VBA’s Education Service announced new members to the 2020 Veterans Advisory Committee on Education (VACOE) at an introductory public meeting on a recent teleconference.
The committee holds public meetings to discuss and explore Veterans’ education benefit issues. It also advises the secretary on existing and new VA education benefit policies and programs and services. The committee submits its recommendations and reports to the Secretary and to Congress, Under Federal Advisory and Committee Act (FACA) statute and rules.
The committee’s chair is Sarah Roberts, a West Point graduate who served on active duty as a finance officer in the Army from 2005 to 2010. Roberts is also Head of Military and Veterans Programs for LinkedIn.
“I want to extend my gratitude to the 2020 VACOE for coming together this past week to virtually convene,” said Chairperson Roberts. “Collectively, we will work together to make recommendations that support VA Education Service’s mission to expand access to education benefits for Veterans, service members and dependents… The time we spent together helped lay the foundation for the important work that is ahead.”
- Mona Dexter, chief of staff and senior director, Operations and Communications, US Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Hiring Our Heroes, Vice Chairperson.
- Barry Butler, Ph.D., president, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
- Ashlynne Haycock, deputy director, Policy, Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS).
- Soudarak (Sue) Luangkhot Hoppin, founder and president, National Military Spouse Network.
- Jared S. Lyon, president and CEO, Student Veterans of America.
- Javier Miyares, president, University of Maryland Global Campus.
- Beth E. Morgan, director of Higher Education Transition and Partnerships, The Center for Veteran Transition and Integration, Columbia University.
- John T. Quintas, brigadier general USAF (Retired), director, Military Affairs, Amazon.com.
- Darrell L. Roberts, director of organizing, International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers (SMART).
- Cynthia A. Warrick, Ph.D., RPh, president, Stillman College.
- Joseph W. Wescott II, Ed.D., national higher education consultant, American Legion; and national legislative liaison, National Association of State Approving Agencies.
For more information on VACOE, its charter, meeting minutes, reports and member biographies, go to: https://www.va.gov/ADVISORY/Veterans_Advisory_Committee_on_Education.asp.