VA recently initiated a pilot program to improve services for Veterans who have experienced or are experiencing intimate partner violence or sexual assault.
The two-year initiative focuses on strengthening community partnerships, training for VA staff and community partners, identifying effective clinical interventions and providing outreach to underserved populations.
“Approximately one in three women and one in four men in the general population report experiencing intimate partner violence,” said VA Management and Social Work Executive Director Jill Debord. “Research by VA’s National Center for post-traumatic stress disorder shows Veterans may be disproportionally impacted by IPV.”
The pilot program stems from the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020, Title 5 of the Deborah Sampson Act. This initiative allows opportunity to better understand and address intimate partner violence and sexual assault among the Veteran population.
Link to IPV assistance coordinators
Veterans who have experienced or are experiencing IPV are encouraged to contact an Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program Coordinator at the nearest VA medical center or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-7233 or 800-787-3224 (TTY).
The following VAMCs are participating:
- VA Finger Lakes Healthcare System in Bath and Canandaigua, N.Y.
- North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System in Gainesville and Lake City, Fla.
- Tennessee Valley Healthcare System in Nashville and Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Jesse Brown VA Medical Center in Chicago, Ill.
- Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System in Little Rock, Ark.
- VA Salt Lake City Health Care System in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Cheyenne VA Medical Center in Cheyenne, Wyo.
- Jonathan M. Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center in Walla Walla, Wash.
- VA Pacific Islands Health Care System in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Southern Arizona VA Health Care System in Tucson, Ariz.
For more information about available supportive services, visit VA’s Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program or VA’s Military Sexual Trauma Program.