In 1994, U.S. Army Air Corps WWII Veteran and former POW Clarence Robert “Bud” Shepherd opened a small warehouse in Burlington, North Carolina, to assist 501 (c) (3) non-profit organizations, like schools, churches and daycares.

Shepherd refocused his attention on Post-9/11 combat wounded Veterans in 2012 by creating the Veteran Toolbox Program. He provided them with free toolboxes to assist with their transition into civilian life. Although Post-9/11 Purple Heart Veterans are priority for the program, all Veterans can apply.

Veteran Toolbox Program

Bud Shepherd

U.S. Army Air Corps Veteran Bud Shepherd served as a B-17 tail-gunner in WWII and held as a Prisoner of War.

“I always wanted to do something for Veterans, and I came up with the toolbox program,” said Shepherd. “We talked to some tool companies, and they were interested in getting involved. We talked to Stanley and Black and Decker about what we wanted to do and they came back with one word – absolutely! APEX tools, Wooster paint brushes, and Johnson & Johnson are also great supporters.”

The REAch Veteran Toolbox Program has shipped more than 8,000 toolboxes to Veterans, which contains about $600 worth of tools.

“This is the most satisfying thing I’ve ever done in my lifetime,” said the 94-year-old.

Shepherd works six days a week, gets up at 5 a.m., and leaves work at 6 p.m. most days. But he’s no stranger to hard work.

He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1943, when he was 18 years old. He served in the 8th Air Force in England as a tail-gunner on a B-17. Enemy forces shot down his plane six months before the end of WWII. Shepherd was captured and sent to a prisoner of war camp near Berth, Germany.

“Once we got settled down, things went along fairly smooth because there was 9,000 of us, all Air Force people,” Shepherd recalled. “About 7,500 Americans and a few Brits. We were liberated by the Russians and I made my way back home.”

Watch more about Shepherd’s POW experience.

Bud Shepherd and Son

Tim Shepherd (left) son of Bud Shepherd (right) at the tool room getting 10 boxes ready to ship for the day.

“We hear from a lot of these guys and their families,” Shepherd said. “Last week we got an e-mail saying ‘You saved my husband’s life. He hasn’t been out of the house in three months but ever since he got his toolbox he’s been out in the garage or the backyard working on something.’”

REAch operates in Graham, North Carolina, but ships the toolboxes across the country.

“I go to the VA hospital in Durham, North Carolina, for yearly physicals, but my health is excellent,” he said. “These people down there that I deal with at the VA hospital, they are just good people… In my lifetime, I’ve been blessed, and I enjoy every minute of it.

Learn more about the Veteran Toolbox Program at: https://reainc.org

Published on Sep. 2, 2019

1. Vet September 29, 2019 at 12:17 am

That’s true, Vietnam ended how many years ago..? I do understand that battle fatigue lasts for many years, and you cannot expect a Soldier to “Unsee” any of the horrible images they encountered. But c’mon guys and gals. If you haven’t transitioned to a healthy lifestyle by now a $50 tool box isn’t going to save you. Allow our new fresh brave soldiers a chance at a welcome home gift. Especially the wounded Vets, the people who lost something in the War. Just let go and be mature. You’re a Soldier for life, act accordingly…

2. Realsoldiers September 28, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Umm….maybe because after 9/11 transpired hundreds of thousands young brave men & women ran out and ENLISTED in the U.S. Forces. They weren’t drafted for a year, and they didn’t drive up to Canada to avoid the fight.
    Stop whining you are embarrassing.

3. Jose F Lozada Salgado September 26, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Thank for all your support to us Vets. Actually many people don’t really care for what we have done for the country and for the world freedom. But thanks to persons like you that are given to help us Vets adapt back to the civilian life, we all Vets can have a better life after coming back home. We all are still sad for all our fellows fighters that could not make not back home again. We all are still praying for them and their families.

4. MICHAEL BROWN SR. September 24, 2019 at 10:41 pm

I am a 100% Disabled Veteran working as a Contractor for STROM Aviation @ Summit Aviation. Summit works for Boeing and the US Military (Army) and various other countries CH-47 Chinook Helicopter programs. I am a Logistician assigned to one of the Army programs @Summit. I just met another veteran recently Discharged from the Military who just started working at Summit thru STROM Aviation as a Aircraft Mechanic. He told me he is in need of a Toolbox and is looking for some assistance in acquiring or purchasing a Toolbox. Because he is a young recently Discharged Veteran doing the right thing working as well as just applied for College, I was hoping you could help and assist him in obtaining a Toolbox for his craft and work. Please reply asap to assist this young Veteran in his progress towards gainful employment and career in Aviation Maintenance. We both are Contractors for STRIM Aviation.

5. Earl Bray September 24, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I am a Viet Nam purple heart vet. I applied for the free tool box that I can use a few weeks ago. I sent in all information that was asked for along with my dd214. Thanks to the person or persons that is making this happen. Still being patience to receive it though. Thanks again.

6. Alexander Bennet Hubbard September 24, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Thank you so much for everything you have done for all the veterans!! I myself am a veteran and would like to apply. How can I apply, I can not find a link or application on the website.

7. Ignacio Balli September 20, 2019 at 9:33 pm

I am an 87 year old Korean War Army Veteran. Our outfit was attached to the Marines when they landed at Inchon and fought all the way up to the Chosen Reservoir. I am 100% disabled with frost bitten feet and ptsd. I took it upon myself to read many of the e-mails that were sent to you I have no doubt that the good Lord will bless you for all the benevolent deeds that you have done.Keep up the good work I salute you.and I would be most honored to posses one of the tool boxes. Kudos..

8. Richard J Hoogendorn September 18, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Words cannot describe how grateful I am for the love, compassion and hope you are sharing with our fellow Veterans. Although I need no tools, I am humbled and moved. I am a retired Army Infantry 1Sgt & a 70% Disabled Combat Vet. Reading about what you and your son are doing is the best example of Selfless Service and a priceless gift of gratitude to our Nations Veterans that I’ve heard of since coming back from Iraq. What man doesn’t like tools? They say wounds heal. But phsycological wounds are another sort. My Dad, Capt James Hoogendorn, USMC Ret. passed almost 20 yrs ago from Agent Orange. He taught us the value of honoring & respecting those in uniform. He made it a point to shake the hand of a Veteran and thank him for Service to our Country. Dad emphasized the importance to give gratitude and honor those who gave so much. What you are doing, Sir is truly a God-send. You are helping to remind us all why we loved our country enough to defend her. Your gift of tools brings new hope and purpose to so many forgotten Heros. And you are displaying the greatest form of thankfullness. I Salute You. You inspire us all to do more for our Veterans. I THANK GOD for you all and the work you are doing. May He Bless and Protect your family.

9. John Clarence Lile September 18, 2019 at 7:38 am

I would love to receive one of the Military Tool Boxes. I was stationed at Camp Lejune from 1971 to 1973. I am also disabled with PTSD, Anxiety and Panic Attacks along with two messed up discs in my lower back. Please consider me for one of your tool boxes it would make my home repairs so much easier. Thank You in Advance, John C. Lile

10. James Frazee September 14, 2019 at 5:02 pm

James R. Frazee September 14, 2019 at 5 pm I am a Vietnam Veteran 1968-69 who served in the 25th infantry division. I am 100% disabled with severe PTSD and serious heart issues from Agent Orange ( 3 heart attacks). I would really appreciate one of the tool boxes and tools. Thank you.

11. David Salazar September 13, 2019 at 1:49 pm

I am a Marine Vietnam vet. I am 100% disabled I suffer from PTSD served in Nam from “67” to “68” I received a
    total of 3 Purple Hearts. I would love to get one of your boxed so that I can keep my mind of the PTSD by keeping busy doing things. So if you would consider me it would be greatly ad.

12. William Eugene Tippins September 12, 2019 at 1:27 am

I’m a Totally Disabled Viet- Nam Veteran. If you have any left, I could really use one. I also feel unqualified to receive this honor because my wounds are not visible. I have severe PTSD and Heart issues from Agent Orange May God Bless You. Thanks

13. Mark Sutherland September 11, 2019 at 2:35 pm

How do I apply for the tool box?

14. Lawrence Bergstrom September 11, 2019 at 11:24 am

I am a Vietnam veteran from 1969. I am receiving disability due to agent orange causing heart disease and cancer.
    Your program sounds wonderful and a gift of this toolbox would be appreciated very much. I am glad the Vietnam Vet is finally being accepted. It wasn’t until 1986 when then parade in Chicago about my brothers and sisters that served, freed me from being shamed by those that did not understand.

15. John L George September 11, 2019 at 3:40 am

I’m a Vietnam Era veteran u could use a tool box

16. Gail Bevill September 10, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Bud, thank you for your service and thank you Tim and Bud for your work on the REAch Veteran Toolbox Program. What a generous gift of your time.
    My husband of 48+ years is a USMC Vietnam combat veteran, Purple Heart recipient for wounds received near Hill 65, on February 7,1968.
    Thank you again for your dedication to this worthwhile project, as I can imagine how many veterans have benefited, in so many ways from your generosity, and that of the manufacturers who participate.

17. Tom McFall September 10, 2019 at 4:58 pm

What a great program! I don’t need a tool box but just wanted to say thanks for what you do.

I served in Vietnam, 1968-69 As a MOS 71542, Infantry platoon leader, 173rd Airborne Brigade, primarily in the Central Highlands.

18. Butch Billing September 10, 2019 at 8:10 am

I would love to have a toolbox, 100% disabled, service connected P/T thank you

• dewayne jackson September 10, 2019 at 11:07 am

What is required to get a tool box, I don’t want anything that i am not qualified to have.

19. Raymond Powell September 9, 2019 at 2:48 pm

Send me the tool box.

• Alan Berends September 9, 2019 at 11:07 pm

I don’t need the tool box. I just wanted to say thanks for all you are doing. Like America should be again, Americans helping Americans, not the division we see in the country today.

20. Ruben Ortiz-Santiago September 9, 2019 at 2:47 pm

I’m a disable veteran 100% service connected who served in Iraq from March 2003 to March 2004 with 101st Airborne Division,a tool box would help me a lot,thank you for all for your service

21. Patrick J Crachiolo September 9, 2019 at 11:51 am

Thank you Tim and Bud. I don’t need any tools but i could not pass up the chance to thank a fellow veteran. You both are the epitome of a veteran helping veterans. If I could, I would help you in any way.

Great program you two.

Patrick J Crachiolo
    USAF Vietnam Era

22. Norberto Quiles September 9, 2019 at 9:47 am

I am a retired veteran with 29 years of service, 24 of them in active duty. I reside in Puerto Rico where veterans are not treated with the same diligence as they are in the states. I would like to be considered for the tool box because it will help me to do thing around the house and family.

23. Raymond M Espitia September 9, 2019 at 2:49 am

I am a 100% Disabled Veteran. I served with the
    USAF In Vietnam as a munitions & weapons
    Specialist arming missils on F4 Phantoms. Our unit
    was assigned to a joint task force as gunners on our
    Huey’s…Agent Orange took a toll on my heart (CHF)
    and Aortic valve. Depression is my enemy as well as
    PTSD. A tool box will keep my mind occupied and
    Something to look forward to….Thank you for caring
    for us veterans and God Bless you!

24. Dennis Hume September 8, 2019 at 10:51 pm

I served in the Army during the Vietnam era at Fort Benning GA, Am not a combat veteran, but would like to be considered for a tool box if I could. Many thanks for the good work you do!

25. Christopher Franssen September 8, 2019 at 8:40 pm

I could really use a tool box . I am a combat veteran . I served in the 3rd infantry division and was in the invasion of Iraq. Thanks

26. Robert M Gilkes September 8, 2019 at 6:07 pm

I am a Vietnam Era Veteran and would like to be included in the Toolbox giveaway program project.

27. thomas Howe September 8, 2019 at 5:55 pm

I have all the tools I need but am happy to see you helping vets that could use them. I do NOT want one but thank you for sending to so many that need them. Very good karma!!!
    Tom

28. M. Keith Nichols September 8, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Bud, thank you for your service and sacrifices you encountered with your service to our country. It is commendable what you are doing for all Veterans. Regardless of time or service, or the age of the Veteran each has a story related to their service, no matter if drafted or volunteered . I am a Vietnam Era service member, I served in Korea during Operation Paul Bunyon (1976) (a near war most don’t realize was on the brink of happening), I was in Bosnia in 1997-98 and Iraq 2004- 06. I do not suffer from PTSD, I am 60% service connected disabled, and I have been able to complete my academics with a the VAs support. I love my time in the Army, I’m no Audie Murphy but I did what soldiers do to serve, and am proud of what I was and did. If my wife would allow me to do so I would gladly volunteer again at 64 if my country needed me. If you see fit in sending a toolbox to me, I would be honored in receiving it. If not, know I respect you for what you have done for those who do receive your valuable thoughtfulness. This We’ll Defend!

29. anthony Helton September 8, 2019 at 10:56 am

USMC 1985-89 MCAS El Toro / USS RANGER , Co worker backed over my tool box with tractor : /

30. WALTER BENSON September 8, 2019 at 6:01 am

I served aboard the USS Barbey FF1088 76-80. For the second time in my life I am without work.
    These tools might help in this situation.

31. Kelvin Schultz September 7, 2019 at 11:19 pm

Served in the USMC ,1973-1976

32. john g chambers September 7, 2019 at 9:32 pm

My son used, broke ,lent out or sold all my tools when I could use them now that Im old its hard to get around to use the darn things because of my grenade would Nam 65 USMC.Nice program you started. it was well thought out.If you sent one to me I would only put my poor wife to work as a handyman to save on her trying to kill me.C8266 LOL

33. Michael F Granger September 7, 2019 at 2:33 pm

I could use on of these toolboxes great idea

34. James Berry September 7, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Viet-Nam Vet from 1967 to 1970. 100% P&T with and & attendance. Welcome back brothers. We’ve had a difficult time/. But we’re alive and kicking as they say and try our best to get though everyday. Thanks for your service. I don’t think to much about how the VA medical treatment was years ago. It sure has changed. Changed for the better. I always recommend the VA hospital to vets that think its not worth their time and effort Just wanted to give some positive feed back for VA medical Its great.

35. Gerry McClure September 7, 2019 at 1:03 pm

I think what you are doing is a God send gift to all veterans and their families. I am the widow of a wonderful veteran who served a year in Vietnam. He passed in September 2012. The void I have in my heart will never leave me. He was Virgil Henry McClure Jr. He served as an MP. If I qualify, I would very much like a tool box, which would help out with my repairs I try to do myself. Thank you so much. its a wonderful thing your doing. God bless you.

36. Michael Pinson September 7, 2019 at 12:30 pm

I love to hear when someone is helping Veterans. I am a Vietnam Era Paratrooper 1971-1974. I would love to have the tool box..!

37. David Wayne Palmer September 7, 2019 at 8:32 am

I am I 100% disabled Vietnam vet and I would love to have one of the tool boxes it would definitely help me to stay busy and keep my mind off of what it keeps wanting to go back to thank you very much I truly appreciate this.

38. Kimberly E. Hutchins September 7, 2019 at 5:34 am

THis is a good idea. It puts veterans in a mind set that says with the right tools you can continue to achieve. I am a retiree after 9/11 and a gulf war veteran and am also interested in the tool box.

39. Robert Flesher September 7, 2019 at 4:26 am

Thank you Mr. Shepard for creating this program to positively impact the lives of all who have served our country. I served during Operations Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan back in 2012-2013. As a result of my 8 years of service I am now 70% disabled, but luckily I’m still fighting the good fight unlike the many who sacrificed it all. I wish to apply for the toolbox, but have no problem waiting for older war Veterans to be issued theirs before me selected.
    Thank you!

40. CARLO September 6, 2019 at 10:27 pm

HELLO IM USARMY RETIRED, AND 100 % DISABLE, HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING A TOOL BOX. SORRY FOR ALL CAPS ,BUTTON STUCK

41. dWAYNE H wINRIGHT September 6, 2019 at 10:03 pm

I am a 100% DISABLED VETERAN SERVED IN VIETNAM WHERER i WAS WOUNED FROM CHARLIE AMBUSH ON OUR SITE. i GOT MY PURPLE HEART AND GOT TO COME HOME EARLY WITH LITTLE TO NO APPRECIATIONhAVE CRONIC BACK INJURY AND LIKE SO MANY OTHERS ptSD WITH MEMORYS WAITING TO GO AWAY. i WOULD HIGHLY APPRECIATE GETTING A TOOL BOX TO HELP WITH PROJECTS AND KEEPING IN FOCUSEHAVE A OLD WOODEN RAMP FOR MY WHEELCHAIR THAT NEEDS A LOT OF TENDER LOVING CARE.LIFE DOESNT ALWAYS COME EASY AS WE ALL KNOW TtHANKSTO ALL YOU VETERANS WHO HELP OTHER VETS KEEP GOING WHEN THINGS SEEM TO BE TO ROUGH TO GO ON,BEST REGARDS sFORMALLY SGT dWAYNE wINRIGHT C BATTERY 2ND 31ST ARTILLARY AT LZ BLACKHAWK 8 IN AND 175MM HOWETZERS.GOD BLESS USA VETWRANS AND ALL WHO HAVE WEATHERED HURRICANE DORIENAND VIET NAM VETERANS

42. Francis Casto September 6, 2019 at 8:55 pm

i served in Viet Nam the whole year in 1970. Then again in Iraq 2004-2006. Only 10% disability, don’t know if I qualify but would love to have a toolbox. Great work you are doing. Dis regard those negative comments, I think they are jealous because they don’t have the %^&* to stand up and try to help.

43. Joseph B Zelk September 6, 2019 at 8:52 pm

I served in the Army from 91-93. I was active during the first gulf war even though I did not get deployed. I could really use this tool box. It is one thing I have never accumulated over the years

Thank you for your consideration.

44. J. Carthan September 6, 2019 at 6:46 pm

What an awesome program Mr. Clarence Robert “Bud” Shepherd put together for Veterans. You are a credit to all Veterans sir. We should all aspire to lead by your shining example.

45. Charles Graves September 6, 2019 at 4:35 pm

i’m navy,and i could use a tool box too, why not me?

46. Charles Graves September 6, 2019 at 4:03 pm

why not all veterans, i’m a veterans , why not me too

47. Linda Harper September 6, 2019 at 3:38 pm

I really admire what you are doing for vets. I have PTSD and I try building things from junk to keep the PTSD under control.
    I also like to color when I feel down. The thing about helping vets is, it touches our hearts to see that someone cares enough about us. Whether you send me a toolbox or not, I appreciate that you took the time out of your day to give something so nice to vets. I would be honored to receive one, but as I said if not thank you for blessing someone else.

Linda Harper

48. Jeff Morganstern September 6, 2019 at 2:22 pm

I would like to have the tool box your talking about! Thank you all who are involved with helping out with vets!

49. marshall ely September 6, 2019 at 2:17 pm

this was/ is a wonderful idea. Hope there is enough to go around either way Thank you for you service

50. William F. Conway September 6, 2019 at 2:03 pm

I just read about your program. I think it is a great program. I think the Purple Heart medal is the best looking of all the medals the military gives out but I am glad I did not receive one. I had two tours in Viet Nam and have a 20% disability. There are more deserving veterans that deserve the toolbox. I would like to enter my name in the program. Thanks to all the companys that contribute to this program. My thanks to all the veterans for their service.

51. Debra Brown Warren September 6, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I am a female U.S. Navy Vietnam Era Veteran. My son and only child age 36, was ran over and killed by a drunk driver when my son stopped to help a 2 car accident. 3 1/2 yrs ago. This tool box would be a great help to me, because I now have to go back to fixing and doing my own things. Please consider me when sending out tool boxes. Yes I do know how to use tools. :) Thanking you in advance.
    Debra Brown Warren

52. Dontrell R. Jones September 6, 2019 at 12:14 pm

I am a retired Army Veteran and I just heard about this program to get a really nice tool box. I think this is a really nice thing to do for us veterans and if possible I would like to receive one as well.

53. Donald Hawley September 6, 2019 at 11:39 am

I know there are more worthy Veterans than I who sacrificed it all. If you have given to most Veterans and have a box for me it would be appreciated. USMC 1963-1967 Infantry 0311. Thanks for doing this for the needy Vets and help them recover from what ever ails them.

Semper Fi Don

54. Thomas Lowery September 6, 2019 at 11:34 am

I served in the USN during peace time. I learned a trade which helped me throughout my life. Now my time is growing shorter as the gray hairs begin to multiply. My disability is not a severe as many of those who have written above but I’m still active. Your Toolbox would be a big help around the house and under the hood. I think what you’re doing for the Vets is a great thing and I hope this program can serve many more Vets to come.

55. Lance M Baker September 6, 2019 at 10:43 am

Good morning. Thanks for your service! I am a disabled vet that served 17 years in the active Army, 1974 – 1991. After 6 months out, they offered me a civil service job. I just retired in November 2018 after 44 years of service to the nation. But the back story is that I was gonna book to Canada when I was in high school. I was against the war. But then Tricky Dick ended the draft!! Had a while to reflect, and unbelievably 7 days after high school graduation, I ENLISTED!!!! And what a difference that made in my life! Been around the world, experienced and lived adventures that most of my classmates can only dream of. And thanks to the job, my disability was not a hindrance to my life or work. There were times management struggled to deal with me as I struggled to deal with just staying upright, coherent, and alive. But wouldn’t exchange a moment of it. So if you would be so kind as to consider sending me the toolbox, I would greatly appreciate it. Being retired now, I could sure use it to work and stay productive around the house. Thanks in advance for what you do!! You truly still serve those that served!!

56. William m Inso September 6, 2019 at 10:28 am

I would like to have one

57. Victor Martinez September 6, 2019 at 10:06 am

Would love a tool box. Iraq, Afghanistan Veteran.
    -Thanks

58. David dalazar September 6, 2019 at 8:39 am

I am a marine Vietnam veteran , I was in country in ‘,67’ 68 I am also a 100% disabled veteran that received 3 Purple Hearts, the tool box would help me with my PTSD.KEEPING busy so that I would not dwell with my PTSD. I also would like to thank you for what you are doing to help our veterans and may God Bless you and Thanks

59. David dalazar September 6, 2019 at 8:28 am

I am a Vietnam veteran who served from 66′ to 69′ I am also a a marine. While in nam I received 3 Purple Hearts and I also would like a toolbox to help me with my ptsd and I want to thank you for all that you are doing to help us veterans.

60. donald kenneth ball September 6, 2019 at 7:18 am

great program i was in army 1966 to 1968 viet nam got out for 10 years went in army national guard after desert storm i retired the VA has treated me real well got retirement and disability

61. Michael Tidwell September 6, 2019 at 5:43 am

I would like to have a tool box.

62. scott joseph horton September 6, 2019 at 3:58 am

thank you for your service then and now. joined at 17 with a 110 gt score and my recruiter says ‘how about the infantry?’now im a vet from the early 80,s 11b and 11m bradley driver. a year in korea 3 months on the dmz doing ambush patrols ect… fort hood texas hell on wheels 2nds armor. so many deserving vets ahead of me but i could really put a tool box to good use .thanks again

63. scott joseph horton September 6, 2019 at 3:57 am

64. Brett fanara September 6, 2019 at 2:57 am

Well in probably got the worst luck out of anybody I know Iraq veteran 22 injuries ….had my stuff in Seattle locked up in a apt garage in Kent wa the maintenance guy some how subleased all the garages I was in sd med hold and somebody put a big ass hole in the wall stoled 14,000 in snap on tools all my camping equipment my rims and my jewelry box ….then it gets worse my entire uhaul truck stolen in chula Vista and everything I had my foot lockers all my pic from the war ,my medals,couch,tv,tools,rims etc pic all my 50s stuff for my garage 42,000 all gone then a year after that another storage unit this time completely emptied out ….then I was at the junkyard put my last thing I had my tool bag on a truck walked only 2 cars away to look in a Van and I was in shock some ass hole walked off with my very last bag of tools that I had I mean what is going on in this country it’s just terrible !!!! ….but the very worse thing that happened to me a body shop stoled my 68 camaro I paid them to paint it and they forged my signature the police won’t do anything…And I’ve got the damn title tired of living this terrible life

65. Thomas Shrader September 6, 2019 at 1:47 am

I just want to say to all Vietnam and Korean vets….. You are not forgotten! There are those like me who thank you for your sacrifice and for your service. With respect, please ignore the idiot trolls who know nothing but how to sew discontent. As a spade is a spade, an idiot is just that, an idiot! My father and I are both jarheads. Dad served in Vietnam from 1958 – 1963 and I in peacetime from 1987 – 1989. Pops is just now exploring his options with the VA at age 79 and I have a service connected disability from my service! I have been in the VA system for 30 years and from what I have seen in Texas, Tennessee, NC and now Florida the Korean and Vietnam vets are a huge focus now at the VA and rightly so! I just wanted to tell you all that YOU Are Not Forgotten and again, I thank you all for your service! Semper Fi

66. Kevin September 6, 2019 at 12:58 am

I would like to receive a toolbox if there is any left. I’m a 100% disabled veteran and could use the tools to do projects to keep busy and fix things (or try before I hire a tradesman to do it). Its a way of learning and making yourself independant and keep my hands busy.

Thank you SFC Kevin D Smith USMC and USAR.

67. Darell Koenig September 6, 2019 at 12:36 am

I am proud I served two years in RVN as a Huey pilot. My children and grandchildren are happy to say their OPA is a Vietnam Vet. I have survived prostate cancer and eschemia, and a back injury. Yes, I would do it again knowing the consequences.

68. rene morales September 6, 2019 at 12:31 am

served from 92-96 active marine corps. left with a 10% disability although it feels more like 50% some days worse than others. anyway still live by the code semper fidelis. thank you for doing what you do.

69. Tony Joe Williams September 6, 2019 at 12:31 am

I am a 2 tour Veteran of Operation Iraqy Freedom And Operation enduring Freedom.
    I am disabled but not to the point that I can’t work… I would really appreciate to become a part of the Veterans Toolbox program… please advise what would need to happen in order to make this happen … Thanks

70. bill sims September 6, 2019 at 12:29 am

As in all things, there are always little known military actions that always kinda fall in the cracks. korea and nam are in that category. there was no out pouring of gratitude.i had spent almost 2 years in nam.there was no great fanfare when the plane landed at the processing center nor when i arrived home. no big deal, getting a decent job was the real problem, you were either classified as a crazed.mad dog killer or a physcotic drug head. but i’m ok, have to take head meds to maintain my sanity. anyway, my late father in law was my hero he joined up when he was 15 and made his first combat jump into normandy at 17. he was in the 501 PIB 101st airborne division he and many others suffered immensely at the battle of the bulge they were under equipped and out gunned but they held on.as in your case mr. shepherd A turret gunners life span was limited. I would like to tell you thank you for your sacrifices in helping to keep a tyrant from ruling this world.I’m sure he would give any and all veterans a tool box if he could. before you cut him down, think about it he is trying to help sons and daughters of vietnam vets.the whole idea is to give those that are disabled to get them motivated and maybe get back some confidence in themselves. So some of the haters shoukd consider he is trying to do a good thing but the resources are limited. thank you for your service to all korean and nam vets. PS. don’ need a tool box wife already says that i have more tools than god has followers. crzybill

71. Robert Barret September 5, 2019 at 11:48 pm

I am Vietnam Veteran . Served from 67-71. It says all Veterans can apply so I would like a free tool box also . Thank you.

• norman barren September 8, 2019 at 8:21 am

thank everyone no matter the stories you and everyone deserves a thank you for your service.

72. Robert Barret September 5, 2019 at 11:41 pm

I’m a Vietnam Vet served 67-71 and will like to apply for a tool box because I like doing little thing around the house.Thank you

73. Emilio Gutierrez September 5, 2019 at 11:09 pm

I would like to receive a tool box as it is stated just apply, Vietnam era.

74. Dennis Wilson September 5, 2019 at 11:05 pm

I would really enjoy the tool box my whole life I have done what I could to help others I don’t charge anyone for my work in fact I started something that has helped a lot of people I started a foundation called ( Used Medical Aids foundation people donate items lie electric wheel chairs, wheel chairs, scooters, walkers, and other things. I go through them to make sure they are safe for reuse I don’t charge anyone for the items they get!! the only thing I ask for is when they no longer needed the item to please bring it back for others to use. If people donate money I will give them a recite for what they donate and it all goes back into buying new parts to fix things. I haven’t had any returns on equipment that breaks and I even have people come over to see if I can do some repairs on their equipment and if I have the part I don’t I don’t charge but If i don’t have the part I point them in places where they might get one.

75. Richard Rinaldi September 5, 2019 at 10:42 pm

I could sure use a tool box as alot of my tool are broken this would be a big help around the house

76. Don T Hough Sr September 5, 2019 at 9:56 pm

I to am a Vietnam Veteran that would love to receive a tool box. These new tools would be a nice replacement for the out-dated tools that I have. I can still use my hands pretty good to do odd jobs around my house and my sister’s house. She is more disabled than I am. Don’t know how much time I have before my back goes out. If not a tool box, a lot of prayers will be appreciated. Thanks for your consideration.

77. SFC Shinaberger, Brian September 5, 2019 at 9:33 pm

I am still in the Army for another 4 years then I will retire, if my doctors don’t make me retire before then. I am a Wounded Warrior and I do a lot of home projects at home and sometimes for our office at work instead of waiting for base maintenance support because they don’t always show up and it takes to long once they actually come. Receiving a toolbox would really help my out and it would mean a lot since a lot of Soldiers like my self get dismissed and treated like there is nothing wrong with us just because we weren’t shot or injured in the way to qualify for a purple heart. I was injured and also diagnosed with PTSD and its been a hard struggle dealing with it and realizing I need help. So if you have an extra one that you wouldn’t mind sending to me I would be very grateful and appreciative, but if I don’t qualify that’s ok I’m used to it and thank you for your time and consideration anyway. I just want to say thank you again for your consideration and for what you do for us Veterans I truly appreciate it very much and it feels good knowing there are people like yourselves out there that are doing great things for us and still appreciate what we do and the sacrifices we have all made; have a wonderful day.

78. Carl Crawford September 5, 2019 at 9:26 pm

I would like a toolbox also if one if there is one available it would be very much appreciate i am also a Vietnam veteran if not i thank you for the chance to apply for one what you are doing very nice of you, Thanks for the chance to apply. I was there in 1969-1970 and would go back again if it would help keep a child from going.

79. Dian Velasquez mcKaig September 5, 2019 at 8:59 pm

Hello there. In a 100% disabled lady veteran. I suffer from severe depression. I would like to request a took box
    I’ve thought doing some yard tinkering and think this could come in handy. Thank you for all you do to help us.
    Dian Mckaig

80. Betty Trimble September 5, 2019 at 8:50 pm

My husband (Air Force) and I (Navy) are both Korean vets. Neither of us qualify or need a toolbox. John because he can barely hit a nail, and me because a computer is my toolbox. Just had to say that you are doing an amazing thing here. Thank you! To the several people who said they’d love to start woodworking, here’s a freebie for them. Most lumberyards have a large assortment of cut-offs and mistakes. These pieces are thrown into a bin for recycling or selling in bulk to whoever needs them. Don’t ignore a rare wood business. They, too, end up with pieces that aren’t suitable for their regular customers. Yet these beautiful woods can be made into anything from earrings to bolo ties to jewelry boxes. I bought a really beautiful stitch ripper set into just a tiny piece of wood. The gentleman who made it told me that was a vet, and that making pretty sewing items to sell in his wife’s quilt booth was what helped keep his sanity. Take woodworking lessons at a community college or adult program. Look up your local woodworker’s group – there is always one around. Don’t let anything stop you from getting started!

81. John Bittner September 5, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Would like a tool box for my home and auto projects. I am an 86 year old disabled veteran who served in the Seabees.

82. David A. Edwards September 5, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Hello Fellow Veteran,
    I am a Vietnam Area Veteran. I was honorably discharged after serving thirteen years with the AF. Because of a fractured wrist, I am not able to improvise working tools. I build Ramps for those who need it. Please help me replacing some of the tools recently stolen from my truck.
    Thanking you in advance.
    David

83. louis toussaint September 5, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Would love one of the toolboxes…sure would come in handy working in my little shop…served in vietnam in 1968..

84. john t. Gaffney sr September 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I served on board the USS connole between 1972-1975 I currently am on disability and would really appreciate a tool box. So I can repair things around my house. This is a good thing you’re doing for vets. Thank you

85. Vernon Green September 5, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I served in Korea in 1963 and 1964. I recently was awarded a 30 percent disability which was service connected and I could really use some new tools. My resources are limited and I have to do most of my own repairs. I thank you for your wonderful support.

86. Roger Lynn Jackson September 5, 2019 at 6:52 pm

I am a disabled Vietnam Vet that also lost my wife to cancer this year. I think this could help me with my disabilities and my recent loss. I agree that the vets with more critical needs should come first.

87. Glen Arnold Kane September 5, 2019 at 6:49 pm

I don’t write very well but I am a WWII and Korea veteran and was awarded the Purple Heart.

• Terry Sayle September 8, 2019 at 4:55 am

Dear Sir,
      This program you started with the toolboxes is one heck of a way to help Veterans but to say thank you for your service. I am a disable veteran served in Vietnam 1967-1968.

88. Jennifer Thornburg September 5, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Served 21 years and working but not making very much. I have 7 kids and sure could use this but I see there a lot of more deserving vets here. if you have an extra I raise my hands.

89. James Ludwig September 5, 2019 at 6:25 pm

I also would like one of your toolboxes, A Viet Nam Vet Purple Heart Recipient and 100% disabled, Thank You.

90. Oliver Moffett September 5, 2019 at 6:10 pm

THANK YOU MR. SHEPHERD FOR BEING so kind to us vets.IT a blessing to have my own tool box,i’m a disabled vet.Thank our LORD JESUS for touching your heart to bless us vet.

91. Robert Bruce Stewart Jr September 5, 2019 at 6:02 pm

I served 24 years in USAF from 1951-1975. Rated 50% disabled. Some one recently stole my tools from my garage. Could really use a new tool box with tools. I flew 4,000 hours mostly in B-52s many of them from Guam over Vietnam.

92. Ronald L Hill September 5, 2019 at 5:23 pm

I’m a 25 year veteran serving all over the world on 5 ships. I’m 75 and my wife recently got 3 goats & wants to breed them next year…so we have made a Goat Shack for the current 3 & planning a larger one for the new ones. My wife is very handy and uses my tool however, several have been misplaced (?) A tool box is really needed at the Hill house. Respectfully Ron Hill

93. Don Slee September 5, 2019 at 5:22 pm

I am a Vietnam vet. I feel as many other Vietnam vets feel, that we served during a time when we were considered an evil part of a war machine, when in reality we were answering the call of our country. I still struggle with this issue when I stop to think about it. While I did not receive combat wounds, I still carry mine deep in my heart.

I would like a toolbox if one became available. My rest and relaxation is using my hands to make or repair things. I’m sure these tools would come in handy.

Thank you.

94. Anthony Montoya September 5, 2019 at 4:59 pm

I am a Vietnam Veteran. Having served there between the years 1967 thru 1968. I would appreciate a box of tools to help my grandson learn how to love, respect and use them. Along our path he and I could make lasting memories about his grandpa.
    Respectfully Submitted,
    Anthony Montoya

95. Shelley Meyers September 5, 2019 at 4:42 pm

What a great program, thank you! I am a Vietnam era veteran and retired from the Air National Guard in 2014. I am attempting to remodel an old house and would love a set of tools, if you deem me eligible.

96. Marlan Dale Shannon September 5, 2019 at 4:34 pm

I am a Vietnam bet I was awarded a Silverstar I have I have ptsd

97. Dave Zebrowski September 5, 2019 at 4:33 pm

I am a Viet Nam Veteran with 100% service connected disability for Agent Orange I am 68 years old and would love to have a military tool box.

98. James Allen Barnes September 5, 2019 at 4:22 pm

I’m Medically retired, served nine years in the Navy during the Vietnam conflict. Submarine service was the best and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I visit the local VA hospital in Fresno twice a month for various services. Being disabled I’m unable to do the kind of work I once enjoyed. I had a toolbox for repairs around the apartment and my car that gave me a sense of usefulness but they were stolen. Really depressed me because I can’t afford to replace them. You should be very proud of this toolbox program you have created. It must bring joy to the many veterans that have received them. This is outstanding and so very much appreciated by all of them. Thank you for your service to this great country of ours.

99. John Sizemore September 5, 2019 at 4:20 pm

I need a tool box, thank you

100. Michael J Rousseau September 5, 2019 at 3:58 pm

As a retired navy vet, I think that this is a wonderful program.
    Keep up the great work.
    MJR

101. CLYDE SCHILLER September 5, 2019 at 3:58 pm

I am a Vietnam Veteran (11B). I don’t have a purple heart (than the lord) but am handicapped. The tool box would be nice, BUT please put me at the bottom of the list, as there are MILITARY HEROES in more need than I am. This is a great program and please continue your good work.

102. richard m borders September 5, 2019 at 3:29 pm

army vet 1967thru1969 would love to have the tool box thanks

103. patrick loverde September 5, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Korean veteran pat loverde

104. Robert Thompson September 5, 2019 at 2:45 pm

I served during Vietnam era i was at the time angry that I did not go to Nam but now I realize how lucky I was.God Bless those who did Hope you all enjoy the tools

105. William J King September 5, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Bud this is a fantastic program. It’s helping many veterans in more ways then can be described. I live in Florida and if there is any way I can be of assistance please let me know. I am not affiliated with any tool company but may be of help in other ways

106. Geary Long September 5, 2019 at 1:49 pm

I’m shocked at how many didn’t read the article! All vets can apply. Vietnam vets too!

107. Robert Garcia September 5, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Disabled Vietnam Veteran and Purple Recipient. I would appreciate one of the tools boxes. As the tools will come in handy in working on the home and on my car. Thanks!

• James Abernathy September 5, 2019 at 4:35 pm

I would truly like to have one of the tool boxes to help around my house. I am a 100% service connected disabled Vietnam veteran.

• Mary Welch September 5, 2019 at 8:08 pm

What a wonderful program Mr. Shepherd! THANK YOU for your inspiration and encourgement to veterans and most of all, THANK YOU for your service! May you always be blessed.

• Mary Welch September 5, 2019 at 8:10 pm

THANK YOU to ALL Veterans. God bless each and every one.

• Gregory Morrison September 5, 2019 at 8:51 pm

I am a retired US Army SFC, I retired after 20 years of Active duty. I am 100% ..I retired on December 1, 1988 can I receive one. Gregory Morrison, Arlington TN

• Jerome Rillera September 6, 2019 at 5:43 pm

How can I get one of these tool boxes tell me what I have to do please I’m a combat Vietnam veteran thank you I look forward to your responses

108. ralph huff September 5, 2019 at 1:29 pm

im a disabled vet from the viet nam era i had heart suregery 5 years ago and its hard doing thing around the house, i would very much appreciate it if i could get a free tol box , at least its something for free i could get

109. William Steinbrook September 5, 2019 at 1:01 pm

I am a Vietnam veteran and this tool box would help me tremendously!4

110. Raymond R Sherwood September 5, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Hi and thanks for all you have done and continue to do. I am a retired USAF Msgt on VA disability and in an unemployable status. I do repairs for friends and neighbors as my body permits. Should you determine my need meets your parameters, your gift will not go unappreciated. Be blessed always . Thanks a Viet Nam veteran time period only.

111. Urval Hardiman September 5, 2019 at 12:49 pm

I am a world war two vet.

112. Jean Howell September 5, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Hello. I was in the Pre Gulf war from 1989-1991. I was stationed @ NAS Keflavik, Iceland in the US Navy and was very proud of my time serving there. I was discharged before my service was up. I wanted to go longer but became diagnosed with PTSD among many other diagnoses. I did not receive any special medal like you did. I commend you for being so brave to sacrifice as much as you did and even now you keep giving of your service in this way. It would be an honor, privalage and great therapy for me to receive one of these tool boxes. I make many things from scratch with what I do have which isn’t much. I have been told that I am very talented with my handiwork. I don’t pursue a job with this talent because it’s my therapy for my PTSD. I am 100% disabled and have been for over 24 years. If you do choose me to receive a toolbox I would be so greatly honored, but I ask that you help those you feel really need and deserve them first. Thank you for your honor and thoughtfulness.

113. Honorio D Camacho September 5, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Yes it is a big help to all us veterans anywhere in the world it will keep us busy?Can you send me. I expect it to be mailed very soon thru LBC Sir.Thank You very much and GOD BLESS

114. Joseph L Failla September 5, 2019 at 12:42 pm

A Korean vet in need, Thank you

115. Ruth Elaine Webster September 5, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I am a Post-Vietnam Era veteran (Peacetime) and served from 1980 to 1987. I am Permanently and Totally Disabled and can no longer work. I am 65-1/2 years old. I am curious to know if I can apply for a toolbox. I have found that, because I am not a post 9/11 veteran and NOT a Combat Veteran, and also a female veteran, I have been excluded from MANY, MANY things.

Talk about being “forgotten!” Those of us who are NOT Combat Veterans, female veterans, etc., are, in my opinion, either forgotten or blatantly excluded from almost every VA program designed to provide “helping hands” to veterans.

I certainly could use a toolbox. Don’t know if I am eligible.

116. harold mitchell September 5, 2019 at 12:38 pm

i service 1 year in vietnam 1969/70 I am now 100%disable would like to have a toolbox.

117. Urval Hardiman September 5, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Urval Hardiman September 5,2019 at 11:33 am

118. Mike Collins September 5, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Come on, gentlemen. If you’re a VN, Korea or WWII vet, you’ve had over 50 years to re-acclimate to the world, buy a basic set of hand-tools, and find something to occupy your time. By now, except for the youngest of the VN-era, you are almost certainly retired. The purpose of this program is to give young *combat-wounded* vets who really haven’t ever done anything besides going to war some “tools” – literally and figuratively – to get themselves out of the house and doing something productive. It’s not a participation trophy.

It’s kind of embarrassing to see a bunch of retired men scrapping over free stuff that really isn’t going to benefit you in any meaningful way. But, if you really need a few tools and just can’t afford them, let me know and I’ll personally take you to your local Harbor Freight store and buy you a box of basic household hand tools. Jeez!

119. THOMAS J. Mc Gowan September 5, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Vietnam Vets served our country when asked to do so. I am 100% service connected Vet and sure could use the tools for my therapy.

120. Urval Hardiman September 5, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Yes i would to have a tool box

121. Stehpen Ferguson September 5, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Thank you Bud. I would like to apply.

122. Gary A VanDervort September 5, 2019 at 12:09 pm

I served during the Vietnam Era. Many of our brothers did not come home from over seas.Those of us that did have had to try with numerous adversities. Most all of my tools I had before I enlisted are gone. Any replacements would be greatly appreciated. God bless you all for what you are doing.

123. Charles Browning September 5, 2019 at 12:07 pm

I am a retired 20 year Vietnam Veteran and a Bronze Star recipient. I am 90 percent Combat disabled, l have a 10 Service related disability for a total of 100 percent disabled.
    I am still very active doing odd jobs around the house and for neighbors. I would love to have a toolbox.

124. GARRY T COURTNEY September 5, 2019 at 11:55 am

I am a Vietnam Veterans on disability and draw social security and a small VA check every month just enough to live on like all veterans are doing if you have any extra I would like to have one to kinda do some up keep on my car and home myself to save me some money thanks for helping veterans.

125. Rene Estrada September 5, 2019 at 11:52 am

I am a Vietnam veteran and can use this tool box to do some of my own repairs and help my neighbors, instead of having to call a repairman for lack of tools. How can I apply for one?

126. Delberto Medina September 5, 2019 at 11:49 am

Disabled Viet Nam Veteran and Purple Recipient. I would appreciate one of the tools boxes. As the tools will come in handy in working on the home and on my car. Thanks!

127. Roger G. Fuller September 5, 2019 at 11:46 am

I am a disabled Viet Nam vet. I would sincerely appreciate a tool box to help me putter around the house. Thank you for your consideration.

128. Ronald R Huntley September 5, 2019 at 11:44 am

How does one apply for this?

129. David Tardif September 5, 2019 at 11:43 am

I can’t believe that tool boxes are given away free ! I recently had my tools “disappear” from a job site I was on. I think I know who did the theft but cannot prove it. Too many guys on the job. It was a cloth type denim bag that I’ve used for years in construction and electrical work. Just replacing a few tools has set me back a lot and it would be greatly appreciated if I were to win this lottery of a new box and tools.
    I spent 8 years in the service from 1972 to 1980. Loved every bit of training and the jobs that were required of me. If I had to do it again I would gladly enlist. It taught me so many things being around different people and different walks of life. All I can say is, “What an experience”.
    I hope all veterans will get their benefits when getting out of the service. It has made a difference to me after getting laid off 10 years ago.

130. Ted A. Roland September 5, 2019 at 11:38 am

Thank you for all your great work helping Vets. I too served in USAR as a combat Medic for 6 years. My dad served in WWII and retired as Command Sgt. Major. Would love to have a toolbox. Thanks again for your service.

131. DAVID R STONE September 5, 2019 at 11:36 am

I served in Vietnam% service connected due to injuries,, but did not receive a Purple Heart. (I did not ask for it, others more deserving) This tool box would be extremely helpful for house and vehicle maintenance,,,Thank you for your time.
    Kind Regards

132. Donald Lancaster September 5, 2019 at 11:33 am

I am a Navy veteran of the Vietnam Era who was awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary as a member of the task force during the battle of Koh Tang. This was the last official action of the Vietnam War. I was serving aboard an ammunition ship at that time. I later joined the Army National Guard while returning to work for the US Forest Service as a wildland firefighter and heavy equipment operator. I was medically retired from the National Guard in 2010 after a femoral artery bypass and heart attack. I retired from the US Forest Service in 2013. I would love a tool box to help me stay busy. I am very proud to be a part of a brotherhood of veterans who have served this nation and firmly believe in God and country. I want to personally thank you for your service a great sacrifice during WWII.

133. Ray Balzano September 5, 2019 at 11:29 am

I’m a 20yr veteran of the queen of battle 11-B INFANTRY! I have seen many combat zones in many countries. Numerous injuries to many to list.
    I pray everyone gets one and would love one myself and everyone builds something beautiful with the toolbox.

134. Ray Balzano September 5, 2019 at 11:24 am

I would love a tool box. 20 year veteran of the queen battle INFANTRY 11-B
    Bad knees, bad back , can’t hear, ptsd ! The list is numerous. I’ve fought for this country in many countries as have many soldiers. I pray we all receive one and build something beautiful with it.
    Thank you.

135. Morton E. Shafran (ret.) September 5, 2019 at 11:19 am

This is a wonderful program to help around our house. I am a veteran (Navy) of the Korean War, and I do believe Purple Heart victims should get first assistance, but if yuou have any left over, I’d like one. Thank y ou..

136. David Michael Joseph September 5, 2019 at 11:13 am

Please submit your fax # to me for Identification to submit my DD214.
    Vietnam Vet (1966-71) fully 100% disabled (Combat Vet) Tet Khe Sahan survivor. (1967-68)

137. Darren G Gonzalez September 5, 2019 at 11:06 am

Thank You Bud!

138. Jeffery Scott Evisizer September 5, 2019 at 11:04 am

I am a veteran fro Desert Storm and would love to receive a tool box. My first duty station was in Guam (beautiful place btw) on board the USS White Plains AFS-4 and my second duty station was in San Diego (32nd st.) on board the USS Harry W. Hill DD-986

139. dave smith September 5, 2019 at 11:02 am

I am a 66 year old Vietnam Vet how would like a tool box.

140. William McNabb September 5, 2019 at 11:02 am

I am a vet with many disabilities through the VA. I appreciate all you are doing for our fellow vets and thank you for your efforts to help out those who need it. I am not asking for anything but after reading about your program I wanted to say thank you. God bless.

141. Mark Overlie September 5, 2019 at 11:00 am

I am (finally!) currently disabled after working to receive VA a medical care for Gulf War Syndrome. I am also finally able to begin pursuing a career learning to be an electrician.
    I could really use the tool box and tools to help get me on my way! My education requires me to purchase tools initially and along the way. Minimizing that would be very helpful to avoid further student loan debt.
    Thank you for reading this. Sorry it got long.

142. John E Langhals Jr. September 5, 2019 at 10:59 am

What a wonderful program. I am a Korean 85-year-old veteran. I have some tools left from the 1960s when I worked at NASA. They are quite worn and if possible I would be proud to have a toolbox. Take care of those that made the sacrifice for us first !
    Thank you call me Jack !

143. Frank J. De Agostine September 5, 2019 at 10:56 am

I salute and God Bless all who have made this program possible for our Veterans. It’s good to see people like yourselves putting together this unique program. God knows we can’t depend on the government to assist us Veterans any further. I’m a former Marine during the 50’s and did not see any action but had the honor of associating with several of the men that made it back from Korea’s Frozen Chosen. Semper Fi

144. Glenn E Davies September 5, 2019 at 10:55 am

ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL. Vietnam Vet 65-67, 69-70.

145. Allen Johnson September 5, 2019 at 10:34 am

Just a Vietnam Vet saying thank you.

146. Scott Morton September 5, 2019 at 10:25 am

I am interested in learning how to be issued one of your tool boxes, I am a 100% disabled Veteran that served in 5 combat tours. I find it therapeutic working with my hands, and helping others.

147. Donna King September 5, 2019 at 10:22 am

My husband is a vietnam veteran with purple heart
    Has PTSD and porphyia cutena agent orange skin disease
    Please consider him for a tool box
    Thank you for all u do for the veterans

148. Alan W Harrison September 5, 2019 at 10:14 am

I am A 21 year Navy veteran 80% + unemployability = 100% disabled. I also have PTSD. I was honorably retired in 1994. I had a back operation which helped a lot as I can now walk and don’t need my wheelchair anymore. I am the face of Guitars for vets a program that gives free lessons and a free guitar to any vet that wants to learn, we feel that music has healing properties and helps vets to overcome their PTSD symptoms if just for a while. I was one of the first recipientsAnd it has helped me to function on a higher level. I would really appreciate a tool box as it would help me to repair not only used guitars but be more productive at home with repairs etc. Thank you, even if I don’t receive a tool box at least I know others receive them from you and any help for my brother veterans is a good thing.

149. Gerald James Watson September 5, 2019 at 10:11 am

It took 20 years to admit that I was a VietNam Veteran. Upon my return in 1972 I was spit on, called names that I had never heard, avoided socially, and then returned to school for a PhD program but left before I was asked to leave, returned to work with my previous employer, avoided the VA due to rumors that they shot you up with thorazine and pushed you out the dor.
    The war has never left, images still exist, I still wake up at night from nightmares and will until I no longer inhabit the earth. In all honesty I am glad that I served, I learned a lot, the experience helped me grow up and I would gladly return under different rules. The experience help me to put things in perspective. to help me realize what is important. So many people concern themselves with stuff that does not mean anything. ( DMS- Don’t mean S**T)
    I would appreciate a tool box so that I can attach my Viet Nam (Army) sticker and my Always a Soldier sticker to it.

150. Sandy Lemlein September 5, 2019 at 9:42 am

I too am a Vietnam Vet, 75 now. I was in commucnications. I came back sort of messed up. But I got Married and on occasion I go off on y wife or have a bad dream. NO have never ever hit her. We’d just have big arguments over nothing. Anyway I love doing my own repairs on my home,and would love the tools, they would be a big help to me, keep me busy I’m retired now

151. Terry a behrend September 5, 2019 at 9:39 am

I’m a Viet vet. US Navy from 1965 to 1971. Went to school-now I’m a retired family physician. However I am still not well off. I would REALLY like to have a tool box.
    Terry A Behrend

152. jerry sinkovec September 5, 2019 at 9:38 am

I could use a tool box kit to help maintain the house, but never got a purple heart. The more deserving who received one should get them first.

153. Gabriel Gunther September 5, 2019 at 9:36 am

I am a disabled Vet and would sincerely appreciate a tool box.

• PAULINE LILLEY September 5, 2019 at 9:49 am

Hello, and good morning I am a disabled Gulf War Veteran and I am a female I sure would love one of those tool boxes for myself because I do a lot of small odds and end jobs and always need a tool and don’t have it and have to wait for the hubby to get home to get it for me so if I have a tool box of my own I won’t need to wait. How do I get one thank you so very much this is such a wonderful idea

• Camille johnson September 5, 2019 at 10:02 am

Good morning, I am a recent retiree of 27 years active service. I have recently divorced and I would love a tool box in order to do small jobs around the house since I am now living alone.

This is a phenomenal program, grateful to have come across this.

Kind regards,

154. John F. Raines September 5, 2019 at 9:32 am

Dear Sirs; I retired from service in 1994 and so missed 911. I am a disabled veteran at 40 % due to a peacetime accident while working with the Mississippi Air National Guard .I went on to retire from the Air Force Reserves in 1994 with approximately 34 years of service .
    I would very much appreciate being put on the wait list for a tool box . I well remember the fully equipped tool box that I was issued in 1957 when I started to work on b-52’s at Ellsworth A.F.B. in Rapid City , South Dakota. To bad we were not able to keep them. It was a great tool box .
    Thank you for your consideration.

155. Marie Stimpson September 5, 2019 at 9:29 am

Good morning! I am a Veteran of 30 years and 4 days and retired now. I would love to learn how to get a toolbox from you. I have PTSD and am helping others and volunteering my help with outside work and cleaning up their yards. With my PTSD I find it relaxing with mowing, trimming trees, and weed eating people yards. I would greatly appreciate and be honored to receive a toolbox. Thank you for your service and have a great day and a better week!

V/R
    Marie

156. Janice Schwartz September 5, 2019 at 9:14 am

My husband was in the United States Army Second Infantry Indian Head organization in Japan and a recipient of a bronze star. He later was assigned to a group of proud men during the Vietnam war. I would like to nominate him to receive one of your proud tool boxes. He is 87 years of age and very proud of his Army background. It would be an honor.

157. Johnny E. Adams September 5, 2019 at 8:56 am

I would love a box. I served in the Navy during the Vietnam era. I congratulate you for the job your doing to help others. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

158. Ben Bloomer September 5, 2019 at 8:45 am

I am an ARMY veteran of 12 years and am partially disabled. It’s a pretty great thing that Bud wants to give back to fellow soldiers. You people that criticize this guy because you don’t qualify for his program should be ashamed. I don’t care if he says he is only giving “gifts” to 35 year old Korean vets or only light wheel mechanics. That is his right and his money to spend. My Dad served in Vietnam, my grandpa in WWII, and my great-uncle in WWI. None of them had their hand out and whined about not getting their share. They were proud of serving their country. I have a disease that causes brain tumors and deal with pain every day, but I hate people trying to feel sorry for me. That only makes you weak.

159. Ron Cowher September 5, 2019 at 8:25 am

While I’m sure many veterans would appreciate a tool box full of tools, myself included, after seeing pictures
    of some recipients I feel totally unworthy. These Purple Heart veterans deserve more and have my heartfelt admiration.
    Gentlemen, America owes you a ton of gratitude for your sacrifice.

Bud Shepard, may God bless you with his abundance in moving forward with your program.

160. William h wise September 5, 2019 at 8:13 am

I’m a Vietnam veteran and have looked for ways of helping all vets. I don’t live close to a V S center of hospital so volunteering wasn’t a n option. I like the idea of the toolbox program, please let me know if there’s anything I can do to assist. Thanks look forward to heR I t from you.

161. Travis Johnson September 5, 2019 at 8:08 am

My best wishes for your safety during and after Hurricane Dorian.

162. darryl woodall September 5, 2019 at 8:02 am

I would love to have a tool box, I am a Navy Vet, I severed from 1982 to 2002 n I have PTSD, I work at the prison in my town n they have 2 pods/ cell that houses over 80 Vet, please let me know how to get a tool box thank You

163. Roberto September 5, 2019 at 7:54 am

This is great! This good man is focus on one specific group of veteran. At least there is hope for one group, those in the post 9-11 epoch. For the others someone else will come…

164. Orvis C. Addleman September 5, 2019 at 7:46 am

Bud, I am curious to know if the name Orvis M. Addleman rings any memory for you. My dad would be about your age and he was also in the U.S. Army Air Corp. in England. He was a mechanic on the B-17 as I recall. I realize this is a long shot but one never knows until they ask. He was from Pennsylvania.

Thank you for your time and thank you for your service!

God Bless

Orvis C. Addleman
    Retired U.S. Army

165. Algie Cook September 5, 2019 at 7:33 am

Thank you Mr. Shepherd for you do for every vet aro uh and the world. We are our number one priority.

166. Michael C Riley September 5, 2019 at 7:14 am

I think they are your boxes you made them and you should distribute as you see fit. But let’s not forget the PTSD who are suffering from the change from one lifestyle to another.

167. Ron A Worthan September 5, 2019 at 7:13 am

Thank you for your continued service. I’m proud to be considered to be a fellow veteran. Ron. A Worthan

168. Steven Lee September 5, 2019 at 7:12 am

This is an amazing program. While I am not a post 9/11 veteran, and did not serve in combat, I can see how this generous gift could have a tremendous impact on returning combat vets. I am not applying for the toolbox as I have no need for it. I already own plenty of tools, and I have adjusted well to civilian life. Reading about this project made me think of the emotional impact of receiving support directly from another veteran must be. It also gave me an idea. I started accumulating my tools when I bought a Craftsman hand tool set in 1972 with my first income tax refund after enlisting in the Air Force in 1971. I have no one in my family who will use my tools after I die. My idea is to find a way to bequeath all of my tools to a veteran who can make good use of them.

169. Eugene Ousley September 5, 2019 at 7:04 am

how do I get my tool box

170. Michael Arent September 5, 2019 at 6:21 am

You have no idea how much the attention to post 9/11 veterans affects those of us wounded in Vietnam. We are the forgotten. What we endured after returning from service in Vietnam should never be accepted. Just take a look at the statistics of the number s KIA in Vietnam and number of wounded in Vietnam. There is no comparison to the post 9/11 veterans. It is now when we are retiring that we need some support and are truly feeling left behind.

171. Ernst Fusco September 5, 2019 at 5:10 am

Thanks for everything

• Uncle Sam September 28, 2019 at 8:32 pm

The War in Vietnam was a horrible experience for a whole lot of men and women, including family of injured and k.I.A. All wars and conflicts are considerably a horrible experience. The lasting effects of war causes trauma that can last a lifetime. Men and women who serve literally experienced a hell on earth atmosphere. You can’t compare “Wars” and complain that “Your” war experiences were worse than others. Your comments are childish and unbecoming of disciplined U.S. service member. Remember what you were taught. Don’t ask for handouts because you served in Nam or Desert Storm, or any other the theater of combat. We are all in the shit together whether you served in World War 1 or 2. Iraq was no walk in the park my friend. Excruciating heat conditions, I.E.D.’s explosions daily. I lost several good men in the Iraq War and I’m very proud of their efforts. Yes Vietnam Veterans were not greeted by communist sympathizers and hipsters back home. You great soldiers were treated horrible. But that is in the past, let’s live in today. I am proud of all Veterans who sacrificed time and life to our great country. All bull aside, your War ended a very very long time ago. You and other Vietnam Veterans have had a really long time to adjust and build a new life for yourself. The Middle east War just ended last year buddy. Allow these guys and gals the opportunity you didn’t have. Grow up and move on troop and stop acting like a dam nancy.

172. Martin Ferrell September 5, 2019 at 5:03 am

Hi, My husband was just shy of 20 years in military before being medically discharged. My husband suffers from several medical conditions with PTSD being the most serious. He lost several soldiers overseas and at night the whole bed trembles as he screams like he’s still in war. My husband was in desert storm and Iraqi freedom. He’s told mevthings that he’s seen and been through. He has seen a psychiatrist for 5 years now and sufferers everyday with physical and mental pain. My husband doesn’t go outside and our house is very dark on inside. He keeps the windows covered with curtains and blankets. I’m doing everything I can to help him I love my husband very much and it hurts me to see him in all this different pain. Please consider this toolbox for him I believe it could help give him new hobby. Thank you for your help!

173. Ronald E. Lacy September 5, 2019 at 4:15 am

WOW, what can I say, YOU are an amazing man, and to be still alive and healthy at 94? You really are blessed.

I served 4 years in the Navy and got out JUST before the big Vietnam build up. One year after getting out I went into law enforcement, in the San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay to be exact. I was a deputy sheriff with Alameda County, which covered Oakland CA and Berkeley CA. Oakland was the headquarters for the Hell’s Angels and the Black Panthers, and Berkeley was the headquarters for most of the ANTI War, anti Vietnam movement, which were secretly the first BIG anti government and anti America movement.

I personally had run-ins with the Hell’s Angels and with the Black Panthers, had to work 3 riots in Berkeley between 1967 and 1999. Just to name a FEW of the issues we had there. Later I had run-ins with the brass of our department. I left there after 12 years a very angry man, and went to work for a small department in the mountains. My wife and I had been making $2,500 per month together, but when we moved my wife could not find work and they only paid me $900 per month, a total loss of $1,600 per month. But after 3 years I met the Lord Jesus. Later when I learn a lot about PTSD I realized that IS what I was suffering when I left Alameda County.

I am really excited to hear about you and what you are doing for the veterans. May GOD Bless you…
    IF you are a praying man, please pray for me. I was very healthy until 3 years ago! I am now 75 years old and have LOTS of health problems. I have been going to private doctors and to the VA. I have had like15 tests over the last year, and NO ONE has been able to diagnose my problem.

174. Edna Bolin September 5, 2019 at 4:11 am

What about Vietnam vets with PTSD? They have not have not nor will they make transition.

• Whiny Vet September 28, 2019 at 8:44 pm

If it takes 50 years of time and a dam tool box to heal each and every Vietnam Veteran than the V.A. needs to buy stock options in Home Depot.
      Stop Whining Vietnam Vets.

175. Sasula September 5, 2019 at 3:08 am

The story said Purple Heart recipients are given priority, but all veterans can apply. What a terrific story!

176. Susan Austin September 5, 2019 at 2:54 am

I am a nothing veteran apparently. Told when I enlisted “early entry” at 17 I would be among “Vietnam era” service members until I tried to use my GI bill education benefits when I learned my recruiter was just making book. I have not been acceptable a vet for ANY benefit I’ve applied for. I live on SS disability (not service related) but somehow don’t qualify for VA health help. No Purple Heart…. FRAUD alert.
    I can’t afford tools and my house is circa 1765, need a tool to open a window!

177. Mark Decaro September 5, 2019 at 2:33 am

However, important to know that there a lot of combat vets out there who should have been entitled to a Purple Heart(s) and other awards but their commands never wrote them up nor recognized them, especially those in the early stages of the wars from 2001 to 2005 and then you have after that services awarding people Bronze Stars for admin work and passing out PH for nothing, and brass writing themselves up. I think this should be based more on verification of where you were and what you did, a lot of vets that went to war were shafted back then.

178. Carol L Stricklin September 5, 2019 at 2:10 am

I am a female Post Vietnam Veteran 7.5 yrs active duty Arny and 15yrs AK ARNG now a disabled. I have stage 3 COPD on oxygen therapy. Before I request a toolbox can you tell what are these tools. I do not want to request something that I have no use for when a deserving veteran can use it. Thank you and reply requested

• John Hinkley September 5, 2019 at 9:19 am

I mean Ms female lady person, what does sex have to do with this program? Anyway, if you did a bit of research you’d see a picture(s!) of what is included.

Don’t waste people’s time if you already think you don’t need it. Ms female ma’am, yes ma’am

reainc.org/about

• Brittany September 5, 2019 at 12:32 pm

John Hinkley your rudeness is uncalled for. Maybe use that energy for something more proactive instead of talking down to others????

179. Mark McWilliams September 5, 2019 at 1:55 am

Thank Guys, Those are Awesome!!
    How would one get a tool box or take some to vets in VA Conroe, TX

Mark

180. Daniel Nauenburg September 5, 2019 at 1:55 am

GREAT JOB, what else can I say. I am a retired Vet and I am happy to see this kind of love for one another.

181. Danny Wayne Heath September 5, 2019 at 1:24 am

I am a Vietnam Marine Vietnam Era with a Purple Heart and COC with 2 stars.
    Is it possible for me to receive this tool box which I know would get me out of this chair more often.

182. Clifford Miller September 5, 2019 at 1:19 am

*excellent* You definitely have been blessed by the man above. I’m a Vietnam Veteran, Desert Storm and Gulf war Vet. Also. I did 12.5 yrs. In the Army and 15.5 yrs. In the Navy. I’m 100% disabled with colon cancer for the past 4 yrs. But still young at heart ! I’m a night of the Knights of Columbus here in Columbus, Ohio. I’m the chairman of an event I’ve started called “Coats for VETERANS” of which we are giving new coats, hats, scarfs and gloves. We have alot of VA organizations participateding also on the November 16 event. Were expecting around 2500 veterans to attend. We’ll have tv and radio coverage. Wish i could get your tool box for the event and my rehab work i do. Thank you ! Cliff Miller

183. Gary September 5, 2019 at 1:12 am

If they can help only one Vet either is was ww2 through today it’s a awesome thing!! I am thankful that someone is here today to help when a brother or sister comes home when there was not that support before.

184. ronald pulley September 5, 2019 at 1:04 am

My dad was a p.o.w. in WWII.His was a B-24. He made it back. I followed him joining the AIR Force in 1969 retired in 2003. Your program sounds awesome. I thank you for your dedication.

185. Kathy Patton September 5, 2019 at 1:02 am

This is fantastic. Thank you for doing this. Sir, Thank you for your Service to Our Amazing Country.

186. Jeff Lydon September 5, 2019 at 1:01 am

second half:

Same goes for educational bennies, like GI Bill, all veterans should be able to buy in to the current Bill, whatever it is, this idea that we have generations that are locked out of improved benefits is just asinine. Yes, the average Nam vet isn’t going to return to college or a trade school, but i do not want ot omit them the opportunity they so dearly deserve. It would cost us very little to leave all benefits open to all generations, and whatever it cost us, would repay it’s self in many ways with improved veteran mental health, and more productive veterans in our society.

187. Daniel C Rojas September 5, 2019 at 12:52 am

Thank you Mr.. Shepherd, for once again reminding me, a disabled, decorated, Vietnam Veteran, recipient of the Purple Heart, that I don’t need apply for one of your toolboxes. Although, Mr. Shepherd, I fought and bled for this country, I served in a war that was LOST. A war that sent patriotic young men and women to there death. A fabricated war that was not meant to be won. A war that was fought PRE-9/11. A war that my country wants to forget. A war that changed the course of America.
    Oh! You wouldn’t know what it feel to have your country ignore you. Hoping that we would all just go away or disappear. Well Mr. Shepherd, you can keep your fricking TOOLBOX!!! I don’t want one. One Hundred Thousand (100,000) of my Vietnam Brothers have already chosen to not to receive your fricking TOOLBOX by taking their own lives! So Mr. Shepherd, you keep your priorities straight and go ahead and hand out your TOOLBOXES to the Post-9/11 Purple Heart Veterans. It is well documented that the Vietnam Veterans have never a PRIORITY for America.
    Daniel C Rojas
    A Troop 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry
    Republic of Vietnam
    1969 – 1970

• Uncle Sam September 28, 2019 at 8:41 pm

You served a total of what 9 months in actual Combat country..?
      The war in Iraq was no walk in the park bud. Lot of troops served 5 or 6 actual deployments in the Desert. Stop whining you Nancy.

• Whiny Vet September 28, 2019 at 8:48 pm

You should literally be embarrassed of your comments. U.S. Soldiers do not cry about not getting a toolbox. Tighten your boot straps and drink some water troop.. You were taught better than this crap.

188. Diane M McGowan September 5, 2019 at 12:52 am

I am a female vet who got out in 2002. I was injured in a training related accident and basically forced to retire after a medical board decision. Since it was not combat related I did not receive a purple heart. I have struggled with mental illness for many years now and still see my dr weekly. Thank God for other vets particularly female vets who understand some of the issues that I face. Thank you for your gift to the vets. It’s a great idea.

189. William Gallant September 4, 2019 at 11:46 pm

I believe this is a very good idea and wish I could receive a tool box. I am not a purple heart awardee. I never flew in a B-17. My father received several purple hearts from Vietnam, having served in the U.S. Air Force for 28 years. His older brother was a B-17 tail gunner with the 8th in Northern Africa and on the first day with 35 to 45 knot crosswinds they attempted to takeoff and the aircraft flipped on edge and skidded into a fuel depot caught fire then the bombs exploded. Posthumously awarded Distinguished Flying Cross. I served 9yrs U.S.Navy.

190. Steven Wilson September 4, 2019 at 11:46 pm

Vietnam veterans get very little and did not get the offer of a toolbox. We had to purchase our own if we wanted one. Once we were dismissed, it was “adios” forever. I used to go to the Pensacola VA and they missed that I was diabetic. I kept telling the doctor that my feet hurt terribly. Had an Xray with no broken bones. So, went to a private doctor and he did the labs and it was determined that I am type 2 diabetic. Anything from the VA. Seriously???? I would love one of those tool boxes. So thankful that those with purple heart awards get this beautiful toolbox.

191. Jhan T Allen September 4, 2019 at 11:45 pm

The VA has a lot of good programs but we need to help the homeless vets with education to all of these programs the VA has to offer when I see homeless vets I point them in the Direction of the VA so that they can get help

192. Kenneth Nelson September 4, 2019 at 11:42 pm

I have no say but VN vets could help this cause also. We were ignored or vilified long enough, get on the band wagon and help these kids out…a very special group I might add.

193. Jeffery Dobson September 4, 2019 at 11:42 pm

I am a small business owner/veteran and I think this is a wonderful program! Although I have completed college degrees, I find myself using the basic knowledge gained from my military training more in my business than any other training. I hope as we grow to provide employment for veterans and frankly, a tool box full of tolls is EXACTLY what they will need to get started!