Lead the VA benefits delivery revolution as the Under Secretary for Benefits (USB) at the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA). In this critical position, you’ll help optimize the delivery of non-health benefits and services that Veterans receive from VA.

Serving as the principal advisor to the VA Secretary on non-medical Veterans matters, you will:

  • Be responsible for the delivery of services and benefits to Veterans and their beneficiaries.
  • Oversee the development of legislative initiatives.
  • Implement policies.
  • Provide direction for the application of innovative management techniques.
  • Work to increase organizational effectiveness and efficiency.

As a senior leader, you will use extensive leadership and communication skills, ethics expertise, and knowledge of VA benefits policy to negotiate with stakeholders and partners at all levels.

You’ll need to effectively communicate VBA’s major initiatives to a wide range of individuals and groups, including members of Congress, Veterans Service Organizations, other government entities and the private sector. The Under Secretary for Benefits is a presidential appointee.

Serve Veterans at VBA

VBA is a leading advocate for service members, Veterans, their families and survivors – ensuring they receive the benefits they need, such as disability compensation, pension and insurance. It helps Veterans and their families buy homes, earn degrees, and start careers.

It operates 56 regional offices, 540 intake sites and out-based facilities, and 38 special processing and call centers throughout the nation, as well as in Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

With a fulfilling career at VBA, you’ll help Veterans and their families receive their benefits in a responsive, timely and compassionate manner. Strong, effective leaders like you help us follow through on the promise we’ve made to the millions of men and women who’ve served our nation.

In addition to the rewards of serving America’s heroes, you’ll enjoy a wide range of benefits and perks, including:

  • Premium-support group health insurance, including dental, vision and long-term care, which may become effective on the first full pay period after you start.
  • Term life insurance with family and additional coverage options.
  • Access to the Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS), a three-tier retirement plan composed of Social Security, FERS basic benefits and the Thrift Savings Plan.

Work at VA today

As USB, you’ll lead the delivery of benefits and services for Veterans. Apply your vast leadership skills and knowledge making a difference in the lives of our nation’s heroes.

NOTE: Positions listed in this post were open at the time of publication. All current available positions are listed at USAJobs.gov.

Share this story

Published on May. 17, 2021

Estimated reading time is 2.2 min.

Views to date: 350


  1. Robert Christopher Taylor May 20, 2021 at 2:37 am

    Why is it that the VBA defers all decisions I have filed for? All they have to do is to follow the rules and regulations. I was forcefully raped while in service and they are constantly deferring payment for that and other issues I have filed for that are service connected. I have been fighting them since 2009 and losing everything I have since I only get SSI DISABILITY.

    • Michael Michael May 20, 2021 at 10:52 pm

      I have the same questions!!!!

  2. MICHAEL Fowble May 20, 2021 at 1:32 am

    When is the VA going to reimburse the co-pays that veterans paid and we’re promised by congress to return those co-pays ? Everybody else in America who have never served their country are getting all kinds of benefits, however the veterans have been placed last on the list

  3. Wendy Doolittle May 19, 2021 at 10:24 pm

    Please see your local DAV. They will fight for your rights.

  4. Charles Roberts May 18, 2021 at 2:47 pm

    I have been declared as DECEASED-by my bank. I need the VA to know the declaration is false.

    • Vincent Hampton May 19, 2021 at 11:40 pm

      Hello Mr. Roberts:
      Sir, I’m writing in response to the concerns you expressed, of being erroneously declared
      Deceased. ‘It’s good news to hear you’re still with us!
      *You need to do two things: ‘Contact the ‘Veteran’s Administration, at ‘VA.gov’ and the ‘Social Security Administration’, at ‘SSA.gov’.
      *It takes the ‘Social Security Administration’, about two days to correct any ‘glitches’ as to
      your ‘Viability of Existence’; they in turn coordinate their findings with the ‘VA’ enabling a smooth transition, in their ‘Proof of Life’ determination, so that your benefits aren’t adversely affected. Good Luck!

  5. Richard C Bertram, Jr May 17, 2021 at 5:50 pm

    I am a veteran of who served the last year or two during the occupation of Japan . I spent the rest of my 3 years in Japan. I am now 90 years old and disabled some. I would like to contact someone with the VA and see if they would help me get a new motorized wheel chair, the one I have was made in 1990 and is kind of llike me old.Can you tell me who to contact?

    • Vincent Hampton May 19, 2021 at 10:51 pm

      Hello Mr. Bertram:
      Sir, I saw your inquiry regarding ‘Motorized Chair’, so I’m sending you this information with the hope that it will aide you in your quest.

      *”Open the Accessibility Menuwhite left arrow
      N95 MASK-S-ERGOS™ Designed in Taiwan-The Wheelchair Choice & Trusted Brand Since 1994
      Skip to content
      Karman® Wheelchairs
      You are a Vet: How to Get Mobility Assistance from the VA – GET XO-505

      September 10, 2015

      The Veterans Administration (VA) can help out if you are a veteran who has mobility assistance requirements. If you were injured during a conflict or if you are a Baby Boomer who is having a difficult time moving around on your own, the VA provides analysis, doctor prescribed treatment and monetary support. Power wheelchairs such as our XO-202 or 505 series could be a good start to do research on what is a medical necessity. Use this directory to start as we have many of our products at their showrooms. However it is best to speak to your direct VA representative if you are in a different state than California.

      VA Long Beach Healthcare System
      | View the Web Site | CBOCs/OPCs
      Facility Picture
      5901 E. 7th Street
      Long Beach, CA 90822

      Phone: 562-826-8000 Or 562-826-800

      In order to get the mobility equipment you require, you have to begin with a visit to your VA center. Your primary healthcare provider would need to recommend you to a VA clinician who would do an analysis on you to figure out if and what kind of mobility equipment you qualify for.

      Mobility Options must be Determined

      Once a determination has been made, your clinician will go through your mobility equipment options. It might be determined that all you would need is a cane. On the other hand, a wheelchair and a vehicle lift might be required. From initial contact to getting the required mobility equipment can be a lengthy process which can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Once you have received your mobility equipment, you can get follow up care by going back to your VA.

      What Choices Do You Have?

      Most likely the VA will give you a wheelchair or power scooter. Additionally, you might be entitled to a VA grant that will cover adaptive equipment like a wheelchair lift or in some cases even a vehicle. Once you have received this kind of grant, you can take advantage of the driving rehab program which will help you get accustomed to entering, exiting and driving your vehicle. It is also possible to get grants for home modifications that include things like adding an access ramp, making interior doorways wider and installing grab bars at various locations throughout your home. Vets who meet the qualification can get as much as $60,000. Going through the process of getting the financial assistance needed for obtaining mobility equipment can be very confusing. Your local mobility equipment store should have qualified staff that can help you through this complicated process.

      VA Funding for Wheelchair Accessible Handicap Vans for Disabled Veterans
      The VA has several programs to fund wheelchair accessible vehicles for disabled veterans, including veterans with ALS and MS. The experienced staff at the Creative Mobility Group can help navigate you thru the method of utilizing these VA benefits and selecting the wheelchair accessible vehicle and adaptive equipment that’s perfect for your mobility needs. If you’re a veteran in need of a wheelchair accessible van or already within the process of obtaining a vehicle, please contact the Creative Mobility Group to find out more about VA programs and therefore the products we provide for your independence. For your convenience, we will even arrange for a mobility consultant to satisfy you at your home for a free needs assessment and merchandise demonstration.

      Service-Connected Programs
      The Veterans Health Administration has determined that if a veteran incurred or aggravated illness or injury within the line of duty, within the active military, naval or air service, the veteran could also be eligible for service- connected programs. the 2 main programs offering assistance to service-connected veterans are the Auto Allowance Grant and therefore the Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program.

      To be eligible to receive the Auto Allowance Grant or funds from the car Adaptive Equipment Program, the veteran must be within the Veterans Health Administration system. Veterans receiving care through a VA medical facility are already within the system and may apply for these vehicle mobility benefits. If not, they’re going to got to apply for health care through the VA. More information on service-connected programs is out there here.

      Auto Allowance Grant
      The Auto Allowance Grant awards $21,058.69 to eligible service- connected veterans for the acquisition of a wheelchair-accessible vehicle, not limited to a car, truck or van. To be eligible to receive financial assistance, a veteran or serviceperson must have acquired or aggravated an injury or disease during active military service, or as a results of medical treatment or examination, rehabilitation , or compensated work therapy provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs. This grant must be approved by the VA, can only be awarded once during a lifetime, and is paid on to the dealer upon purchase of a vehicle.

      To find out more details about this process and every one of the standards a veteran must meet to be eligible for the Auto Allowance Grant, contact the Creative Mobility Group at 888-998-4264.

      Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program
      The Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program provides equipment and training to assist eligible, service-connected veterans safely enter, exit and/or operate a automobile . It includes, but isn’t limited to, special equipment necessary for wheelchair access and any modification of the dimensions of the inside space of the vehicle. The Adaptive Equipment Program could also be paid quite once, and should be paid to either the vendor or the veteran. The Veterans Health Administration will reimburse a veteran for automobile adaptive equipment a maximum of twice within a 4-year period.

      To find out if you’re eligible to receive the car Adaptive Equipment Program and what equipment is roofed under this program, please contact an ingenious Mobility Group veteran advocate or call 888-994-4264.

      Non-Service Connected Programs
      Veterans who don’t have a service-related condition as determined by the Veteran Health Administration are classified as non-service- connected veterans. Veterans who served within the military for a minimum of 90 days and were honorably discharged can receive VA Health benefits, including funding for a secure means of transportation. Even non- service-connected veterans who served quite 20 years ago and didn’t sustain their injury while on active military duty may qualify for these vehicle mobility benefits.

      The two main programs offering assistance to non-service-connected veterans are the Van Modification Ingress/Egress Program and therefore the Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) program. To be ready to receive the funds from either of those programs, the veteran must be within the Veterans Health Administration system. Those veterans currently receiving care through a VA medical facility are already within the system and may apply for these vehicle mobility benefits. If not, they’re going to got to apply for health care through the VA.

      Van Modification Ingress/Egress
      The Van Modification Ingress/Egress may be a program providing funding to veterans for vehicular access equipment allowing safe entry and exit into and out of a vehicle. Non-service-connected veterans with conditions like MS, ALS, quadriplegia, paraplegia or loss of use of both lower extremities are eligible to receive non-operational equipment to supply ingress and egress to the van. Non-operational equipment includes lifts, tie downs, a raised roof, raised doors and a passenger transfer seat.

    • Margaret Poindexter May 20, 2021 at 12:32 am

      Dear Richard,
      The quickest way to get a motorized chair is to contact your VA primary doctor. Your doctor needs to write a order for you. I’m assuming you have a VA primary. Call your local VA office and make a appointment to see your doctor and the doctor will give you the order and let you know where to get the chair.

      Best wishes,


  6. Norman Joseph Bartley May 17, 2021 at 5:17 pm

    Yes I don’t know why my VA benefits being stuck at 40%. Service connected my right eye since 1989 when I was active duty at Ft Hood TX. And.more worst my sleep abniea was severe and still nothing.. So as my other claims. Is it because I am National Guard and recently retired last year May 2020. Just a VERY CONCERN veteran.

    • Vincent Hampton May 19, 2021 at 11:00 pm

      Hello Mr Bartley:
      Sir, I’m writing with regard to the concerns expressed regarding your disability allotment.
      I’m forwarding this information with the hope that it will aide you in your quest for a renewed determination as to the issues expressed. Good luck!

      “VA decision reviews and appeals
      The legacy VA appeals process has changed to the decision review process. If you disagree with a VA decision dated on or after February 19, 2019, you can choose from 3 decision review options (Supplemental Claim, Higher-Level Review, or Board Appeal) to continue your case. If you aren’t satisfied with the results of the first option you choose, you can try another eligible option.

      On this page
      Request a decision review or appeal
      Manage your decision reviews and appeals
      More information and resources
      Mark your calendar
      In most situations you have one year from the date on your decision letter to request a decision review. The deadline to file may be different if you have a fiduciary claim or a contested claim, or you’re filing a Supplemental Claim.

      Request a decision review or appeal
      Decision review option: Supplemental Claim right-arrow
      You can file a Supplemental Claim if you have new and relevant evidence that we didn’t have when we reviewed your case before.

      Decision review option: Higher-Level Review right-arrow
      Ask for a more senior reviewer to look at your case. You can’t submit new evidence with a Higher-Level Review.

      Decision review option: Board Appeal right-arrow
      If you don’t agree with the decision on your Supplemental Claim or Higher-Level Review, you can appeal to a Veterans Law Judge at the Board of Veterans’ Appeals.

      After you request a decision review right-arrow
      Find out what happens after you request a decision review.

      Contested claims right-arrow
      If you’re one of multiple people claiming a benefit that only one party has a right to, find out how to request a decision review.

      Insurance claims right-arrow
      If you have an insurance claim, find out how to request a decision review.

      Fiduciary claims right-arrow
      If you have a fiduciary claim, find out how to request a decision review.

      Manage your decision reviews and appeals
      Check your VA claim status right-arrow
      If you already requested a decision review or filed a legacy VA appeal, sign in or create an account to check your status.

      Manage your legacy VA appeal right-arrow
      If you filed a Notice of Disagreement for a decision dated before February 19, 2019, learn about the legacy VA appeal process.

      More information and resources
      Frequently asked questions right-arrow
      Get answers to frequently asked questions about decision reviews.

      Get help requesting a decision review right-arrow
      A Veterans Service Organization or VA-accredited attorney or agent can help you request a decision review.

      Call us
      VA benefits hotline:
      eBenefits technical support:
      MyVA411 main information line:
      If you have hearing loss, call TTY: 711.

    • Margaret Poindexter May 20, 2021 at 12:42 am

      Dear Norman,
      I can’t tell from your post if you have filed a recent claim for additional benefits, if not, that would be your first step. It does not matter the branch of service or that you recently retired. If you are having a difficult time filing or understanding your benefits contact the DAV Service organization in your area. Disabled American Veterans, or any service organization. They are free and will help you get the benefits you deserve.

      Best wishes.


Comments are closed.

More Stories

  • The PACT Act will help VA provide health care and benefits to millions of toxic-exposed Veterans and their survivors. Veterans have already begun to apply for the benefits.

  • More than 821,000 Veterans who want the convenience of an easy app on their smartphones are downloading VA’s Health and Benefits mobile app.

  • Join our recruiters for three events this October and learn what a career at VA has to offer.