Getting the most out of your VA experience begins with understanding what VA can do for you.

Veterans, their families, caregivers and survivors can use the newly updated VA Welcome Kit to learn about VA benefits and services. The VA Welcome Kit is organized around major life milestones, such as separating from military service, retirement, or seeking care while aging. The 14 ‘quick-start guides’ included in the VA Welcome Kit provide additional information, such as:

• Applying for VA health care.
  • Getting started with mental health services.
  • Getting started with health services for women Veterans.
  • Understanding community care.
  • Accessing urgent care.
  • Applying for disability compensation.
  • Understanding the modernized decision review process.
  • Applying for education benefits.
  • Applying for burial in a VA national cemetery and for memorial products.
  • Getting started with services for Veterans aged 65+.
  • Getting started with Veteran state benefits and services.
  • Getting started with Vet Center services.
  • Getting started with caregiver benefits.
  • Applying for survivor benefits.

Whether you are just separating from service or have been a civilian for years, the VA Welcome Kit is your guide to helping you get started at VA – and sustaining you throughout your VA journeyIt offers information on how VA can help you at major life milestones, including planning for retirement and care into your golden years.

The VA Welcome Kit also has information on accessing resources for taking care of yourself, such as accessing mental health care, women Veterans services, caregiver support and getting care at community providers.

Navigate VA Benefits

Keep thVA Welcome Kit handy for reference and share it with anyone who may also need help navigating their VA benefits. Over 800,000 VA Welcome Kits have been downloaded and over 260,000 printed and distributed to more than 250 organizations and individuals so far. The VA Welcome Kit is regularly updated online when new information is available, so we encourage you to bookmark the link.

If you have suggestions for additional information to include in the VA Welcome Kit, please submit them to vawelcomekit@va.gov.

Published on Dec. 16, 2020

1. Ed Kotlinski December 18, 2020 at 5:51 pm

I have had outstanding care from the VA Health Care System since signing up for coverage. I have been treated with respect, courtesy and professionally. Never received better service from the private sector.

2. Woody Lee Davis December 18, 2020 at 4:42 pm

The V A kit sounds like a great new idea. I would like one please. Can I receive one. Mail or e-mail, either.

3. Jeri Batsford December 16, 2020 at 10:02 pm

This only exists on paper.
    Liar

4. Jeri Batsford December 16, 2020 at 9:55 pm

I hate the VA. You screw is over at every turn. Then you put out all these lies.
    I feel like puking.
    I pray every day you all just drop dead.
    Liars and murderers every one.
    I hate you and I will be glad to die to Ed ape the world that you exist in.
    Go Fck yourself.

5. David Merle Larson December 16, 2020 at 7:33 pm

What is available. I served from 86-90 and was recalled for Desert Storm in 91.

6. Robert L Stockett December 16, 2020 at 7:18 pm

I am 89 years old. I am a veteran of the Korean era USMC 1951-1954. I am in need of a caregiver to help help me apply medications for my back problems.

7. Dennis Whiteside December 16, 2020 at 7:18 pm

I need the VA benefits

8. Jen Buchholz December 16, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Could we have a welcome kit sent to us in the mail?

9. Edgar Ewing Mills December 16, 2020 at 6:31 pm

VA is a joke

10. Edgar Ewing Mills December 16, 2020 at 6:30 pm

I never expected the VA to do anything for me I requested an increase in my disability it was turned down turn down turn down V A is a joke

• The Community Catalyst Award will honor organizations for excellence in building solutions that improve experiences for the Veteran community.

• The Dog Tag Fellowship Program for Veterans helps aspiring entrepreneurs learn the ins and outs of running a small business.

• Free and low-cost resources are available to service members and Veterans that can make legal concerns less burdensome.