The VA Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses will hold a committee meeting Sept. 7-8, as well as a Veteran Engagement Session (VES) Sept. 7 for 1990-91 Gulf War Veterans (GWV).

These events will be both virtual and in person at the Sonny Montgomery Room (room 230) at VA, 810 Vermont Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 20420. A current photo I.D. is required to enter the building. These meetings are free and open to the public.

Veteran Engagement Session (VES)

The VES will occur on Sept. 7 from 4 to 7 p.m. ET and is open to 1990-91 Gulf War Veterans, their family members, caregivers and any others interested in research related to the health of 1990-91 Gulf War Veterans.

The focus of the VES is to listen to Gulf War Veterans share their experience with Gulf War Illness (GWI) and to ask them for their input on related questions, such as:

  • What health problems concern you most about the 1990-91 Gulf War?
  • What treatments have helped you manage your Gulf War health problems?
  • What aspect of your GWI most affects your quality of life?
  • What helps you most to manage these interferences?
  • If you could tell the VA Secretary one thing about being a Gulf War Veteran with GWI, what would it be?

Please join us to share your story.

Committee meeting

The full committee meeting will cover two days, Sept. 7 and 8. The times each day are 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. ET. The meeting will focus on available capabilities and resources in exposure assessment and technology, subject matter experts on health consequences of military exposures of 1990-91 Gulf War Veterans and discussion of future committee recommendations.

At the end of day two, there will be 30 minutes reserved for public comments.

Join us to learn about GWI research.

How to join online

Join the Committee Meeting Online Sept. 7:
9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. ET
Meeting password: RACGWVI_Day1
Join by phone (Toll-free): 1-833-558-0712
Meeting number (access code): 2762 359 0372

Join the VES Online Sept. 7:
4 to 7 p.m. ET
Meeting password: RACGWVI_#1
Join by phone (toll-free): 1-833-558-0712
Meeting number (access code): 2762 256 8644

Join the Committee Meeting Online Sept. 8:
9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. ET
Meeting password: RACGWVI_Day2
Join by phone (toll-free): 1-833-558-0712
Meeting number (access code): 2764 342 8041

Here is more information about these meetings and other GWV-related items. The Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses is a congressionally mandated committee under the VA Federal Advisory Committee Act. It meets several times each year to provide advice and make recommendations to the VA Secretary on proposed research studies, plans and strategies related to understanding and treating the health consequences of military service in the Southwest Asia theater of operations during the 1990-91 Gulf War.

Topics in this story

Leave a comment

The comments section is for opinions and feedback on this particular article; this is not a customer support channel. If you are looking for assistance, please visit Ask VA or call 1-800-698-2411. Please, never put personally identifiable information (SSAN, address, phone number, etc.) or protected health information into the form — it will be deleted for your protection.

23 Comments

  1. Kirt Love October 3, 2023 at 12:02

    Well, its quite obvious after the last week the RAC plans to only occupy
    itself with its internal members. Just means nothing will come from them
    the next 6 months much like the last 6 months.

    Bunch of snobs. Oh yeah, day one of a meeting they perk up. Day 2 they
    shut back down. Week after the meeting, silence. This is no doubt the
    instructions of the Secretary of VA to help keep our issue silent.

    All the while, Fox News finally prints a story where VA is turning away
    PACT act cancer claims. How incredibly vile. A year ago I said the PACT act
    had huge loop holes in it. Gulf War 1990 vets have very little to gain by it.
    Now Im seeing VA plans to reject even the terminal cases. 1 in 3 get a
    zero rating. GWI vets like me get a big fat zero. Its all conditional.

    But, what concern is this to the RAC members? Comfortable job, dont have
    to produce results or publish, just what the Sec of VA Denis McDonough
    could ask for. Looks like Deputy Sec Guy Kiyokawa too.

    Deception here. Less than empty promises. Why should I be polite about
    that? 26 years of these people keeping me at bay that CANT do a better
    job. Other than stall, and pretend folks dont write them. Snobs, Hypocrites.

    I want results, and Im not interested in hearing how people think they are
    doing such a great job. Really? What is your basis for comparison? The
    week before. Try 2003 – compared to that year these people really suck.

    Till your next federal register notice, press release, and weak agenda that
    VA can live with. No urgency. Ignore emails. VA is thrilled with you.

    All the while, clock ticks away. Pure contempt and outright deception by
    VA with Gulf War vets. Hurry up and die. This committee should be so
    embarrassed and its not. Humbled, and its not. Completely ignored all
    of my suggestions because that would mean progress. Cant have that.

    House and Senate subcommittees – you should be fired. No soup for you!!!
    Your pathetic compared to 2003. Not even asking. Sit on your big fat
    ______ and say “let them eat cake”. Cowards. Yes, you Bernie Sanders.
    Thanks for forgetting your past promises.

    Im making enemies? You mean Im speaking up to those that spit on me.

    You think I was asking for absurd things- like VA walk-in visits. What was I
    thinking? How could VA benefit from that? What you should ask is how would
    the veterans benefit from that. Then not pay for our ER visits. Been there
    already with Tricare.

    I know you folks sleep just fine at night. Because, there is nothing there.
    Empty black holes devoid of ideas. People with imagination dream, and
    they cringe when things go wrong. They feel, reason, and ponder mortality.

    Public comments are almost over. Then they can just pretend problem
    solved. No more comments? Real problem solvers here.

  2. Kirt Love September 26, 2023 at 07:52

    Unraveling The Gut’s Role In Gulf War Illness

    A Texas A&M grad student researches symptoms suffered by soldiers deployed to the Gulf War over two decades ago, including her own mother
    .
    By Bailey Noah, Texas A&M University Engineering
    SEPTEMBER 25, 2023

    Growing up, Texas A&M University biomedical engineering doctoral student Claudia Collier understood that a family outing could abruptly end at any moment. The possibility that her mother might suffer from a flare-up loomed, regardless of the event or plan. A flare-up not rooted in a genetic disorder, disease or virus, but rather something that followed her from the time she spent serving her country — Gulf War illness (GWI).

    GWI is a chronic, multi-symptomatic disorder that affects over one-third of Gulf War veterans. Those with GWI experience symptoms differently, but common ailments include fatigue, gastrointestinal disorders, joint pain, headaches and memory lapses.

    Now, more than two decades after her mother’s deployment, Collier dedicates her research to identifying the origin of GWI symptoms. The underlying cause of this condition is unknown but has been linked to various chemical exposures soldiers experienced while deployed during the Gulf War. However, Collier believes Pyridostigmine Bromide (PB), a pretreatment to protect against nerve gas, might be the chemical to blame.

    “PB exposure at these high levels causes the colon to move abnormally, and when the colon moves abnormally, it usually causes chronic diarrhea or constipation,” Collier said. “We’ve also seen high levels of neuroinflammation, which stem from an inflammatory response that is not only happening at the time of exposure but is prolonging and sustaining itself, attributing to how we’re still seeing symptoms 20 to 30 years later.”

    The RAC needs to follow Claudia and her work. This is
    a inspirational story.

    • Kirt Love September 26, 2023 at 10:00

      Kirt,

      Thanks for forwarding this. Very interesting and promising young investigator. I’ll reach out to them.

      Best,

      Karen