VA announced the appointment of 12 new members to its Veterans Advisory Committee on Education today to be chaired by former U.S. senator James H. Webb.
“Senator Webb has consistently put Veterans first throughout his career,” said VA secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “He will bring outstanding experience and knowledge to the leadership of the committee.”
By statute, the committee advises the secretary on existing VA education benefit programs and services as well as any new programs and services. The committee submits its recommendations and reports to the secretary and may also submit reports to Congress.
“This committee is an extraordinary and diverse group of professionals who will bring their experiences and expertise for the good of our education programs,” Shulkin said.
Serving alongside Sen. Webb on the committee will be:
- Vice Chairman Jared S. Lyon, president and CEO of Student Veterans of America;
- Dawn Halfaker, founder and chief executive of Halfaker and Associates;
- Dr. Sandra Harris-Hooker, vice president and senior associate dean at Morehouse School of Medicine;
- Ashlynne Haycock, senior coordinator for Education Support Services for Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors;
- Abby Kinch, Veteran student and president of the Florida State University Student Veterans of America chapter;
- Jefferson Bingham Miller, senior legislative advisor at McDermott Will and Emery, former seven-term congressman and former chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee;
- Dr. Javier Miyares, president of University of Maryland University College;
- Jack Tilley, former sergeant major of the Army;
- Robert E. Wallace, executive director, Veterans of Foreign Wars;
- Dr. Joseph W. Westcott, executive director of the North Carolina State Approving Agency; and
- Kyle Jerome White, seventh living recipient of the Medal of Honor from the War in Afghanistan.