep. 12, 2017

1. Youtube September 22, 2017 at 12:53 am

This is great!

2. Norm Duncan September 15, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Your comments should reflect the VA delay problem in finalizing claims causing many hardships and frustrations. Three year average is too long and the VA should revert to their old line of thinking giving the veteran the benefit of the doubt. They keep sending vets to doctors who have no sympathy and at 98 I was told that I was employable, and denied 100 percent.since age is not in the determination.

• Larry Hopkins September 16, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Anyone ask you to prove you are 98? Lol

3. David Robert Herrera September 15, 2017 at 11:33 am

This is great based on the Vet suicide statistics.
    I am a veteran and retired physician who has give several suicide awareness talks at the local VFW.
    This has been a good experience for me to help fellow vets.

4. Stephen J. Holliday September 15, 2017 at 10:45 am

Melvin, just by getting on this web site you have helped. Thanks

5. Melvin September 12, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I have help but I am not worthy to give help.

6. Melvin September 12, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I am glad to have the help I have. I sometimes wish I could help others but I know I’m not able.

• PTSD Bytes: Host Pearl McGee-Vincent discusses PTSD and relationships with Dr. Leslie Morland and Dr. Kayla Knopp, clinical and research psychologists.

• Today, VA named finalists and Promise Award recipients in Mission Daybreak—a $20 million challenge to help VA develop new suicide prevention strategies for Veterans.

• VA has awarded $52.5 million to 80 awardees in 43 states, the District of Columbia and American Samoa for community-based suicide prevention services in fiscal years 2022 and 2023.