This week’s podcast is going to get emotional. Our feature interview is with Army Veteran Gordon Wallace.
We first met Gordon at the VA Pacific Islands Health System in Honolulu. He was playing music in the lobby with a fellow Vietnam Veteran. They strummed on their guitars singing familiar songs providing hospital guests with entertainment. Between songs, Gordon began speaking about his recovery. He talked about returning from Vietnam and being shunned by his family. He wept as he recalled being labeled as “baby killer.”
We invited Gordon to share more of his story on our podcast and he humbly accepted. Gordon is a native Hawaiian and very proud of his service.
Covered in Episode 15:
- Commentary on service from four Battle of the Bulge Veterans
- Interview with Army Veteran Gordon Wallace
- Being drafted.
- Using VA for benefits and counseling
- His battle to receive his benefits
- Being shunned by family when he returned from Vietnam
- Launching the PTSDJournal
- Benefits of group therapy at VAMCs or VetCenters.
- #VeteranOfTheDay Navy Veteran Eugene Cernan
View the full transcript of this episode here.
The #VApodcast is now available in iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Google Play, and Spotify. Search “Borne the Battle” in your podcast app of choice to subscribe.