VA regulations to establish presumptions for the service connection of eight diseases associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune, N.C. are effective as of today.

“Establishing these presumptions is a demonstration of our commitment to care for those who have served our Nation and have been exposed to harm as a result of that service,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. David J. Shulkin. “The Camp Lejeune presumptions will make it easier for those Veterans to receive the care and benefits they earned.”

The presumption of service connection applies to active duty, Reserve and National Guard members who served at Camp Lejeune for a minimum of 30 days (cumulative) between Aug.1, 1953 and Dec. 31, 1987, and are diagnosed with any of the following conditions:

• adult leukemia
  • aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
  • bladder cancer
  • kidney cancer
  • liver cancer
  • multiple myeloma
  • non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Parkinson’s disease

The area included in this presumption is all of Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River, including satellite camps and housing areas.

This presumption complements the health care already provided for 15 illnesses or conditions as part of the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012. The Camp Lejeune Act requires VA to provide health care to Veterans who served at Camp Lejeune, and to reimburse family members, or pay providers, for medical expenses for those who resided there for not fewer than 30 days between Aug. 1, 1953 and Dec. 31, 1987.

Additional information added 3/23/2017:

Additional information on Camp Lejeune disability compensation information or health care reimbursement for family members can be found here.

A map of the Camp Lejeune disability coverage area.

Map of the Camp Lejeune disability coverage area.

Published on Mar. 14, 2017

1. Terry phillips April 6, 2017 at 2:53 pm

How was I suppose to know that .I guess I need to check up on every duty station see if they were trying to kill me there.The government can find you when they want. Seams to me it was trying to be kept quiet. The government lies go back to every beginning.God will sort it out.

2. Calvin Moore April 5, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I was approved for compensation (CLWC) 30% for left kidney removal 0% for colon cancer and 100% for Liver Cancer. Now I Have been Diagnose with Bone metastasis ” occurs when cancer cells from the primary tumor relocate to the bone. I am having treatment for this cancer. Now my task is to apply for compensation. They rated me 100%. Question one: For one kidney removal do I qualify for special monthly pay and with Bone metastasis if approved for compensation will they rate me higher than 100% or will I receive special monthly pay? To all my Vets that was affected from the CLWC be patient and my prayers are with you and your family. Semper Fi.

• Donna Stratford April 6, 2017 at 6:11 pm

I’m sorry about your health issues. While you have active liver cancer and are being treated, you will be rated at 100 percent. As long as there is a diagnosis connecting the bone metastasis to your service connected liver cancer that can be rated as secondary. In relation to special monthly compensation, you may qualify for special monthly compensation depending on your physical health and if you need assistance to with daily activities. I’d recommend talking with your Veterans Service Organization representative to see if they think you qualify. During the rating process, the rater will also look for indicators that SMC should be considered.

3. ORVILLE WILLIAMS April 1, 2017 at 9:10 am

ALSO I HAVE HAD A VIDEO CONFERENCE AND HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THE MULTIPLE MYELOMA BY THE JUDGE ADVOCATE AND BOARD BECAUSE THE HEMATOLOGY DOCTOR SAID I HAVE WHAT IS CALLED SMODERING MYELOMA.

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 10:11 am

Unless this develops into multiple myeloma, it is unlikely that it would be granted under the presumptive.

4. ORVILLE WILLIAMS April 1, 2017 at 9:00 am

WHAT IF YOU HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED BUT ARE ASYMTOMATIC FOR MULTIPLE MYELOMA AND NOT TAKING ACTIVE TREATMENTSARE YOU STILL ELIGIBLE FOR A RATING OTHER THAN 0

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 9:47 am

Multiple Myeloma is an automatic 100 percent rating without regard to symptoms.

5. Romert A. Stompoly March 31, 2017 at 11:36 am

My wife & I were station at CLNC from Jan. 63 to may 65 with the 2nd field Artillery Group Force Troops.. I am military Retiree & VA rated at 80% disabled.. I came down with bladder cancer in 2009. Have since been cured & am cancer free. would do any good to file a claim now? My wife has no problems yet.

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 10:04 am

You would be rated on the residuals. If you have no lasting effects from the cancer, and are not taking medications, there would be nothing to rate. If you have loss of sensation, or some other remaining side effects from either the cancer or treatment, it would be worthwhile to file a claim.

6. Jerry L Sergeant March 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm

I was stationed at MCAS New River in 1968-69, I filled a VA claim for bladder cancer in 2014. That was denied and I appealed. I have two doctor statements submitted and I am currently waiting for an “in person” Travel Board of Veterans for my review of my appeal. I’m told this could take 2-3 years.
    The VA has sent me two letters offering alternatives for my claim. One is to switch to a video conference hearing, second is BVA in Washington DC and the last option is to withdraw by hearing request.
    Being a Marine I really don’t withdraw from something that I truly believe has been wrong and someones else’s fault. This is the first time that I have seen the MCAS New River mentioned in the Camp Lejeune reports. I worked on a flight line along the river and in the shadow of a water tower and pumping station. That’s why I filed my claim.
    What should I do? Did I mention that I am also being checked annually for spikes in my blood connected with multiple myeloma. Thanks

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 9:05 am

Jerry, don’t withdraw. Claims in appeals that are associated with Camp Lejeune have been flagged for review. My concern is that I’m not sure if they also flagged those that said New River. I will contact the person working this and make sure they look for New River also. Don’t do anything to close out the appeal, because there is a possibility you could get the earlier effective date. In regard to the hearings, either the video conference hearing or the BVA in DC are good alternatives to have your case heard faster. In your case, the appeal should be reviewed before a hearing would be scheduled to see if it matches the presumption. You should hear from us soon.

7. Thomas A. Utech March 30, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Ms. Stafford,
    Having served in ‘Nam from 08/01/68 to 08/22/69, I was a Field Radio Operator (2531) with M/3/10 @ Lejeune from 10/01/69 to 01/23/70.
    I’m having difficulty locating where M/3/10 was situated on Lejeune in 1969, to determine if the I had ingested contaminated water.
    Could you please provide me w/that information?

Thank you so much.

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 8:39 am

I don’t know where your unit was located, but the wells affected by contaminants were up in the north eastern portion of the base around Tarawa Terrace, Holcomb Blvd, and Paradise Point. Regardless, if you have one of the conditions on the list and were stationed within the boundaries of Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River, your presumptive condition is covered.

8. john telford reid March 29, 2017 at 9:34 pm

DONNA, THANK YOU for answering all the questions posed to you, some helpful some confusing,here’s my question.Serverd at CAMP LEJUEN for 19 months from 69-71. Nov 2010 was diagnosed with 2nd stage bladder cancer, had an organ transplant , my bladder was removed and I was givin a Neo Bladder that was built from my colon and small intestines, also removed were my prostrate and lymp nodes due to the fact that they are cancer bearing organs to make sure that i would be cancer free.The Neo bladder must be checked twice a year. by the VA.The side effects of this procedure is in order to urinate i must catherize myself, and this happens multiple times both day and night,I have an urge to unirate at all times.I have had both kidney and bladder infections due to mucas in my bladder due to this surgery if I dont expell it all i get these infections. I have my claim in since 2011 and have been denied I have appealed all deniels, and am now waiting for their response.While there’s no dispute that I got bladder cancer from the water at Camp Lejeun, altho i have been treated for it and am cancer free, for which I’m grateful, going thru this has altered my life in a negiatve way,my wife and i can’t enjoy the intimacy we used to enjoy,always afraid of being to far from a bathroom and many other psychological issues. So my question to the VA is how can they deny compensation to me or the thousands of veterns who have endured pain and suffering for which they caused

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 12:57 pm

John, I’m sorry for what you have gone through. All I can say is that now that bladder cancer is a presumptive, that constitutes new evidence. Without the presumptive, there was nothing to connect the bladder cancer to your military service. They are reviewing all appeals related to Camp Lejeune and you should hear something soon. Do you remember if you claimed Camp Lejeune water as the cause of your cancer. You want to make sure it is picked up in the flagged appeals. The other conditions could be rated as secondary if they are a result of the bladder cancer and treatment.

9. jtreid March 29, 2017 at 12:22 am

Thank you Donna for answering all the questions posed to you,got another question for you.Served at Camp Lejuene for 19 months 69-71,was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2010,had my bladder removed and was replaced with a neo bladder Dec 2010.I am at 70%disability due to PDST,hearing loss,knee injury all service connected. I have a claim in for bladder cancer since 2011, have been denied, I have appealed all denials, now just waiting for their response. Now my question to you is, am I entitled to any compensation since i no longer have cancer. I do have side effects because of the neo bladder, i must catheterize myself each time I urinate, urinary tract infections, and my bladder must be checked every 6 months. Reading all of the posts my heart goes out to all of you.Keep fighting for all that you are entitled to, don”t give up.Thank you for serving our great nation, this great nation owes you. Donna Thank you for keeping us informed,you have a huge task. Thank you for all you do for veterns

10. ORVILLE MACK WILLIAMS March 27, 2017 at 5:42 pm

ARE ALL PERSONS GETTING A FLAT PAYMENT FOR THIS OR DOES IT DEPEND HOW SICK YOU ARE,YOUR AGE OR WHAT SINCE THERE IS NO RETROACTIVE PAY DO THEY JUST CUT A CHECK AFTER VERIFICATION (JUST WONDERING) ?????

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Disability ratings are given based on the diagnosis and current condition of the Veteran. For example, someone in current treatment for an active cancer may be rated at 100 percent, and someone who has cancer, but is in remission and has no side effects from that cancer may be rated at 0. Each service connected condition is rated separately. Disability payments are based on your total rating percentage.

11. ORVILLE MACK WILLIAMS March 27, 2017 at 5:35 pm

DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE SAME HOOPS FOR THIS AS WE DID FOR THE AGENT ORANGE SITUATION OR DO WE JUST HAVE TO PROVE WE WERE AT ON BASE FOR 30 DAYS OR LONGER ?

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 2:06 pm

You just have to show that you were stationed at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days during the stated timeframe, and have been diagnosed with one of the conditions on the presumptive list.

12. Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Each type of cancer is a separate issue and needs to be added to your claim. It also lets the rater know what to look for in the medical file. Your doctor should provide a statement saying that the other cancers are related to the kidney cancer (VA calls this secondary). They are currently reviewing appeals and claims related to Camp Lejeune and you should receive an update soon.

13. Calvin Moore March 24, 2017 at 8:36 am

I was diagnose with kidney cancer in 2012 and my left kidney was removed in 2012. When the operated on me they found that I also have colon cancer so the removed part of my right colon. Cancer return in 2016 which affect my liver I was diagnose with liver cancer and also cancer in my pelvis area ( bony metastasis). I am being treated now for liver and bony metastasis. My doctor told me that these cancer that I have now related to my kidney cancer. I have a claim in now which is pending on my kidney cancer which is being appeal. I put in a claim on my liver cancer which they close because they said that I already have liver condition pending. I am kid of confuse because I did put a claim in concerning hep c which I know will be denied. I went through Hep c treatment and now is hep c free. My question is will they review my medical records at the VA and see that I have these other cancers that pertain to CLWC or do I have to put in another claim For liver cancer and cancer in my pelvis ( bony metastasis).

• Robert Johnson March 25, 2017 at 7:46 am

Contact your local VFW they have people trained to help with these claims and will even file the claims for you .

14. Brian Johnston March 23, 2017 at 9:00 am

Published by “National Institute Of Health, U.S. National Library Of Medicine, The National Center for Biotechnology Information”

From “Review of VA Clinical Guidance for the Health Conditions Identified by the Camp Lejeune Legislation.”

“OTHER HEALTH OUTCOMES”
    “Cancer and Neoplastic Diagnoses”
    “The guidance and algorithm do not address whether precancerous lesions of the eight cancers and myelodysplastic syndromes (such as … monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance) are also covered. VA has indicated that it plans to cover precancerous lesions, and the committee finds this approach to be reasonable.”
    “The committee recommends that VA clearly address precancerous lesions in the clinical guidance and in the core algorithm.”

What has or will the VA do to address my diagnosed MGUS?

• Donna Stratford April 3, 2017 at 3:46 pm

While MGUS could be an indicator for multiple myeloma in the future, it may not develop. Until you have a diagnosis of multiple myeloma, your condition does meet the presumption.

15. Robi Akerley-McKee March 22, 2017 at 4:52 pm

OK Agent Orange is presumetive, Camp Lejeune water is presumetive. I workd on an indoor firing range. ALL my problems are usually attribited to Lead Exposure (VA Happy Words for Lead Poisoning). I have been on REMAND for over 8 1/2 years. This is NOT right! I screwed up and didn’t file for tiniutis earlier, becuase I ‘heard’ the VA was being very stingy with ratings… for crying out loud! 7 years and the firing range training M-60, M2HB, 81mm mortar, M-870 shotgun, and M16 using 5.56 nato and .22lr adapters (more 5.56 full bore). How do I NOT have tiniutis? As instructors we had to open out mouths to talk… no hearing protection in the mouth. You ever hear of escucheon tubes? Straight through hole from you mouth to the INNER ear, bypassing eardrum and ear bones. Straight shock to the Cochelear membranes. Yes my spelling is awful. I have documents kidney damage going back 20 years, it took I don’t know how many trips to get GOUT diagnosed, it took a doctor that lived in england to reconize it. So anxiety, kidney damage, gout, GERD, hypertension — ALL CLASSIC lead poisoning symptoms. So how the heck have I been in remand for over 8 years? This is TWO trips to BVA so far. Air Force Red Hat 83-90

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 2:46 pm

If the Board remands your appeal, the judge will lay out clear steps which the regional office must complete before issuing another decision on your appeal. After completing the required steps, the regional office will make a new decision that either continues the prior decision or grants your appeal. I can’t imagine why it would take this long to get the information unless they are waiting for test results or historical records. If you haven’t filed for tinnitus yet, file a new claim. With your job in service, it should be fairly automatic.

16. Devona W. Cherry March 22, 2017 at 1:12 pm

My husband passed away on May 11, 2003 from Parkinson’s Disease. No family history of the disease. He was a Montford Point Marine and was at Camp Lejeune on more than one occasion during his 20 year military career. I was not married to him during that time but he and I were together the last 17 years of his life. I have a copy of his death certificate that states the cause of death as Parkinson’s Disease. Can I file a claim on his behalf?

• Robert Johnson March 22, 2017 at 4:51 pm

You can file on his behalf if i’m understanding it right, check with your local VFW they have trained people who will help you with what you need and help you file it.

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 2:35 pm

I am sorry for your loss. The Dependency and Indemnity Compensation program provides benefits to survivors of a military member who died on active duty, or passed from a service related injury or disease. More information on this program is at the following link. http://www.veteransaidbenefit.org/va_help_surviving_spouse.htm

17. Robert Johnson March 22, 2017 at 8:47 am

Donna Stratford I have all ready had 2 surgeries for my kidney cancer and now it looks like another is coming . What i am most concerned with is the % of disability that the VA gives to us for this type of disability . Is there any way for me to get an idea of what to expect . I’d like to know if there was any thing to happen to me what my wife can expect . Thank You !

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Great question. Here is a link to the Code of Federal Regulations showing how kidney issues are rated. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.115b The left column shows the symptoms and the right column shows the associated rating percentage.

18. Harry Thomas March 21, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Was Camp Lejeune the ONLY CONUS base that had these chemicals in the drinking water? Seems odd that only ONE (local area satellites) military base is affected?? Thanks

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 4:03 pm

No. There were many installations with contaminants in the water. Camp Lejeune is the only installation with a presumption associated with that exposure.

19. HENDERSON CUMMINS March 21, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Where do we go from here

20. SAMUEL J. MARTIN March 21, 2017 at 11:55 am

How do I get the test for Parkinsons Disease. Presently I am not qualified for VA since I make more than $33,000/yr, I can’t write checks due to the shaking. I was at LeJeune 1956(Dec) till around March of 1957. Please advise.

Samuel J. Martin

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 3:59 pm

If you have a service connected condition, you can get care for that condition at VA medical centers and clinics regardless of your income. To register for VA healthcare call 1-877-222-VETS (8387), Mon-Fri between 8 am and 8 pm, EST. or click here to complete the healthcare application online. Be sure to tell them you were at Camp Lejeune during the presumptive window and that you want to be evaluated for Parkinson’s. They will probably ask you some questions about your current symptoms.

21. Willard W. Hunter March 21, 2017 at 11:41 am

If anemia is on this list why isn’t it for those of us that drank the water in Vietnam that was laced with agent orange ?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Agent Orange had different chemical components than the contaminants in the water at Camp Lejeune. The presumptions are based on what chemicals people were exposed to.

22. Ronald Seale March 20, 2017 at 10:23 pm

I was att Lejeune 1966to1968 for 140 days while
    In the reservres for 4 years I reenlisted in the
    11th Special Forces for 3 3 years active duty
    serving in 2 war zones I am rated 90% for
    hearing and have been diagnosed with parkinson s
    Mull level degenerative disease stroke and many
    other Lejeune issues Today I. received 2 denials
    from a dro in ro 327. stating I was not eligble for
    Lejeune comp though my Parkinsons is. presumptive because when. I was Lejeune I
    was a reservist This denial was dtd 2 days after
    the new took effect I dont know what to say
    anymore

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Review the letter you received for an explanation of the denial. It could have been as simple as they couldn’t confirm from military records that you were at Camp Lejeune at that time, or you didn’t submit medical records showing your current diagnosis. Whatever they are looking for, provide it within 60 days. There should be instructions with your letter. If it stated that you didn’t receive it because you were a reservist, then reference the rule. It is unusual to give Veteran status to reservists, and the person that rated your claim may not have been aware that Guard and reservist members were included. I hope this helps. http://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/13/2017-00499/diseases-associated-with-exposure-to-contaminants-in-the-water-supply-at-camp-Lejeune

23. Marc Levesque March 20, 2017 at 5:52 pm

I respect the VA for considerations involving active Marines at the locations and admitting responsibility for SOME of the illnesses associated; but what about the FAMILIES of the Marines who HAD to be there and who grew up and went to school on those bases in the 50s/60s? We really served also. What about the DDT fogs that we lived in during every night of the summer? Kids would follow the fog trucks at night because of the sweet smell. Responsibility?

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 2:20 pm

24. john kearney March 20, 2017 at 3:43 pm

what about air force veterans who were stationerd at bases that the water was contaminated,norton afb is on the super fund clean up list so are a lof or other bases

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 3:50 pm

John, I was also stationed at Norton. Go Air Force! At the present time, the only installation with presumptives is Camp Lejeune.

25. Siddiqah Henighan March 20, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I am looking forward to see Fort McClean Alabama, on the water contamination service connection services. The base was the first WAC, CHEMICAL Training School, and mine Basic Training home of MP and Infantry.

26. David S. Althaus March 20, 2017 at 12:58 pm

My wife was a Navy Nurse stationed at Lejeune from August, 1973 through December, 1974. She had Esophageal Cancer at age 40, with no known other risk factors (No drinking, smoking, HPV, etc). The cancer was cured, but the residual damage from the radiation to her head and neck is severe. She has no saliva. She cannot taste. She has difficulty swallowing. Her teeth are heavily damaged.

Esophageal Cancer was initially included in the list of covered diseases, but the revised list excluded it. Does this new exclusion mean that she cannot go forward with her claim for disability compensation and medical/dental treatment?

Thank you.
    Semper Fi.

Dave Althaus

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 3:27 pm

The 2012 list compiled by Congress was not based on scientific studies showing a connection between contaminants in the water at Camp Lejeune and a medical diagnosis. The law itself states that. For disability compensation, VA has to show a connection between the exposure during military service and the illness. That is why there are only eight illnesses on the presumptive disability compensation list. Since it is on the 2012 list, she is eligible for VA healthcare related to esophageal cancer. The link below the blog provides information on the application process for VA healthcare. She can still file a claim for disability on a direct basis, but would have to provide medical or scientific evidence of how it her cancer was connected to military service.

27. c9HF March 20, 2017 at 11:58 am

Keep fighting guys and girls or have someone do it for you! You deserve to be compensated! Simper Fi!

28. Debra Stetson March 20, 2017 at 11:35 am

My husband was diagnosed with liver disease as well as a blood disorder and received an urgent Liver Transplant almost 7 years ago. He was lucky to survive. Having no family history if either, there has always been question as to the cause of his illness. Lloyd was stationed at Camp Lajeune for about Six weeks during 1964 and subsequently served two tours in Vietnam Nam. He was honorably discharged in 1968. I am wondering about your thoughts on how the water at Camp Lajeune and subsequent exposures in Vietnam Nam may have been a factor in his current illness.

29. Andy L. Sherrer March 20, 2017 at 11:06 am

What does 100% disability mean in terms of $$$$?

30. BABAUTA, BACH TUYET & JESUS S. March 20, 2017 at 10:43 am

My husband have served for more than 20 years in the military,1953 -1955 in the Army and 1955-1973 in the Air Force . I don’t know where or which Base he’s station at that time.. I only know when he station in Viet Nam on Sept 1966- May 1970 and June 1-1971- Jan 8,1973.. Had Heart attack in 1991, medevac from Guam Naval Hospital to Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC) Honolulu HI. Cardiology Doctor said that the wall of his heart is 100% clots and they can’t do the surgery.. and had 1st Heart Stent 1993, in Jun 2010 Catherization and had 2nd Heart Stent in Aug 10, 2010 & Dec 2010 after Christmas , ER for Urinate Blood.. Urology Doctor did biopsy and said my husband had Bladder Cancer.. Hospitalize on Jan 2011 couple weeks, more than 7 pints of Blood transfusion.. Feb 14, 2011 on Valentine’ Day the Doctor called, need to come in for UTI treatment before the Surgery on Feb 16,2011 and that’s the day the surgeon remove my husband’ Bladder.. and now I saw in the US Department V A. VA’s rule establishes a presumption of service connection for diseases associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune.. ( establish presumptions for the service connection of eight diseases associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune, N.C. are effective as of today.) and now I Just Wonder for all those years in the Service How did my Husband got Bladder Cancer?? and the VA just rule out the news for ( to reimburse family members, or pay providers, for medical expenses for those who resided there for not fewer than 30 days between Aug. 1, 1953 and Dec. 31, 1987 ) and to continue about The Heart Problem on Sept 14, 2015 at ER for Chest Pain and several days later Cardiology Doctor decided Cadiac Cath in lieu of Open Heart Surgery.. the Doctor said can’t have anymore Heart Stent.. Can’t Open Heart Surgery either .. cause it’ll be Risk…The Agent Orange cause Heart Disease.. Had Heart Disease from 1991-2010 for 19 years and until end of Oct 2010 the VA started the Compensate to the Veteran that have Heart Disease..( and my 100% Disability Veteran got Compensate only from Aug 2010- Sept 24,2016 ) and now my Husband went home with The Lord !! Why the Department of VA took so long to Approve?? I think that’s not right for The Department of VA Treated my & all other Veteran that way cause most of The Veteran gone before even get their Compensate..

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 4:46 pm

31. Ramon Moreno March 20, 2017 at 6:08 am

I was diagonised with Multiple Myeloma in 2005 gone thru alot of rounds of chem and radiation. I have to take a CHem Pill (Revilmd) for the test of my life. I did go to VA to file a claim since I did put in 21 years in the Army and retired in October
    1998. I got my in Basic training from the Water. The VA wants me I had to prove it. I served my countrt for 21 years and that was the response I got from the civilian VA Représentons. I don’t really incertains.. I was also in during Vietnam. With them spraying Agent Orange on us and the Enemy. I have nueraphy in my Feet and hands, plus other health problems. I’d like an answer from them , why can’t I get a simple answer, is it covered by disabiliy which I know it’s covered . You say it’s covered, than why does it take a long time to get a rating. I guess I’ll be dead. Thank you very much.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 3:37 pm

If you are not already being seen by the VA, I’d recommend signing up for VA health care. They can treat you and this also creates a VA medical record showing that you have the condition. Information for filing a claim, as well as signing up for health care can be found at this link. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/index.asp
      Both multiple myeloma and peripheral neuropathy (must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of herbicide exposure) are included in the presumptives for Agent Orange. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/index.asp
      Multiple myeloma is also in the presumptives for Camp Lejeune. You can work with your local Veterans Service Organization or VA representative to help with the claim process. A VA representative can look at your claim and explain why it was denied. Since the presumptive for Camp Lejeune is new, you may have to file a new claim if your previous one was denied.

32. Sandra Scrivner March 19, 2017 at 11:33 pm

My husband was stationed at Camp Lejeune from 2-22-63 to 2-22-66. Passed away in August of 2015 from Kidney Cancer. I have been trying to get compensation from the VA for his funeral expenses and other expenses and to this date I have not had any kind of reply from anyone on my claims. What do I need to do to get this taken care of.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Mrs. Scriver, I’m sorry about your husband’s passing. I’m checking on this for you.

33. theresa wren March 19, 2017 at 11:06 pm

My dad served in the Marines and was at Camp LeJeune during this time frame. He suffered many years from Parkinson’s Disease (a dreadful disease). He just passed away from this disease on March 2, 2017. He left behind medical bills and nursing home care bills that remain unpaid. How do I claim a benefit to pay these bills?

Thank you.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Theresa, I’m so sorry to hear of your father’s passing. I’m checking on this and will get back to you with an answer.

34. Dennis Royster March 19, 2017 at 10:45 pm

This is BS it says wrong code and erases my comment

35. Brian J Mickelson March 19, 2017 at 8:52 pm

I was a corpsman with 6th Marine Reg for 2 1/2 years from 1974-1976. I got Parkinson’s, was first told not Parkinson’s but medication related. Neuro doc at va didn’t believe it so he did $$$$$$ worth of tests and sure enough I got it. Put a claim back in July of 2015. Then when I would go for an examination for this or that they would say have you been in contact with agent orange (?), no, oh ok. Wonder why they would ask? I have, lipomas all over, maybe 75 or so, (little fatty tumors), thyorid disease, asthma, Gerd, diabetes and of course head problems too). Well I am glad its getting taken care of finally and hope anybody else who is affected gets help….and those that aren’t lets pray you don’t get sick…. Doc Semper Fi

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I’m glad you are being taken care of and have filed your claim for disability related to the Parkinson’s. They are asking about Agent Orange because some of your conditions are on the presumptive list for Agent Orange. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/index.asp If you were in Vietnam, I’d urge you to review the list and file a claim for any conditions you have that are on the list.

36. Sarah J. Kamsch March 19, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Good Luck and God Bless to all who served!! Thank you for your service!!

37. Wallace graybill March 19, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Don’t get hopes up. Presumptive statutes also exist for radiation exposure. Even tho documented, no benefits given. Except for one death whose case went to the top. Badges measuring radiation were “lost”. My denials were inconsistent with statute saying my service record showed no such disease, when plainly the “presumptive ” statute says the disease “counts” only if it became active 5 years after exposure. ..
    These claims get rubber stamp denial, not investigation.

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 8:19 am

I’d recommend filing a notice of disagreement and include the statement from your letter saying that your service record showed no disease in service, and the wording of the presumptive saying the disease has to become active at least 5 years after exposure.

38. David Seekell March 19, 2017 at 5:16 pm

i have been going to the va for help since hearing about this and receiving letters in the mail from hq marine corp and dept of navy, i brought the letters with me to the va,because i am always asked why am i so sick, i am to young to have been exposed to agent orange, by he med staff at the hospital, so i show them my letters and the va employees ask me if i manufactured those letters on the computer or on the internet, we have not heard anything about the water at camp lejeune i am being treated for gal bladder issues, liver issues, spinal pain and leg pain, loose of all my teeth at 40 years old, even after regular visits for cleaning and care i have been asking for help for years and have been ignored and or accused of making exposure up

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 2:31 pm

I’m sorry you are having these medical problems. I’m also sorry that the VA medical staff was unaware of the Camp Lejeune issue. We have been doing more notifications, so hopefully they will be better informed.

39. Raymond Cummings March 19, 2017 at 3:27 pm

I was at Montfort Point during 1963 and into 1964 but have not contracted any of the noted diseases, does this mean my existing VA coverage no longer exists???
    Ray Cummings

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 2:24 pm

You would still be able to take advantage of VA healthcare and any other benefits you are entitled to. You just can’t get VA disability compensation related to contaminants in the water at Camp Lejeune unless you have one of the eight conditions. Disability compensation related to other service connected conditions is not impacted.

40. Karl Richmond March 19, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Where can one find the data Analysis of the contamination levels during the period mentioned for compensation and after such said time frame in comparison to the normal levels of which water is intended to be considered non-contaminated? If the evidence is out there do we not have the right to see it?
    I myself have several of the medical conditions mentioned from the contaminated water. However, I served at Camp Lejune after the dates of which are covered to be considered eligible for benefits from contamination.
    Please advise of any such information at your earliest convenience.
    Respectfully,
    K. Richmond

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 2:18 pm

The Camp Lejeune Administrative Record provides information on the historical data as well as current water, groundwater, and soil testing. This link provides an overview with connections to the reports. http://www.lejeune.marines.mil/SDZ/Information.aspx This is very technical material, but the executive summaries are usually reader friendly and informative.

41. James Nicholas March 19, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Are civilian dependants that lived in base housing covered ?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

42. Brian O'Neil March 19, 2017 at 11:46 am

I’ve been listed for many years on the Camp Lejeune contaminated water, last year I filed a claim for many issues I believe have caused my problems. stage 4 kidney failure, Mental issues, Knee replacement, Severe sleep apnea. It be came law on 3/7/2017. I pray that all veterans have been informed

43. Charles Mingrone March 19, 2017 at 10:59 am

I was stationed at Camp Johnson for several months in 1976. In 2008 I had left kidney cancer. My intestines and bladder were also affected. The 8/12 hour operation caused my right paraspinal muscle to atrophy. This ended my career as a volunteer firefighter / EMT. I am in constant pain. What would my next step be. Thank you for your prompt reply. Semper Fi.

• MH8H March 20, 2017 at 11:53 am

My sister and I (twins) were born at Camp Lejune in 1961as also my brother in 1967. My brother died in a tragic automobile accident. We lived in Twawa Terrace both one and two for 6 years before my parents bought a house in Jacksonville. My dad was a retired Capt in the Marines, since passed of Larynx CA and my mom also a Marine stationed at Camp Lejune for 3 years. She is just in remission for esophageal CA. So as of now, my sister and I haven’t had any main issues, but if we do, you bet I am coming after the VA. I am a registered nurse of 38 years and I don’t play games. I work with another Veteran nurse who made an appointment 6 months ago due to being sick. His appointment is finally this month. This is sick, let them go where they want to and pay. The VA can’t keep up obviously. Go Trump! We also lived at Camp Pendleton, Cherry Point, and Camp Geiger.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your parent’s medical issues. In the event you or your sister have any medical issues, here is some information on the Camp Lejeune family program. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/index.asp Scroll down to get to the family information. I’m sorry your friend had to wait so long for an appointment. We have had the VA Choice Program in effect since 2014, which allows Veterans to see a local doctor if they either live too far from a VA clinic or hospital, or it will take longer than 30 days to get an appointment. Please pass this information on to your friend if he has this problem again. http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Charles, I’m sorry to hear about your medical issues. I would recommend applying for disability benefits related to the kidney cancer, as well as any current medical conditions suffered as a result of that cancer. For example, atrophy of the right paraspinal muscle would be secondary to the kidney cancer. If you have any current intestinal or bladder issues related to the kidney cancer, they would also be secondary. Make sure you have copies of all of those records including your current diagnosis to submit with your claim. A letter from your doctor connecting all of those conditions to the kidney cancer will lead to a speedier decision. Don’t make the rater figure it out on their own. You should also include your statement explaining the situation and how it impacts your current health. If you haven’t already, you can sign up for VA healthcare by calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387), Mon-Fri between 8 am and 8 pm, EST. or click here to complete the healthcare application online. You can apply for disability benefits online using eBenefits. State in block 13 of your application that you are filing for one of the presumed Camp Lejeune illnesses.
      More information on filing for disability is at this link. http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/

44. Audra March 19, 2017 at 10:56 am

No esophageal cancer on this list? Wasn’t that originally on the list of conditions originally associated with tainted water at Camp Lejeune? My dad (who passed 3 years ago in August) was exposed to the tainted water at Camp Lejeune and Agent Orange in Vietnam. Still waiting on all his appeals.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 1:28 pm

I know it’s confusing, but the 2012 list compiled by Congress was not based on scientific studies showing a connection between contaminants in the water at Camp Lejeune and a medical diagnosis. The law itself states that. For disability compensation, VA has to show a connection between the exposure during military service and the illness. That is why there are only eight illnesses on the presumptive disability compensation list. Esophageal cancer is not on the list for either the Camp Lejeune or Agent Orange presumptives. What that means is that based on scientific research, there is no association between the contaminants of concern and esophageal cancer.

45. Cody Whitaker March 19, 2017 at 10:30 am

Just be aware:
    The VA established presumption for Gulf War related illnesses in 2014, calling it Chronic Multi-symptom Illness. Meeting all of the criteria and having all of my medial history, I filed my claim immediately after hearing of the presumption. This has been going on for nearly 3 years. The VBA is yet to resolve my case, despite congressional and senatorial involvement into their needless delays.

The tactic appears to be to mis-classify your request by stating you didn’t request evaluation under the correct program. The VBA stated that I requested evaluation under “Gulf War Syndrome,” which I DID NOT. Further, instead of the VBA evaluating my claim as a “cluster of symptoms,” it is evaluating them as individual singular conditions. Which of course, distributes the various illnesses into innumerable bureaucratic offices for “evaluation.”

So, I hope the VBA doesn’t treat the Camp LeJeune illnesses in the same manner it has handled Agent Orange and Gulf War Veterans. Most of the Veterans and their immediate families might be dead or forgotten, or both if that’s the case.

Cody Whitaker
    USMC/USA Retired

46. John Johnson March 19, 2017 at 7:23 am

I was born in Camp Lejeune Hospital Aug 5 1967 and I recently had my kidney removed because of kidney cancer. Who is responsible for the families of the marines that lived on the base?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 1:00 pm

47. WILLIAM SCOTT SCHEIBLE March 19, 2017 at 4:53 am

I FILED A CLAIM 2 YEARS AGO BECAUSE I LOST A KIDNEY. I SENT WITH MY CLAIM PRROF I WAS AT LEJEUNE DURING THE SPECIF PERIOD. HOW DO I FIND OUT IF I AN ONE THEY ARE LOOKING AT FOR COMPENSATION?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 12:14 pm

It’s likely that your claim was put on hold pending the implementation of the Camp Lejeune presumption. You can check your claim status in eBenefits. Since these claims are now being processed, you should receive an update soon.

48. James H. Hieronymus March 19, 2017 at 1:22 am

I was stationed at Camp Geiger in 1965. Infantry training was 30 (30) days. Before my unit stated training, my unit was assigned mess duty for thirty (30) days. That made my stay at Camp Geiger sixty (60) days. I had Kidney Cancer in 2015. I had to have part of y left Kidney removed. I made a claim with the VA in 2016, and would like to know when I might hear from the VA on my claim, and at what rating I might get. Thanks for your help

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 12:58 pm

It’s difficult to answer this question because each case is different and decided on the evidence related to each claim. Based on the facts of your case, it is possible that you could be granted on a direct basis as early as the date the original claim was filed, or March 14, 2017, the date the presumption became effective.

49. James H. Hieronymus March 19, 2017 at 1:12 am

I was stationed at Camp Geiger in 1965 for infantry training for 30 day. Before my unit was assigned training, my unit was given mess duty for thirty (30) days. That made my stay at Camp Geiger sixty (60) days. I had Kidney cancer. I had to have part of my left kidney removed. I have made a claim with the VA in 2016. Do you have any idea when I will be contacted by the VA on my claim, and what rating I might get. I am also required to have a Cat scan each year to made sure I don”t have any more Cancer. So far I am clear. Thanks for your help.

• Donna Stratford April 3, 2017 at 3:34 pm

All of the Camp Lejeune claims were put on hold waiting for the presumptions to go into effect. The claims are being rated now and you should get an update soon. Since claims are decided based on the Veteran’s current condition, it’s difficult to say what your rating might be. This link shows the rating schedule for kidneys. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.115b

50. Jerry E March 19, 2017 at 1:09 am

I too would like to know if essential tremors is related to Parkinson.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 12:13 pm

This is a good question for your doctor. He/she can make that diagnosis.

51. Larry bruce March 19, 2017 at 1:07 am

What about ord

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 12:03 pm

If you are referring to Ord’s thyroid disease, it is not on the list of presumptive conditions related to Camp Lejeune.

52. Richard J Wong , L/CPL USMC ,ret March 18, 2017 at 10:50 pm

I lost my left kidney due to Agent Orange. I was also at Camp Lejeune/Camp Gieger for ITR and combat infantry training after graduation from Parris Island. My kidney cancer is a presumptive disease related to the water contamination issue, I am positive. I have a claim in process and have not heard. I am receiving disability from VA for Agent Orange presumptive issues. Thanks!

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 12:00 pm

53. Jerome C. Cicoli March 18, 2017 at 10:12 pm

I was stationed their from 1960-1962 before going overseas where i was treated for Gum & tooth decay. Are there any claims or comp. for dental work???

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:59 am

Sorry, there is no compensation for dental work.

54. ashley trace March 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm

I was at French Creek for about a year (81/82). Is this also part of the impacted area?

• Donna Stratford April 3, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Yes. The French Creek area is included.

55. Debbie Lincoln March 18, 2017 at 7:48 pm

If the veteran had already filed a claim for the Camp Lejuene water contamination, having suffered from one of these diseases, and documentation shows a high probability that it is related to the water and the claim had been denied and is now in appeals, what is this new finding saying? This particular claim was filed over 4 years ago. If it is now approved in the appeals process does the claim start from date of original application, or from March 14th 2017?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 1:51 pm

56. Richeson Chappelle March 18, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I just don’t get it with VA….I have problems with both my feet due to flat feet and bunions from running in combat boots but the VA will only approve (1) foot for 10% disability. WHAT ABOUT MY OTHER FOOT????????

• Donna Stratford April 3, 2017 at 3:21 pm

There should have been an explanation in your letter from the VA. If the letter doesn’t mention the other foot, file a notice of disagreement and ask if they forgot to rate the second foot.

57. Earl P Geissler March 18, 2017 at 6:40 pm

I was at Lejuene from 1963 to 1967 developed bladder cancer in 1991 and had it removed the next year.
    I filed a claim in 2014 and have been denied twice and am on my second appeal.
    Do I have to file a new claim because of the new law? Or will I be able to use the first claim?

• Donna Stratford April 3, 2017 at 3:19 pm

You shouldn’t have to file anything else. The Camp Lejeune appeals have been flagged for review and if supported by the evidence, they can decided based on the new presumptions. You should hear something soon.

58. Rene Page March 18, 2017 at 6:33 pm

ok this is great but i was stationed at Fort McClellan in 1982 from jan to june and we were exposed to several different things PCB’s Agent orange nerve gases and other things like vx but to this day the goverment still denies any of it i have been sick for quit a few years and there is many others like this and nothing is being done there has been several bills in congress since 2102 HR 2052 and others but still nothing i have contacted congress woman and senators and you know what ot even one reply so i ask why and i realy demand an answer please before i am dead of cancer

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:44 am

The VA relies on research and studies by outside organizations. Information on Ft. McClellan can be found at the following link. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/fort-mcclellan/ VA does not have any presumptive conditions related to service at Ft. McClellan.

59. JOHN WILEY WYNN March 18, 2017 at 6:22 pm

It does not work !

60. HENDERSON CUMMINS March 18, 2017 at 6:13 pm

I was station at Camp Lejeune from 1972 until 1974 had colon cancer and had part of my colon remove.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:40 am

Colon cancer is not on the list of presumptive conditions for Camp Lejeune. The scientific studies did not find a connection between the contaminants of concern at Camp Lejeune and colon cancer.

61. Edith Bowen March 18, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Has there been any desions on service connected pensions for the veterans who have suffered disease from JP4 and other fuel contaminates?

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Not at this time.

62. Edith Bowen March 18, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Has there been any service connection pensions given to those who suffered as a result of JP4 fuel.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:36 am

There is no presumption based on JP4, but if you have a medical condition that can be scientifically linked to working with the fuel, you can apply for benefits on a direct basis. Information on VA Pensions can be found here. http://benefits.va.gov/pension/vetpen.asp

63. John s Gress March 18, 2017 at 4:52 pm

What is the time line to start receiving disability payments and reimbursement for the thousands of out of pocket expenses? I was given a print out from a rep at the American Legion showing if you have one the 8 heath issues, your rating would be 100%, I know it was for leukemia and most others listed.

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Ratings are based on your current diagnosis and symptoms, so having one of the conditions does not necessarily mean you would be rated at 100 percent unless you are currently receiving cancer treatment. I would urge you to sign up for VA healthcare and apply for disability if you have one of the eight presumptive conditions.

64. John s Gress March 18, 2017 at 4:40 pm

What is the time line to start receiving disability payments and reimbursement for the thousands of out out pocket expenses.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:33 am

Veterans have been eligible for VA healthcare and family members were eligible for reimbursement of out of pocket expenses for 15 conditions since 2012 when the Camp Lejeune Act went into effect. The average time for processing VA disability claims is currently 108 days. Additional information on both of these programs can be found here. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/index.asp

65. Nolene Rodriguez March 18, 2017 at 4:08 pm

It’s Funny How You Reply To Some But Not To All.. This The Second Time I’m Trying To Get An Answer To MY PROBLEM..I Was Station In Camp Lejeune For 3 Years 1974-1977 Upon My Discharge I Was Told At The VA Hospital That I Have A Enlarge Liver And Spleen,And When I Ask If This Has Anything To Do With The Water In Camp Lejeune I Was Told To Wait Until The Final Report Comes Out,The Doctors Did Not Want To Answer This Question..I Feel That The Marine Corps Has Let Me Down And VA Is..NO DOCTOR WANT TO YES THIS HAPPEN BECAUSE OF CAMP LEJEUNE IN FEAR OF LOSING THER JOBS..

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:24 am

Sorry, I thought I answered your comment. I’m not sure any doctor could say for certain if a condition is related to your service at Camp Lejeune. An enlarged liver and spleen are not on the list of presumptive conditions for disability compensation related to Camp Lejeune. Now that the list of presumptions is in effect, a doctor may be more willing to make a judgment. If they state that it is more likely than not caused by the time you were stationed at Camp Lejeune, I would urge you to apply for disability compensation, not as part of the presumption, but on a direct basis.

66. James Phillips March 18, 2017 at 4:03 pm

My Son was stationed at Camp Lejeune from late 1987 to mid 1988. He also participated in Operation Desert Storm (first gulf war) and was stationed in Iraq and Kuwait after the cease fire.He recently had aggressive Prostate Cancer and had it removed. There is no prior Prostrate Cancer in the family. I suspect there is a connection with Camp Lejeune. Does he qualify?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:14 am

The wells with contaminants were shut down in 1985, so it is unlikely that it came from Camp Lejeune. Also, prostate cancer is not one of the diseases associated with the contaminants of concern at Camp Lejeune. I checked the Gulf War presumptive list, but prostate cancer is not listed there either. I’d suggest that your son contact a local Veterans Service Representative to review his military service and see if he had an assignment or job that could be connected to his condition. If he can find a connection, he can apply for benefits on a direct basis, providing evidence that his exposure in service could be connected to the cancer.

67. Gregory March 18, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I know this is about the Marines and the water issue at Camp Lejune, but I have a similiar situation that isn’t be taken care of. I was in the Army and stationed at Ft McClellan which has now be deemed that most contaminated area in the states. The EPA had to shut it down due to the amount of contamination at this instillation. The community was able to win a court battle and received almost $100 million in damages to to illnesses to the community. What about the soldiers who were stationed there. They states that since this was a chemical installation soldiers have been living and breathing these contaminates that is in the ground and water. Why hasn’t anything been down about it. Do a search online and read up on it. I was stationed their twice and have ended up with medical condition that were probably contributed by the contamination oat that installation .

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 4:37 pm

At the present time, Camp Lejeune is the only installation with presumptions. The VA relies on research and studies by outside organizations. Information on Ft. McClellan can be found at the following link. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/fort-mcclellan/

68. Connie Nieberger March 18, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I didn’t see a reply to the question about tremors being considered part of Parkinsons. My husband has extreme tremors. He czn no longer even write his name.

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 11:04 am

A doctor would have to diagnose if the tremors were a symptom of Parkinson’s. If he is a Veteran, I’d recommend signing up for VA healthcare and getting it checked out. Make sure he mentions that he was stationed at camp Lejeune. To apply, call 1-877-222-VETS (8387), Mon-Fri between 8 am and 8 pm, EST. or click here to complete the healthcare application online.

69. Glenn F Anderson March 18, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Hi Donna, I injured my right knee (crushed ligaments) during jungle training at Fort Sherman Panama in 1971. I was treated at the base hospital and was not able to complete the training. When I returned to Camp Lejeune I removed the cast myself and didn’t follow up for therapy. My medical records don’t show my treatment at fort Sherman and since I didn’t go to the commissary at Camp Lejeune there is no record of it there. I’m trying to make a claim but don”t have any record of proof. Is there anything you could recommend?

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 4:36 pm

This is a long shot, but see if you can find the daily reports from the time you were doing the jungle training. Your incident should have been included in either your unit’s record, or the Fort Sherman record. If your old unit still exists, they may have the historical reports. The National Archives is another place to check. You can also use circumstantial evidence – report from your current doctor saying that they see evidence of the old injury, and buddy statements from people that know of the injury.

• Donna Stratford April 4, 2017 at 8:12 am

Glenn, I had another thought. Check your personnel record and see if there is a mention of you starting the training and not completing it due to injury.

70. Roger Guffey March 18, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I was stationed there in 1973. I remember the water tasted chemically/funny. Thankfully I don’t have any of the diseases outlined as of yet.

Is there any consideration to offer a buyout to Marines that served at Camp Lejuene who might choose to absolve the VA of any healthcare responsibilities?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 10:51 am

The only benefits offered are healthcare and disability compensation benefits for the conditions listed.

71. Laura Jaworski March 18, 2017 at 12:51 pm

This would have been great for my father while he was still alive. Too bad he died from leukemia in 2008. He was stationed at Camp Lejeune off and on all through the 70’s. His diagnosis of AML was directly caused by exposure to the benzene in the water supply there.
    Leukemia takes 20-30 years to appear from this exposure. At least my father’s leukemia was highly aggressive and he did not make his 6 month prognosis. Seems to be a fine time to offer this now.

• Donna Stratford March 29, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I am sorry for your loss. Please check into the Dependency and Indemnity Compensation program to see if this may apply to your situation. The program provides benefits to survivors of a military member who died on active duty, or passed from a service related injury or disease. More information on this program is at the following link. http://www.veteransaidbenefit.org/va_help_surviving_spouse.htm

72. James E Reilly March 18, 2017 at 12:48 pm

I was in Camp Lejeune between 1966 and 1968 encompassing two tours. When I was 50, I did the normal check of my colon, and they found a numerous amount of polyps. A number of them were close to being cancerous but luckily they weren’t. I am 71 now and have to have that checked every 3 years. Also, since my thirty’s, I have developed a massive amount of wort’s all over my body. Over the years it have just gotten worse and worse. Do you think anything like this would be covered?

James E Reilly
    Cpl, USMC

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 10:48 am

Your conditions are not on the list for disability compensation, but it’s worth registering for VA healthcare and getting things checked out. They may have some treatment options. This is a benefit you have earned, so please use it. https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/

73. William Pyles March 18, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Let me say you (as did/do veterans) have a difficult job. Thank you for helping the vets!!
    Semper Fi

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 10:40 am

Thank you. Most employees at VBA, including me, are Veterans. We work hard to help our fellow Veterans.

74. John G. Mennitto March 18, 2017 at 11:39 am

In March of last year the IOM submitted to SecVA 4 additional ailments (Parkinson’s like symptoms, hypothyroidism, hypertension and bladder cancer) which showed suggested evidence linking it to the exposure to Agent Orange. This was the 10th and final review in accordance with the Agent Orange Act of 1991. It was expected that the SecVA would finalize this report in August of 2016. Unfortunately it did not happen and now we have a new SecVA. Do you know the current status?

• Donna Stratford March 27, 2017 at 10:37 am

The IOM findings are currently under review. If additional conditions are proposed for inclusion, they will be drafted into new proposed regulations.

75. Joseph Benjamin Rhodes March 18, 2017 at 9:49 am

I was stationed at Ft Bragg from 1985-1988, but our Company went to Lejeune for training on multiple occasions. I do not know if I still have (or if I ever HAD) orders taking me to Lejeune. How can I obtain proof showing my Company/Battalion participated in training exercises during that period ?

Is Fort Bragg also being considered as a possible site for the service connection of diseases associated with exposure to contaminants in the water supply ?

J.B. RHODES, MSG (Ret)

• Donna Stratford March 24, 2017 at 10:04 am

I would recommend contacting the historian at Ft. Bragg, or the unit you were assigned to. They often maintained records for historical purposes on troop movements and what training took place and where. Good luck.

76. Jose Arguelles March 18, 2017 at 9:19 am

What about lung cancer , it was one of the disease listed from the beginning and now its gone

• Donna Stratford March 24, 2017 at 10:02 am

The 2012 Camp Lejeune Act list of illnesses compiled by Congress was not based on scientific studies showing a connection between contaminants in the water at Camp Lejeune and a medical diagnosis. The law itself states that. For disability compensation, VA has to show a connection between the exposure during military service and the illness. That is why there are only eight illnesses on the presumptive disability compensation list, and 15 on the healthcare portion. If you have not already applied, I’d recommend signing up for healthcare for treatment of your thyroid cancer. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/index.asp Scroll down to the information on the Camp Lejeune Families Act. Veteran’s healthcare is included.

77. John O. Guillot March 18, 2017 at 9:03 am

I filed a claim with the VA for Agent Orange and Camp Lejeune Water I was granted disability for my heart only; I filed an
    appeal for and currently pending. With my case pending for agent orange do I have to refile my claim for Camp Lejeune
    Water.

• Donna Stratford March 24, 2017 at 9:44 am

If you filed for a current medical condition that is on the presumptive list, your appeal has been flagged and will be reviewed to determine if it can be decided. You should hear something soon.

78. Milton W Burgess March 18, 2017 at 8:58 am

I was at Camp Lejeune and at Camp Geiger. I have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. In your earlier publications, this was on the list. I filed a for benefits and it was submitted to the VA but was denied. My representative that I was working with has died and I would like to re-submit a claim through the DAV if this is still part of your investigation or not.

• Donna Stratford March 24, 2017 at 9:42 am

79. Catherine Goodsett-Wein March 18, 2017 at 8:32 am

When may disabled veterans of Camp Lejeune expect financial reparations?

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Disability claims are being processed. There are about 7,500 Camp Lejeune claims pending and we are working them.

80. Bryan J Skinner March 18, 2017 at 8:30 am

Just wanted to add there were around 200 plus of us that went to sick bay that morning down by the Amtrak area that all had the same conditions .The wells were being shut down as we were there just off to the left where we were stationed B.J.Skinner.

81. Roger Dye March 18, 2017 at 8:22 am

How can the government say that non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is covered under this act, but Hodgkin’s lymphoma is not covered? Both of them are caused by the same chemicals.

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:33 pm

82. Charles Davis March 18, 2017 at 3:56 am

I had my left kidney removed also. Got billed for my stay in the V.A. hospital. Was told I was going to be turned over to U.S. treasury for collection. Took 5 months to get someone to read my records and see Camp Lejeune was there if they would look

83. Juan Castro March 18, 2017 at 1:45 am

I was told not service connections for my colon cancer or many other medical problems. Station from 74-77 retired 95 waiting so long to be told that seem that could of been done in 6 months not years . My friend died his kids have lukimia mother in law died Kinney and colon cancer she lived with us for a year . Wife ovary tumor,oldest daughter born there numerous misscarrge. This news came to me on ebenifit on the 13 of march I just received the package today . Wish I could show you pictures as to how I get swollen ankle painful legs rash all over headaches sleep apnea to name a few . Thank you for letting me put this out here .

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:31 pm

I am sorry about all of your health issues. The Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012 provides reimbursement of health care costs related to 15 conditions for family members who lived on base for at least 30 days between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987. Information on what conditions are covered and how to apply can be found at this link. https://www.clfamilymembers.fsc.va.gov/

84. Richard cunnien March 18, 2017 at 1:16 am

I was stationed at courthouse Bay the summer of 76 I’ve had an autoimmune disease for 5 years they think it’s lupus I also have vasculitis. I have 8 siblings im the only one that’s been sick. Is it possible it came from the contamination

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:13 pm

This is a great question for your doctor. You can provide this information to your doctor and get his/her opinion.

85. Patricia Amshoff March 18, 2017 at 12:45 am

My husband and I lived on base for 1 year.I ended up with fertility problem.I got accepted into program.was just wondering about any compensation.I ended up at a the age of 24 with a hysterectomy..This went on for years.Thanks for any advise you can share.

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:12 pm

I’m sorry about what you went through. Unfortunately the VA has no legal authority to provide disability benefits to dependents. However, the Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012 provides reimbursement of health care costs related to 15 conditions for family members who lived on base for at least 30 days between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987. Information on what conditions are covered and how to apply can be found at this link. https://www.clfamilymembers.fsc.va.gov/

86. Ken (Sgt. Mac) McFalls March 18, 2017 at 12:06 am

This is great new for all of the deserving and surviving veterans. Can you tell me if anything has been accomplished towards adding bladder cancer to the presumptive list of agent orange related diseases?

• Donna Stratford March 24, 2017 at 9:32 am

VA continues to review published medical research to see if any new illnesses are identified related to Agent Orange. If new illnesses are proposed we will report on it through VAntage Point and other media outlets.

87. Ken (Sgt. Mac) McFalls March 18, 2017 at 12:01 am

This is great news for all of the deserving and surviving veterans and survivors. Can you tell me if anything has been accomplished towards adding bladder cancer to the presumptive list of agent orange related diseases?

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Additional presumptions will be added for Agent Orange based on scientific studies. We will announce any proposed additions through Vantage Point and other media outlets.

88. Dale Erwin March 17, 2017 at 11:29 pm

What if you were at Camp Lejeune from 95 to 99 and have developed early stages of Parkinson’s.

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:06 pm

The wells with contaminants in the water were closed in 1985. The timeframe you served at Camp Lejeune was not included in the presumptions.

89. Albert R Gomez March 17, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Do you know of any other bases that were affected by exposure to contaminants in the water supply? I was stationed at K-Bay in Hawaii from 1960-1962 and at Barstow 1962-1964. I have had my left kidney removed due to cancer in 2008.

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:05 pm

At the present time, Camp Lejeune is the only installation with a presumption.

90. Matt Penny March 17, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I did my ITS (Infantry Training School, 6 weeks) in 1980 at Camp Geiger and upon returning from Okinawa in November of 1981 was stationed at Camp Lejeune until my honorable discharge in July of 1983, I have tried to file a claim several times and gotten nowhere, I am now and have been receiving chemo treatments every three weeks at the Phoenix VA for stage 4 metastatic melanoma/lymphatic cancer…what are my options on continuing with filing a claim, getting information on what benefits/compensation is available (beyond my VA chemo treatment) and how to access it?

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Here is the information on Camp Lejeune with links to filing for disability benefits. Camp Geiger is included in this presumption. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/index.asp I would urge you to file for disability benefits. It’s good that your health records are already with the VA. Be sure to add which VA hospital is treating you. You can work with your local VA representative. There may be a benefits representative at the Phoenix VA, or other Veteran Service Officer. When you apply state include a letter from your doctor stating your current medical diagnosis and condition.

91. Andrew Corbin March 17, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Is Camp Gieger included?

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 1:46 pm

92. John w jamison March 17, 2017 at 10:28 pm

I was aboard Lejune 69-70 for infantry training. I now have prostate cancer and parkinsons. My claim has been in the “gathering of evidence” stage over a year now. VA has all the Drs statements, neurologists, etc, V A has acknowledged my service there, they have acknowledged my exposure to the water, yet I still wait. What else does VA need to move beyond the “gathering of evidence” stage? Parkinsons has ruined my life, why do I continue to wait?

• Donna Stratford April 3, 2017 at 3:13 pm

All of the Camp Lejeune related claims were put on hold until the presumption list was in effect. Those claims are being rated now and you should receive an update soon. Prostate cancer is not on the list of presumptions for Camp Lejeune, however it is on the list for Agent Orange. If you served in Vietnam, you should consider filing the prostate cancer under the Agent Orange presumption.

93. Carlos Leon Rivera March 17, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Thank you in advance for your guidance. I was U.S Marine Corps , Entered in January 1966 and I was sent sick on July 1967, with one retired for five years to return later, but they never called me, because I continued sick. I became the full training at Camp Geigel. I was hospitalized for more of 7 months at CAMP LEJEUNE. I get sick for 7-9 months at Camp Lejeune. I get sick from the liver .With nausea, exhaustion and loss of fever and yellow eyes. I have a swollen abdomen with extreme pain if I lay down By not improving, I am sent for Dubin- JohnsonSyndrome stable with Cholangiolitic Hepatitis condition and compensated with 30%. In 1975, lower it to 10% and now to 20%. I have never improved. I already had surgery for prostatic cancer and for the fatty liver I suffer from Diabettes. In addition I have small cysts in the kidneys. The bilirubin is always about 2.6 to 3.00 when the normal range is 0 to .1. I am currently experience a strong arthritis…All day have problems with my health, I am physical and mental deterioration…since 1975 I have been appealing.

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I’d recommend you work with your local Veterans Service Representative or Veterans Service Organization to file a request for increase for your current rated conditions, and add any new conditions. Since this is an illness that started while you were on active duty it doesn’t have to be related to the illnesses on the Camp Lejeune presumptive list. You should be rated based on your current health. Make sure you include your current medical records and a letter from your doctor if you aren’t being treated at the VA. If this can all be connected back to your illness when you were in the Marines, it will make it easier for the rater when your claim is reviewed. Good luck to you sir.

94. THOMAS CARMEN AMICO JR March 17, 2017 at 10:21 pm

I’m a 84 year old Marine veteran with terminal stage 4 lung and kidney cancer with metastis to lower back,spine and pelvic areas. I’M currently going thru radiation and chemo to try and stabilize the cancer. I was stationed at LEJUENE –court house bay–mainside and Onslow Beach from June 1 1953 thru Jan 30, 1953. I don’t know how munch time I got left, however, I ‘d like to know if I qualify—how and where do I APPLY for any compensation. I ain’t looking for any handouts, just looking for fair treatment—–some payback for the time I spent freezing my ass off in Korea. Judging from the posted comments, about getting results, the (redacted) MARINE CORP HAS NOT CHANGED IN OVER 60 YEARS, I want you folks at VA. to take notice, that if my case is not handled judiciously, I Assure you, I will file complaints with both my Senators, RICHARD BURR AND TOM TILLIS both from NC.
    THOMAS C. AMICO, USMC 1201403

HIGH POINT, NC. 27265

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Sir, first I want to thank you for your service and tell you how sorry I am that you are going through this. I would urge you to contact your local Veterans service representative, either at the VA or through a Veterans Service Organization like Disabled American Veterans or the VFW to help with your claim. Information on the Camp Lejeune presumption and how to file on your own is at this link. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/index.asp

Please include a letter from your doctor explaining your current illnesses and condition. Claims for older Veterans and those with terminal illnesses are processed as a priority.

95. Tommy L Brown March 17, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I was a corpsman at Lejeune from August of 1970 till October of 1971. In 2014 I had my left kidney removed due to cancer. Filed a claim, denied, said smoking and family history were the cause. Don’t smoke and nobody in my family has ever had kidney cancer. Filed a notice of disagreement in July of 2015. I never hear anything on this. Anybody have any idea how long this takes?

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Appeals related to Camp Lejeune service are currently being reviewed. You should hear something soon.

96. Lynn Vecciarelli March 17, 2017 at 10:09 pm

My husband was stationed at Camp LeJeune during this time and has had Essential Tremors for some time, is this being included under Parkinsons?

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 1:34 pm

This is a great question for your doctor. I’d recommend scheduling an appointment with your VA medical center or clinic to get a diagnosis in your record. The doctor can determine if it is the early stages of Parkinson’s Disease.

97. Donald W Simmons March 17, 2017 at 9:31 pm

What about colon cancer?

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Colon cancer is not on the list. While preparing the Camp Lejeune presumptions, the latest scientific evidence and studies were used to find an association between the contaminants of concern at Camp Lejeune and any associated illnesses. These studies included the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (2012), the National Institute of Health’s National Toxicology Program (2014), and four new studies identified by the Institute of Medicine in 2015. VA will continue to review published medical research to see if any new illnesses are identified.

98. Robert B. Stockbridge March 17, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Why are gaul bladder issues not addressed as a condition? Mine had cancer contained within that no one knew so the water is in all tissue cells. You would think more categories would be listed. No confidence ever have I had with the VA as an organization.

• Donna Stratford March 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm

99. Nathaniel Curley March 17, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I have a sister who was stationed at Camp Lejeune back in the 80s. She contacted a disease called MoyaMoya while stationed there. My question is: Would she be able to receive any compensation? Thank you.