Agent Orange

VA will begin implementing provisions of the William M. Thornberry National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 (Public Law 116-283), adding three conditions to the list of those presumptively associated with exposure to herbicide agents, more commonly known as Agent Orange. Those conditions are bladder cancer, hypothyroidism and Parkinsonism.

“Many of our Nation’s Veterans have waited a long time for these benefits,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough. “VA will not make them wait any longer. This is absolutely the right thing to do for Veterans and their families.”

VA will apply the provisions of court orders related to Nehmer v. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, which may result in an earlier date for entitlement to benefits for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during the Vietnam War. Vietnam War era Veterans and their survivors who previously filed and were denied benefits for one of these three new presumptive conditions will have their cases automatically reviewed without the need to refile a claim. VA will send letters to impacted Veterans and survivors.

Particulate Matter Exposures

The Secretary recently concluded the first iteration of a newly formed internal VA process to review scientific evidence to support rulemaking, resulting in the recommendation to consider creation of new presumptions of service connection for respiratory conditions based on VA’s evaluation of a National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine report and other evidence. VA’s review supports initiation of rulemaking to address the role that particulate matter pollution plays in generating chronic respiratory conditions, which may include asthma, rhinitis and sinusitis for Veterans who served in the Southwest Asia theater of operations during the Persian Gulf War and/or after September 19, 2001, or in Afghanistan and Uzbekistan during the Persian Gulf War.

“VA is establishing a holistic approach to determining toxic exposure presumption going forward. We are moving out smartly in initiating action to consider these and other potential new presumptions, grounded in science and in keeping with my authority as Secretary of VA,” said Secretary McDonough.

VA is initiating rulemaking to consider adding respiratory conditions, which may include asthma, sinusitis and rhinitis, to the list of chronic disabilities based on an association with military service in Southwest Asia, Afghanistan and Uzbekistan during the covered periods of conflict. VA will conduct broad outreach efforts to reach impacted Veterans and it encourages them to participate in the rulemaking process.

For more information, visit our website at Airborne Hazards and Burn Pit Exposures – Public Health.

Published on May. 27, 2021

1. Cathy Myers June 22, 2021 at 3:59 pm

I was at mountain home afb 1975 to 1980. I was proud to restore many F 111 A fighters environmental systems back to peak efficiency. Their use in Vietnam and Thailand took a heavy toll. The work was nasty, many chemicals, oils, fiberglass, the duct work in the avionics bay located in the nose was trashed. A thankless smelly unending job, which I was proud to do. I was selected to be on the team that modified one F111A from a fighter into a high tech wicked cool jamming device the EF-111-A. At age 59 I had my first rare cancer, thyroid and later a 2nd cancer even rarer Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor in my abdomen. I am now 67, unable to work and already living in an old age living facility. I trusted the authorities in charge completely. The chemicals, grease removers, cleaners, foam retardants sprayed often we used without question. The burn pits were operating no matter which way the wind was blowing. Worst of all I now find out the bubblers we consumed water from in our hangers were polluted. It was our only source. This was the only work I ever did under such conditions and now I pay a very high price, no future. Thank you for allowing me to vent. Tsgt Myers.

2. Clark June 17, 2021 at 5:35 pm

I’m a child of a deceased Vietnam vet. I have one of the birth defects listed other than spinabifida.Is there no hope for compensation for the children of Male Vietnam Vets?

• Jen June 21, 2021 at 2:33 pm

I am wondering this as well. This is a real thing….it is not just a problem with females that served and were exposed. My siblings and I have more then one of the affects from my fathers exsposure.

3. Scott Runde June 16, 2021 at 10:37 am

I served in the 49th TAC Fighter Wing and got out in late 1974 after breathing jet exhaust on the flight line for almost a year.
    When I got home I worked at NASA Moffitt Field and then got a job as a Pipefitter for Local 38 and worked first on an Oiler ‘USNS TALUGA’ in Oakland Docks, and at the Naval Dry docks at San Francisco “Triple -A ” 3rd street on DD, FF, Destroyers, and the USN supply ship ‘Mars’ . 1975 -77. Between the Benzine in the JP4 that I breathed, the Asbestos and “Oils” on the Tuluga, and the God knows what on the other ships it is a no wonder that I have COPD. The VA even treats me for it but how do I get a claim approved?

I have lost a kidney to cancer, had stage 3 Lymph cancer treated, skin cancers, and colon cancer treatments.

When I tried to claim hearing loss from jet noise, I was told I was 1 decibel from being deaf in both ears but DENIED. A few years later they said oh yeah we’ll give you hearing aides but your not service connected….
    And on it goes… now they are concerned again?

Any info on how to file and win a claim would be appreciated.

[Editor: Although VA recommends Veterans work with accredited VSOs, here’s a few details that can help. Every claim submission needs to provide three things: a current medical diagnosis; evidence of an event/injury/medical condition in the Vet’s service medical records; and a nexus from a doctor linking the former to the latter. These are the evidence pieces you should give to your VSO, or if filing on your own, the evidence you scan and attach when submitting a claim at VA.gov. ]

4. Milton Findley June 14, 2021 at 8:20 pm

The review board keeps telling me this every time I refile after a new presumptive condition gets named, all five of them as of this writing. The letter acknowledges that I have the conditions, but states that my service is not believed to be the cause. Three tours in Vietnam, all on the DMZ, two brown water, one blue water. Over two years in one place. So probably not a budget buster.

5. Donna Barr June 14, 2021 at 7:11 pm

I’m an Anniston vet. Any others here? If you don’t know what an Anniston vet is, you probably aren’t one. Just checking.

• Cheryl June 16, 2021 at 10:45 pm

My late husband was. We lived on McClellan from about April to August 1969, so not too long, but he served there after Vietnam. Was on duty there when Hurricane Camille hit Gulfport, MS and was deployed down there for rescue and recovery. NOT a great idea sending him to the coastline and semi-jungle conditions back into death and destruction, but that’s Uncle Sam for you. We roamed around downtown Anniston quite a bit. Our son was conceived on that base. He got a double whammy being a Vietnam vet’s son and then whatever was going on with the poison that was Anniston, good ol’ Monsanto strikes again :-( And of course, we never knew about that until it was decades too late. Good luck to you.

• Roy kilgore June 22, 2021 at 11:35 pm

I was there for six months at ft. McClellan the Va keep trun me down on my lung that started there at ft. McClellan they say they don’t know what to called it they know they don’t want to Admit to it my name is Roy Kilgore

6. Renee Peterson June 9, 2021 at 10:50 am

Can someone tell me why or how Agent Orange can skip the stomach. Oral, lung, esophagus, colon, prostrate, blood but not the stomach? My husband died from gastric cancer and according to the appeals board so did many other Viet Nam Vets

• Vic Francis June 11, 2021 at 11:27 am

I feel like Charlie Brown kicking his football and our government is Lucy and like Lucy our government will pull the rug out from all of us. Every day I was subjected to JP-4, Agent Orange surrounding our perimeter, MOGAS, Diesel and God knows what else. I know I’m not alone. We all suffered mentally and physically and are still suffering. My thyroid quit years ago, 3 hernia operations, and compared to many of us, I’m lucky but At 75 years old, I don’t know how much I have left. I hope this isn’t a “Hurry up and wait”. My wife deserves better ans so do we.

7. Ellen Shannon Spinks June 7, 2021 at 2:47 pm

I am looking for Robert? Bustamante, who served in the Marines with my husband stateside during the VietNam years. My husband, Tom Spinks died of Parkinson’s Disease so I was reading about this and thought this may be a place to find Robert. Tom had wished for years that he could find his friend. And I wanted to try to talk to him, Ellen Spinks

• Jerry Clement June 8, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Howdy Ellen,

I was a platoon leader in Vietnam with the 1st Cavalry Division in 1969 and I’ve been able to locate and contact more than 50 men from my unit.

The name Robert Bustamante appears in several states. If you would like my help just let me know. I’ll ask for the unit your husband was in and during what time period. Knowing the approximate age of Robert will eliminate some of the other Roberts. It will make it much easier if you know a state he has lived in.

Take care,
      Jerry

• Cheryl June 8, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Longshot, but were you there in ’68 as well. My late husband was with the 14th combat engineers assigned to the 1st Cav. Airmobile Division. He had a friend who was killed in ’68 that was the only one he ever spoke of, and it traumatized him for life. I always hoped we could connect with his family to let him know how much he meant to him, but all I have is a first name and description and where he was from. Needle in a haystack. Thanks for helping the lady above.

• Jerry Clement June 14, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Howdy Cheryl,

I tried to respond to you twice, but they won’t accept my posts for some reason. So sorry. I’m giving this one last try.

It will be difficult to locate your husbands friends family, however it may be possible. Will you please provide me with the mans first name and the other information you have about him. I have an idea of how to get started.

Take care,
          Jerry

• Scarlett Thorne Solano June 9, 2021 at 8:11 am

Hello Jerry
        I lost my fater 4 years ago to the toxic water at camp Lejeune. He was in Vietnam in 69 as well. I would love to find others that new him. His name was Mark (silver)Thorne.

• Jerry Clement June 14, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Howdy Scarlett,

If you have a copy of his DD214 and / or know the unit he was in you have a starting point.

Take care,
          Jerry

• Nicole Coon June 14, 2021 at 11:13 pm

My name is Nicole Coon. My father was Franklin Coon served in Vietnam. I received a letter from the VA today asking me to reach out they are liking for his next of Kin. He passed away in 2015 with heart failure and had skin cancer . He mentioned this orange agent lawsuit to me years ago when I was still in early teens. He had me late in life . I don’t know dates ir anything and sadly my mother passed a few months back and I have no other family to ask.

• Cheryl June 8, 2021 at 5:16 pm

There are a couple of things that come to mind that you could try. Ancestry.com has a military lookup feature, and there is a website called vetfriends.com. Neither is free, but I don’t know how much they are. You being the spouse rather than the actual veteran, you may or may not get to join. Ancestry is likely your best bet. My husband had a buddy who died there in ’68, and all I knew was his unit and first name. Have never been able to figure out who he was :-( Good luck!

• Jerry Clement June 14, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Cheryl,

This is a list of the first names of men from the 14th Combat Engineers who died in 1968. If one of them matches the first name you have I can keep going. If not, I don’t know where to go from here.

Charles, Dennis, Edward, Elliott, Gary, Harold, James, Jeppie, Jerry, John (3), Joseph, Patrick, Paul, Robert (2), Roy, Steve, Terry, Thomas & Willy

If none of these is a match, please let me know so I won’t continue to look for a reply from you. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Take care,
        Jerry

• Sonia Guerrero June 9, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Have you tried social media?

• John Miranda June 9, 2021 at 6:49 pm

How old is Robert now, where do you think he lives at. I know a Roberto Bustamante in Tampa Fl.

8. Darin Thompson June 7, 2021 at 11:42 am

Unfortunately we didnt learn anything with the AO exposure. My brother, who was a chopper pilot for the Army in all of the Sand Box regions, has been riddled with cancer for several years now due to benzene and other additives they put in the jet fuel to help make it more stable. For 2 years they kept trying to tell him it was just battle fatigue. Our old family Country doctor is the one who finally broke the news to my brother and our mother. It took another 4 years of privately paid care before the VA finally started helping out with SOME of the cost. Lawyers come in hot and fade like smoke on the wind after being stalled for so long by the VA. I know what my brother did for our men and women on the ground and I am proud of him for it, but I ashamed of those who sent him to do his job and then threw him away when he was unable to fly anymore. He loved his job. He loved the Army. Its a shame how they treated him once he got sick.

• don j June 7, 2021 at 7:15 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Politicians carry responsibility also. Why not better support vets than pay people to not look for or accept job offers.

9. Diana Macias June 7, 2021 at 12:05 am

Does anyone know if Agent Orange was used during the Korean War? Was it used in Germany at the same time? My father served in the U .S. Army and was later diagnosed with Diabetes, hearing loss, Parkinson’s and other health conditions and according to one doctor at the VA he was exposed to Agent Orange. Tried to find more information but doctor at VA didn’t want to fully confirm nor deny exposure to Agent Orange. Why hide the truth? ALL WHO SERVED DESERVE TO KNOW the answer/s to question/s being addressed.

10. Joe Smiley June 6, 2021 at 2:34 pm

I was exposed to agent orange while serving in Korea on the DMZ. I’ve been told by VA examiners that it’s not in my blood system. The airplanes flew over and sprayed us without warning, I’ve complained for years with no results. Thank god I covered my head with my Fatigue shirt. I have sinus problem that I never had before being exposed. I’m not sure if VA has put me into the exposed group. Horrible, I was on the DMZ June 1969 for four months.

11. Catherine Jones June 6, 2021 at 1:25 am

My dad served in Vietnam. He worked on a base heavy with agent orange. He had only 2 children, my brother and I. We both came down with Hodgkins Lymphoma. It is not a hereditary cancer. It is most likely from agent orange. It only affects less than 1% of the population. So highly unlikely we’d both have it. But we did. We met another soldier who had Hodgkins from serving in Vietnam with agent orange. I wish they would provide some care or help for my brother and I. We’ve fought very hard through chemo and our cancer.

• Eileen Oposnow June 12, 2021 at 9:38 am

Catherine, you and other children of vets have to keep filing with related conditions in order for the VA to show a heredity correlation to the disease to base the approval. I had asked my VA rep because a classmate of mine had this particular problem that your family has. The veteran representative we now have in our county told me that the more that happens, the greater the numbers to have it considered for approval. Form or find a support group to work together in filing claims. He also suggested contacting political representatives to get them to work with you. Unfortunately, not all VA reps are equal. Some are just collecting a paycheck. If yours hasn’t at least tried to help you file a claim, tell you county board or whoever hired her or him, you want a better representative. My county’s VA rep’s paycheck comes out of our tax money…not all counties are willing to pay for us to have a good representative. The one we had before was worthless! When my husband died in 2010, he couldn’t even find the paperwork to apply for a grave marker. He told me the funeral home would take care of it. I sat in the chair, demanded him to look and waited for his lazy ass to find it!
      Back then I should have reported him. I didn’t realize I could or should. He kept his job until he died. The representative we now have is efficient and helpful. Together we are working trying to get all our ducks in a row to file a widows pension claim on the newly approved Parkinsonism agent orange approved disease. Good luck.

• Christopher M Cross June 26, 2021 at 6:19 am

My dad also served in Vietnam and was exposed to Agent Orange and I have a genetic mutation or defect that showed up in the chromosome tests called Ankylosing Sponylitis. My father recently passed but was ” %100 sec connected ” – whatever that means. I have other health issues also. I’m 43 now and one of my two sisters from a different mother has health problems as well. I dont know where to start- and going by all these posts of ppl like myself- it’s looks pretty bleak for outcomes. Any help appreciated. , my fathers name was Gary Tollie.USMC
      Christopher Cross

12. Lois Huffman June 6, 2021 at 12:51 am

My husband was in Korea 1973-1974 he was in the 37thArtillery 6th Battalion Camp Essayons.Will any new VA expand benefits help him?

13. kenneth mason June 4, 2021 at 2:03 pm

So much for all those people and ads saying “welcome home”. The bottom line is still that cases are NOT being dealt with in a timely manner, and additional illnesses are not being added to any list without first having one hell of a tough time being added. The possibility of exposure to benzene and mixed motor pool substances for clearing weeds and oiling down dust in parting lots in bases in Germany is an interesting development. We never thought, or were told to ask our First Sargent ” “Can you tell me what chemicals we are using here, and how will they possibly affect my health 25 years from now?”” We were all asked to step up, and never thought that a real enemy might be the Department of Defense, or perhaps some other EM doing what he had been told to do. Sorry, but I don’t have the time or ability to bear the burden of responsibility when it comes to proving this issue. I would love to see the number of cases where the applicant has died before their case has been resolved. It would most likely be cheaper and distinctly faster to approve every damned request for benefits. It seems we are not getting any help from the very people whose jobs it is to help us. Just my own opinion, I have all but given up even trying. The process seems so slanted as if to prevent the possibility that higher-ranking people bear the burden of responsibility. Some men are so sick they might not be capable of having the clarity of mind to fight for their rights. kapm

• Peter M Pettit June 5, 2021 at 4:02 pm

How do I find out about agent orange being used in Korea up by the DMZ during 1973 and 1974. I have heard that it was used in Korea DMZ area until 1972.I know agent orange was used in Vietnam until 1975, so this makes me think the military would continue use in Korea also. I have been thru 2 bladder cancer surgeries and have other medical issues. Please contact me back with what ever information you might have, Thankyou.

• Rev. Kenneth H. Fails, Sr June 5, 2021 at 10:32 pm

As I read story after story. I submitted my claim in 2008 after being called to the VAMC to be “placed on the registry”. I was soon denied because I was on the wrong colored water. I marked it off and put in my Training Jacket. July 2019, President Donald J. Trump issued a directive that those of us who served in the Tonkin Gulf are now considered Blue Water Navy. We contacted A/O via A/O being washed down the mountains into the Tonkin Gulf. Our desalinators were unable to filter A/O from salt water. This edict became effective 1 January 2020. I resubmitted my claim July2019. I have heard nothing since. The Virus can no longer be used as an alibi. I am asking for help and advisement. My VARO retired. – HMC, FMF, USMC, USS America [CVA66].

• Angel L. Nazario June 6, 2021 at 12:39 am

I was in VN 1968-69 , I have my bladder removed and prostate around 2002 at Palo Alto VA hospital in California ,all by cancer. I have only 50% due to diabetes and diabetic neuropathic . I have tinnitus and PTSD and it have being not approve my claim., for those. Hoping the VA will do it know.

• Mario Gutierrez June 9, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Hey Angel, I’m in the same boat Vietnam 68-69.. 50% disability for same disabilities. In addition I have hyperthyroidism. I’m not sure if the new presumptive condition hypothyroidism is any different. Both are tumors in the thyroid caused by AO. I guess we should be happy that we survived Nam but now we are paying for it 50 plus years later..good luck!

14. George Maye June 4, 2021 at 11:10 am

I was told agent orange was used in Guam to clear foliage at the end of the aircraft parking area and runway to make room for fuel bladder systems. Can anyone confirm this or direct me where to find the truth?

• aaron a dupas June 4, 2021 at 12:02 pm

i was moving a 55 gallon drum of that stuff and it wasted all over my lower body and my supervisor told me to go take a long hot shower and bag all of my clothes and return them to him he would get me some new ones, never to tell me that it was harmful i went back out to the bombdump where i was temporary assigned and read the drums and saw it was herberside i filed and fielded for agent orange but was told not service connected now i have hypothyroidism and Parkinsonism alone with i had to have my prostate removed for i had prostate cancer. what i find as unfair is my brother was in viet nam also during the same time he is getting paid for agent orange but im still being denied. while going through a colnoscopy when i was told they (the doctors and my team care givers) had been looking at my thyroid glans and let me know that they have concerns

• Teri June 4, 2021 at 1:03 pm

What if your parent submitted a claim for a type of cancer that was only from exposure to agent orange, but passed away shortly after submitting the claim and received a letter stating that the claim was being looked into; does that have any validity to it?

• Larry June 6, 2021 at 10:01 pm

I agree with every word you wrote. I have been dealing with them since 2004 with no result. I have had cancer and other illness but still got denied 3 days before Christmas. How’s that for depression. My lawyers quit the case. I have just about giving up on them. I do have one subjection: STOP starting wars.

• Jim Steward June 9, 2021 at 3:00 am

A deceased buddy of mine was stationed on Guam. VA took a leg from him before he died of AO related illnesses related to his time on Guam. Contact a veterans service organization ASAP. My buddy was Merle Stinger and he is missed GREATLY! GOONIE BIRDS got better treatment!

• Charles M Stines June 15, 2021 at 4:54 pm

I have heard that also, and was attached to the SeaBees Public Works, at NAS Agana, June 1974-November 1975…so there is a chance we used the damned stuff to spray and had not a clue

15. Ernestine June 3, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Hi, sorry to hear about everyone having issues getting benefits for thier loved ones. I too am having issues obtaining benefits for my husband who served in Vietnam. He was diagnosed with Aphasia in 2011 and became 100% disabled by Feb. 2012.
    By 2014, the front and both sides of his brain completely shrank and was unable to comprehend judgment and needed full-time care. In 2017, he was no longer able to communicate and was unable to control his bowel movements. He passed last year and I am sure his condition was caused by his exposure to Agent Orange or Blue Water exposure. Both his parents lived to the age of 96. No other family member has this condition. I know of another individual who served in Vietnam and has the exact condition. Please, if anyone else has been diagnosed with Aphasia, or PPA -Primary Progressive Aphasia, please contact me.

16. ed June 3, 2021 at 9:29 pm

hypertension should be on that list of new presumptive illnesses it has been on the list to be added for the last 3 VA directors the NASE&M has deemed it linked to AO and the last few I believe had fears that adding that would be a BUDGET BUSTER and that is why it was and is not being added the last one of the leaders prior to this one started a new round of research on all of the presumed so that he wouldn’t have to deal with the list that had been presented to him by the previous administrator the question still remains why a new review ?

• Bob June 4, 2021 at 9:14 am

I was diagnosed with PPA. I also have Inclusion Body Myositis. Had been notified that i will receive 30% disability for being contaminated with AO and the Rainbow Herbicide agents. The PPA has not been considered. i received my disability for heart and Diabeties II. i have contacted attorneys to fight for me. I’m 75 and i am sick and tired of being lied too.

• Robin wehner June 10, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Hypertension should definitely be added,I got hypertension in my early 40s was in Vietnam 70to 71

17. Evelyn June 3, 2021 at 8:04 pm

My husband served in Vietnam in 1967-1968 and was diagnosed with AML leukemia in September 2020 and died in February 2021. His primary care doctor believes this was a result of exposure to Agent Orange but a VSO has submitted a claim on my behalf for him.

• Cheryl June 4, 2021 at 9:52 am

A VSO may be able to do something, but don’t hold your breath. My husband also served 67-68 with the Army, from DaNang, all the way up to the DMZ at Camp Evans as an Engineer attached to the 1st Cav. He had similar circumstances with diagnosis of Stage IV lung cancer in Nov. 2014 and passed May 2015. He ONLY got 100% disability compensation from time of diagnosis. Nevermind that he was likely suffering from the metastatic cancer for the previous few years….undiagnosed. I, at least, now have survivor benefits to help me in retirement. Otherwise, I would be working myself until I died.

• Tim Adelin June 19, 2021 at 12:43 am

Sadly the VA denies ALL such claims. Our government truly does not care.

18. Roy Eason June 3, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Iserved during the v nam war. I was around agent orange. I have bladder cancer ive had stroke heart attack prostrate cancer and my lungs are scarred up. The va gives you meds but dont wont to give benefits.Our svo where I live dont even wont to talk to you.I tried to get him to make copies of . . va sent me on a disk.Hell he wouldnt even do that to help you . was wondering what you have to do die to get something done.

• Terry Brooks June 4, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Roy, go to the nearest Disabled American Veterans office and ask them for assistance. They will help you with your compensation claim. The VA medical providers do not do this. Sometimes VA service officers are not very efficient.

19. Jose Ramos June 3, 2021 at 7:24 pm

How can I get information sent to me for adding the disability due to Hypothyroidism?

• Cheryl June 4, 2021 at 9:53 am

Your best bet is your local VSO. Most counties have at least one. Good luck!

• joanne Heydon June 8, 2021 at 2:50 am

did you read the article? If you were denied they will contact you, you do not need to submit another claim. Take heart, they will get to you if you were initially denied.

• Clyde W Scott June 8, 2021 at 10:24 am

Go to the nearest Disabled American Veterans office and ask them for assistance.

20. Domingo Buenafuente June 3, 2021 at 6:59 pm

I was stationed at Camp Lejune in Feruary 1959.I had a claim filed.Last year In August I had a traumatic brain injury and nearly died twice.While I was rehabilitating from this injury I received a call from the Veterans Administration about my claim.We got into an argument she told me she was also a Marine she was very nasty. Expletive like her should not work for the Veterans Adim.I almost called the veterans hot line I was so depressed.I want to open up my claim again.Help me please. Domingo L Buenafuente

21. Robert A Gerard June 3, 2021 at 6:29 pm

I was in Dong Ha, Vietnam, from Feb ’68 to April ’69. Do I gualify for any “Agent Orange” compensation ???

• Rebecca Orahood June 4, 2021 at 2:07 pm

One place my brother was stationed was Dong Ha. He receives compensation for Agent Orange exposure. I don’t know if it was specific to Dong Ha. Best advice…do the paperwork, get your service records, go the the VA and get an advocate. Good luck

• Carlton Williams June 6, 2021 at 4:12 pm

Contact your county office of the state Department of veterans services. They will help you prepare your disability claim . Also contact your federal congressional Rep. in Washington and inform his office of your issue.

Don’t give up.

Carlton Williams

• Terry Brooks June 4, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Robert, you will be eligible for compensation if you have medical conditions that warrant it. These include:
      AL Amyloidosis
      Chronic B-Cell Leukemia
      Chloracne (if it presents within one year of exposure to a degree of 10 percent disabling)
      Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
      Hodgkin’s Disease
      Ischemic Heart Disease (including Coronary Artery Disease, stable and unstable angina, myocardial infarction, and sudden cardiac death)
      Multiple Myeloma
      Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
      Parkinson’s Disease
      Peripheral Neuropathy, Early Onset (if it presents within one year of exposure to a degree of 10 percent disabling)
      Porphyria Cutanea Tarda (if it presents within one year of exposure to a degree of 10 percent disabling)
      Prostate Cancer
      Respiratory Cancers, including Lung Cancer
      Soft Tissue Sarcomas (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma, and mesothelioma)

• Lidio Rivera June 5, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Robert,

I believe it’s a 2 part test for eligibility. You have to have served in Vietnam AND have one of the medical conditions recognized by the VA. Call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 (benefits line) and they should be able to tell you the form you need to file and start the process (most likely VA FORM 21-526EZ, SEP 2019). You’ll need prove you served in Vietnam (DD-214 should do it) and prove of your medical condition (doctors’ letters, etc). You can file online or thru the mail (https://www.va.gov/disability/how-to-file-claim/).
      Good luck.

22. Boyd, Penny June 3, 2021 at 6:07 pm

My husband served 68-69 in country. After many years of dealing with the VA in Iowa City, I got him in to Danville, Illinois VA. They treated us so well in Danville.. Comprehensive testing, detailed conversation and claims approved! He has heart problems, diabetes, neuropathy. He was recently diagnosed with Parkinsonism. Should we reopen his case for this?

23. Steven C Manos June 3, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Anything new in regards to children of Vietnam Veterans? I am burdened with hypothyroidism, cyclothymia, type II diabetes, Major depressive disorder, very high anxiety issues, chronic degenerative joint disease and a few other medical issues. Both of my brothers were born before my father was deployed and have no serious medical issues and are about as healthy as you can be. I was born 10 months after my father returned and I am plagued with these issues. Quite the coincidence. My father battled a round of prostate cancer and 10 years later Leukemia which is what killed him Both caused by agent orange. When will there be support for the children? If there is support, could you please point me in the direction needed?

Thank you and god bless our Veterans!

• Cheryl June 4, 2021 at 9:57 am

You sound very much like my 51 yr old son. I have no idea if there is any support for children of Vietnam vets, but I hope there is. My son served in the Army in Desert Storm, so he has his own issues on top of being the son of a Nam vet. Good luck and God bless you.

• Julie June 22, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Steven, if you have not yet, check out Children of Vietnam Veteran’s Health Alliance on Facebook. A large group of now grown children swapping stories and advocating for change. You’ll quickly see you’re not alone!

24. JAMES EVERETT SMITH III June 3, 2021 at 4:24 pm

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS FOR THE VETERNS IN NEED OF HELP.

25. Terry Hackett June 3, 2021 at 4:21 pm

Our 29 year old son has CML Leukemia – I believe from Agent Orange. We also had Downs baby and a miscarriage also from Agent Orange. My husband was covered with the stuff in Vietnam and has multiple medical issues that he has been suffering since his late 40’s.

26. Terry Hackett June 3, 2021 at 4:03 pm

My husband is 100% disabled due to Agent Orange exposure from Vietnam tour. Our 29 year old son was just diagnosed with CML Leukemia. I have been hearing stories of other children coming down with CML of exposed Vietnam Vets. Is anyone else aware of this. Usually CML effects much older people not the very young.

27. jojo June 3, 2021 at 4:02 pm

Benefits are not necessary at this point for us. Too late. But for future others, recognition of the connection between esophageal cancer and Agent Orange in Viet Nam is. It is beyond horrible. VA needs to be alert to symptoms and catch it sooner, with testing. Thank you.

28. Nelly June 3, 2021 at 3:19 pm

My husband died at the age of 88 in Colombia, from a cardiorespiratory arrest, his diagnosis of Epoc, hypothyroidism, Parkinson’s, osteoarthritis and Alzhaymer, these were presented to him from 2015 in Colombia, could it be a consciousness of the war chemicals?
    in 2005 he had open heart surgery

29. Rocky Ford June 3, 2021 at 2:08 pm

I served in Nam 67 and 68 and was diagnosed with AML leukemia in 2012. Had a doctor and a judge state that my leukemia was the result of exposure to agent orange but the VA is giving me 0 per cent compensation.

• Robin Generaux June 3, 2021 at 5:20 pm

It looks good for you now, Rocky!

• Bob June 3, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Squeaky wheel gets the grease
      Get to va office and start squeaking

• Robert Carvell June 7, 2021 at 1:13 pm

It seems that most veterans who submit paperwork will get denied the first time regardless of their condition or supporting evidence. If you get turned down you need to appeal and likely will then be called for an appointment to see a VA doctor. Make sure you go to these appointments and provide as much evidence to support your claim as possible. Good Luck!

30. Sheila R. Wilson-Copeland June 3, 2021 at 2:06 pm

My Father Thomas H. Wilson Sr. (Deceased) died on February 14, 1986, after a gruesome battle with Bone, Lung, and, Stomach cancer. As I understand it Walter Reed Army Hospital conducted trial (experimental) treatments on him to no avail. He had filed an Agent Orange claim several times. He did not receive any type of compensation. I am the sole survivor (daughter). I have his claims on file in my home. As a 30 year retired United States Air Force Disabled Veteran, I have prayed for this day to come. I will write a personal note to the VA claims department so he will not be forgotten in this process.

• Cheryl Bennett June 3, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Good luck with that! My husband was a patient at the Temple VA for decades. He suffered pneumonia in January 2012 and was hospitalized for nearly 2 weeks, part of that in ICU. Came home on a Bipap and directions to use an oxygen concentrator and had to have tanks exchanged every month, I believe. So, he’s a pulmonary patient at that time, but only AFTER he is diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung cancer that was also in his liver and other areas did he get 100% disability rating. Lived for basically 5 months. Woo hoo! What about the other 4 years he was stuck to the damn oxygen? VA kept telling him he had to PROVE he was unemployable at the age of 63 when he had already retired and was on Social Security because he didn’t have the stamina to hold a job. Shouldn’t the VA have records of pulmonary following him those 4 years with repeat chest x-rays to monitor deterioration of his COPD? So, good luck to any of you still living and fighting. We were kicked to the curb.

31. Paula Rader June 3, 2021 at 1:36 pm

My father was in Korea and Vietnam and was diagnosed with colon cancer and lymphoma and died shortly after in 1972. I have had numerous health issues my entire life and was conceived within two weeks of him coming home from Vietnam. Will his cancer or children of male solders ever get any compensation?

32. Mary R Fieramusca June 3, 2021 at 1:01 pm

My husband was in Vietnam in the late 60’s and early 70’s. In early 2012 he was diagnosed with bladder cancer, liver cancer and it was in his bones also. All from Agent Orange. He passed away July 2012. I filed a week later for survivor benefits. It took 5 years before I got anything from the VA. They said in May 2012 they declared 100% disabled with the cancer. I got nothing for that.

33. Robert Daniel June 3, 2021 at 11:50 am

For anyone that has questions about a claim, or their eligibility for VA benefits, you should reach out to your local VSO.

In the following link you will be able to find a representative by searching State or County listings.

• GLENN ANNIS June 3, 2021 at 12:20 pm

My claim for benefits for Agent Orange related Prostate cancer was approved in 2017. It took a period of time because, at that time a US Navy Viet Nam veteran had to prove in country service connection. In the same time frame as my Prostate claim submission I was diagnosed and had subsequent surgery for Bladder Cancer. My submitted medical paperwork included my Bladder Cancer, but I was told it could not be included with my Prostate Cancer claim because it was on the list for approval, but had not been approved. Four years later, it gets approved and I file my claim on 1 March.. I submitted my additional medical documents and completed my medical exam. I have heard nothing since. I inquired to my VA service rep. and he related to me that “All decisions are on hold for Bladder Cancer claims until the VA develops final guidance on how to proceed with these claims. That is all they are waiting for ? It took a number of years, once bladder cancer was put on the potential list , to be approved…waiting patiently….

34. William Green June 3, 2021 at 11:11 am

I am a VSO and I always get comments that “the VA is…” That is partly correct. The VA is merely following what’s in the United States Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and Public Law when handing down ratings decisions. While they (VA) do provide the medical and scientific data to support whether the condition can be service connected or the presumptive(s) in this case, it’s CONGRESS that are the ultimate culprits who implement and dictate what’s in the CFR and Public Law. We need to be filling their mailboxes with our concerns as often as possible.

• Don Merltke June 13, 2021 at 4:19 pm

I also was in nam 2 clicks s of dmz and was found to have bladder cancer in 06 filed a claim in 12 now a new claim this past March I heard they will go back 12 on payment is that true Don

35. John Griffin June 3, 2021 at 10:58 am

I served in Viet Nam Nov 70 -Nov 71, at Anloc VN and was diagnosed in 2010 with hypothyroidism. Then was told, it was not caused by agent orange by the V A Doctor at Seattle. After a couple years of testing and hymm hawing, they found a cancerous pocket inside my thyroid. A few months later, they removed my thyroid. I still believe I was subjected to Agent Orange.

• Michael R. Branum June 3, 2021 at 11:40 am

If you did not file a claim in 2010, you need to file a claim for disability benefits. If you have filed a claim with the VBA since your diagnosis in 2010, the VA SHOULD be contacting you.

• Cyril Kirkland June 3, 2021 at 1:10 pm

While I did not file a claim for hypothyroidism,, I was taking medication for it when I had my Agent Orange exam from which they gave me disability ratings for DM2 and ischemic hear disease.
        Do I need to have my VSO file a claim or does the fact that I had it when I had my Agent Orange exam suffice?

• Eric Rearden June 3, 2021 at 2:43 pm

You may not have standing to file for benefits. Also, Lung cancer has been a recognized Agent Orange presumptive disease for more than 20 years. Take your claims information to a Veterans Service Officer and get advice before filing the claim. I am not judging your entitlement or claim validity. Just get knowledgeable advice, from the VA or an accredited veterans service organization such s the DAV.

• Alex Rago June 3, 2021 at 11:49 am

I was in An Loc the same time with B Troop 1\9. There was a lot of Agent Orange used in the area. Before that I was in 2\12th in the infantry and walked through areas where AO was used. Luckily I haven’t had any problems other than PTSD.

• Colleen Whitlow June 3, 2021 at 2:35 pm

I’d be contacting your advocate asap and get your claim going! My husband now has a 240% disability rating with T&P and we got the final ratings through the American Legion.

• Richard Graziano June 3, 2021 at 2:52 pm

I was stationed at Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River for 5 years in the early and mid 80’s. I was exposes to the toxic water, ( when I say exposed, I mean drinking, cooking and bathing in it) and developed hypothyroidism in my mid 40’s. This is from a person who has zero family history of hypothyroidism. This condition, nor the degenerative joint disease I am dealing with, is covered as presumptive by the VA for the Camp Lejeune water contamination affected veterans. I’m glad that those exposed to Agent Orange are FINALLY getting some progress with the VA and federal government.

• Rene Bascom-Brakefield June 5, 2021 at 1:50 am

I assumed that once a person wS 100%, there was no need to further file for illness related to agent orange. Now , wondering if i am incorrect?? Is there any advantage to further filings??

• Ronald Lane June 3, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Sol Bobst is a great guy. He’s a highly qualified Toxicologist who helps Veterans with claims for exposure to chemicals. He helped me with Agent Orange and Camp Lejuene exposure. Pass this info to everyone who was exposed to chemicals from Vietnam.

• charles dudley June 4, 2021 at 9:08 am

Very same happened to me. If you were in VN, now this disorder is on the presumptive list. You are eligible. Make your claim ASAP if you haven’t already.

36. Beverly Elifritz June 3, 2021 at 10:55 am

What about bases here in the states that stored or disposed of barrels of Agent Orange, like Camp Pendleton?

37. Ted Langan June 3, 2021 at 10:48 am

I served 13 months north of Uijeongbu, Korea, during the time that they sprayed AO. Got bladder cancer treated by VA. Put in claim many years ago when bladder cancer became presumptive. Never heard from VA regarding my case. Saw VSO last month. Very helpful, but was told that the VA routinely denies claims, then you have to prove somehow that your case is a result of AO. Catch 22!

• Steven Downey June 3, 2021 at 11:23 am

Hi Ted, I run a project called Operation Triumphus and have helped point some veterans in the right direction regarding this issue. feel free to reach out.
      Be Well, Steve

• Bessie Willard June 3, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Curious about soldiers that worked on jets, etc. Los Alamitos and ElToro. 4th MAW. Were they ever exposed to AO?
      Husband had sinus and respitory issues for years. Then about 2015 he started having issues with falling and passing out. Finally in 2020 he was dx with PSP. (PROGRESSIVE Supranucler PALSY).

• Robert Kukenberger June 4, 2021 at 7:27 am

When did you serve in Korea? I was stationed at Camp Jackson near Uijeongbu for 16 months in 67 and 68, and spent some of that time in the DMZ establishing artillery survey control. Luckily I don’t seem to have symptoms but always wondered about Agent Orange being used there during that time.
      Be well, Bobby

38. Judy LaGreca June 3, 2021 at 10:38 am

My husband did three tours in Vietnam on the USS Chowanoc. He was diagnosed with bladder cancer and prostate cancer. He passed in April of 2019 due to complications from his surgery. I am so glad they have finally recognized bladder cancer as a result of agent orange. Good luck and God bless you all.

• Susan Westin June 3, 2021 at 11:27 am

My husband, who is a Vietnam vet, has scleroderma. I would like to know how many vets exposed to Agent Orange have gotten this rare autoimmune disease. We get no information about others who have, or had, this incurable disease. I have learned of one Vietnam vet who got scleroderma within the one year limit and who was finally given disability status from the VA for his scleroderma.

Anyone out there know anything about vets and scleroderma?

• Robert Daniel June 3, 2021 at 11:32 am

Judy,
      If your husband was ever denied a claim for those conditions you should visit your local VSO and request to file a claim for Dependents Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and accrued benefits that would pay you the money he should have been awarded.

39. Ralph Andrew Bailey June 3, 2021 at 10:27 am

I am a Vietnam Veteran who, has lived with critical neuropathy after several EMGs. The neuropathy is in my feet, legs and hands. I am not a diabetic which seems to be one of the main items that is considered for VA benefits. I recently had spinal surgery and it has caused my neuropathy to greatly worsen. My neurosurgeon has been researching the neuropathy being caused by Agent Orange and he attests that it has only made matters worse with my neuropathy. I have read articles where the VA is talking about neuropathy being caused by Agent Orange if you do not have diabetes. The age group I am in seems to greatly effected with neuropathy and because we are not diabetics, the VA will not consider this ailment as a cause of Agent Orange. We are effectively ignored by the VA. I feel there should be some consideration into this matter due to the suffering of many veterans. I was in Khe Shan during Tet Offensive during 1967-68 and was sprayed continuously as the government tried to clear vegetation. Thank you for your time in reviewing this note.

• Thomas Keith Hervey June 3, 2021 at 11:23 am

I find.your comment of interest as I just had spinal surgery three weeks ago (Lumbar Laminotomy L2-L5). The condition affected my right leg, mostly, causing numbness where I had to rely upon a cane in order to walk. I do not have diabetes either. I served in Vietnam in Long Binh and Saigon area from Nov 1966 thru Oct 1967 in the Army and had Agent Orange sprayed me many times.

• Cheryl Bennett June 3, 2021 at 11:14 pm

My husband also was there during Tet 67-68. I know he was in Khe Sahn and went on to the DMZ by the time he got out of ‘Nam. He was assigned to the 14th Engr Combat Battalion attached to the 1st Cav airmobile division. Army. Died 6 years ago of AO related lung cancer. Had to fight like hell through the VSO and got rated 70% about 4 years before he died. When he was diagnosed with terminal Stage 4 lung cancer, all of a sudden the VA got charitable and rated him 100%, which did a helluva lot of good for him and for me as a survivor — 5 damn months. So good luck to all who are still fighting the fight. You can’t win.

40. JW Alexander June 3, 2021 at 10:16 am

Enlisted USMC, 2nd BN, 26th Marines, 9th MAB (Battalion Landing Team), I-Corp, 1968-69, Combat Field Radio (PRC-25) Radio Operator. Exposed to AO many times. We didn’t know what killed all the vegetation in many areas on ‘Searching and Destroy’ missions? We thought it was fire but no burn marks? I remember making small cooking fire for my Campbells ‘Cream of Chicken’ soup (a Red Cross package, where my Halazone treated water turned it blue), breathing the smoke. How the hell did we know what it was. Nobody told us? All we were tuned too was “Search and Destroying” the enemy!
    This AO affected my circulatory system (heart), lungs (everything hits my lungs first), and other issues starting in my early 30’s. At 40, I already had two heart operations (outside the VA). I also acquired Grover’s Disease (a rare skin disorder, where the ‘glue’ dissolves around your skin cells). At around 60 I took on the fight which took 14 months of going through their hoops, fighting for assistance. They caved and gave me assistance for my heart/circulatory issues, along with a hearing loss (grenade damaged) and tinnitus. My lungs and Grover’s Disease was not on their list. I’m 72 and my time is limited and it’s been a long hard road, but I’ve raised my posterity. We have learned to never trust our government. Specially the crooked politicians!

41. John H. Smith June 3, 2021 at 10:04 am

It is sad that the gov’t does this. They save a lot of money by just refusing claim after claim. If a claim is denied for 20 years and then was the granted at 100%, they saved over $800,000.00. Now that is just one person. I guess they rather spend the money on recounts and political stuff

42. Robert Puhalla June 3, 2021 at 9:42 am

I served aboard an aircraft carrier in Southeast Asia from 1972-1973. I am now having all kinds of health/medical problems. I applied for Agent Orange disability, but the VA denied my claim.
    My Dad served aboard the USS Rutherford B. Hayes in the Philippines and Southeast Asia in WWII.
    He was shot in the leg by the Japanese. He died at the young age of 47 due to cancer in his leg.
    Always wondered if the bullet in his leg had something to do with developing cancer.

43. RANDAL VIDAL June 3, 2021 at 9:26 am

I WAS AT THE ABERDEEN PROVING GROUNDS AS A TEST VETERAN AND WAS PROMISED MEDICAL CARE IF ANY THING WENT WRONG.
    WELL I HAVE HEAT PROBLEM TYPE 2 DIABETES ENLARGED PROSTATE AND SUFFER FROM PAINAT DIFFERENT TIMES AS WELL AS HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.
    I FILED AND ALL THE RECORDS ARE LOSTED SO I WAS DENIED.
    SO I ALSO WAS AT THE FORT CHAFFEE POST GAVE THEM THOES RECORDS AND STILL HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THEM.
    I’M CALLING WASHINGTON TO FIND OUT WHY WE ALL HAVE TO WAIT SO LONG FOR THEM TO DO SOMETHING!

44. David Alan Wolovick June 3, 2021 at 9:24 am

If these conditions are presumptively associated with exposure to Agent Orange, why does the VA take forever to settle claims? I sent in my biopsy showing prostate cancer and my Bronze Star commendation for service in country. This is not a judgement call. Just two two simple yes-or-no questions: Do you have the condition (in my case prostate cancer)? Were you in Vietnam?

When I applied I was surprised and impressed that a reviewer responded with some questions within days and I provided some more documentation. I called later and was told that the VA had all the information that they needed from me. I was also told that even before the pandemic, claims decisions were never made in less than four months. Having any of these conditions is not fun and thanking us for our service doesn’t help much. I understand that there are backlogs and staffing limits. But somebody reviewed my application almost immediately (a good thing and to be commended) and determined that the request could proceed. Where is the bottleneck and why is it there? My faith in the VA got a big boost by the quick response to my initial application. This mysterious delay is not helping.

• Bill Schulz June 3, 2021 at 12:56 pm

If a service person was in Vietnam, or exposed to chemicals the VA shouldn’t play God. Pay them. I’m 71 documented Agent Orange but no claim with VA. I’m having more and more medical issues, Have filed with a VSO and was denied. The VA is worse than the Post Office

45. Johnnie G. Abbott June 3, 2021 at 9:20 am

I served in the Marine Corps from 1972-1979. My 1st duty station was “Task Force Delta” as is shown in my records. Due to the operations being “Politically Incorrect” today all information about where we were at and did is still classified today. I cannot claim exposure to AO due to neither the Pentagon or Headquarters MC being allowed to tell the VA that I was actually in country and exposed. When I returned to the USA I was stationed at Camp LeJeune and exposed to Benzene in the drinking water and suffered bladder cancer. My claim with the VA was denied for compensation of the medical bills I had to pay out of pocket. Every time I went to the local VA clinic for my 6 month wellness check there was supposed to be now charge for this. This check was blood tests and 20 minutes with the Doctor who was more interested in possible PSTD than anything. Later I would receive bills for the co-pay and my insurance at work was charged $1,800.00! Try getting your money back on any of this. I quit going to the VA for anything!!!!

46. Jose Vigil June 3, 2021 at 9:02 am

I was checked out by a so called doctor at the va clinic for hypertension my reading were 185/95 and the va doctor told me it was ok because of my age which is 70 I myself believe that’s a lot of bull crap. Thank you for nothing

47. john Hutter June 3, 2021 at 9:01 am

My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer 3 years ago. Filed a claim in 2018 was denied. Refiled again Feb 3rd 2021 and been waiting every since. Sent in all the medical records most of which were already on his profile. Still no answer. What is the problem? Why are we waiting 5 months to this to be awarded?

• Arthur Grau June 6, 2021 at 7:32 am

I also filed a claim for bladder cancer in 2010 and was denied. Filed again 12/15/2020 in anticipation of the dx finally being approved as presumptive. I check my status every week, still no decision. They have over 600 pages of medical records for the multitudes of surgeries, treatments, lab work, and final radical cystoprostatectomy 2018. I guess the VA is waiting for me to check out completely.

48. HERMAN CLIFFORD WALL June 3, 2021 at 8:47 am

For the last 24 years, I have been trying to tell the VA that my Hypothyroidism [Graves Disease] is a result of my two years in da’Nam: Vung Tau, Lai Khe, TDYs to parts unknown, and lastly Saigon. No One in my family ever had hypothyroidism [Graves] so when the VA took my Thyroid from me, [and chained me to 14 medications a day for the remainder of my life] in December 1997, it was a shock to everyone in my family!!!

Even if I never see one additional dollar in compensation, it makes my day to see them put in print that yes, Agent Orange exposure causes Hypothyroidism {Graves] Disease!!! I am very happy today as this is the best physical gift anyone could give to me…BARUCH HABA HASHEM ADONAI, BARUCH BEN YESHUA HAMASHIACH, BARUCH RUACH HAKODESH: KODESH-KODESH-KODESH!!! AMIEN UND AMIEN!

hcwjr/ponyhunter98
    Nam Vet [’69 71]
    Medic/ O.R. Technician

• CHARLES MCDIVETT June 3, 2021 at 9:47 am

I was in Nam 67+68 I’ve had Hypothyroidism for a long time what do I do? Charles McDivett

• Lynn Shrader June 3, 2021 at 11:13 am

My father was in Vietnam this same period… he died 25 years ago from Pancreatic Cancer. We tried to apply for some type of benefits due to Agent Orange then and were turned away. How do I apply again if they are actually maybe taking this seriously?

• Robert Daniel June 3, 2021 at 11:41 am

Charles,
        Contact your local VSO and they will help you file a claim to reopen your case using the recent addition of these conditions to the presumptive list as “New and Relevant” evidence.

49. William Sage June 3, 2021 at 8:46 am

My father served in the Korean War with the 25th Infantry Division. He stated that they used Agent Orange several times while they were in Korea. He passed away In 1994 from Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. To this day I have Hypothyroidism and asthma which are two of the side effects in children who’s parent was exposed to Agent Orange.

50. Jose A. Ray, Jr. June 3, 2021 at 8:44 am

in 1972 after coming back from Vietnam-went to VA in Albq., spent week in Hospital with a body rash all over except in crotch area-face-hands-looked and felt like sandpaper-VA told me was caused by a tick bite reaction-gave me numerous medications-to this day-I still get rash on my body and boils on my buttocks-very uncomfortable-was denied agent orange filing for it-our youngest son had his skin on fingers fall-off-I have faith in our VA Facilities-but not in our VA Leaders in getting info about all other Agent Orange Conditions-we are short of time-Please, may you do what is right for our remaining survivors God Bless America and those that pray for all humanity-to live in PEACE

51. Ken June 3, 2021 at 8:41 am

TYPO?
    Last I knew Vietnam was in Southeast NOT Southwest…
    “VA announced today two major decisions related to presumptive conditions associated with Agent Orange and particulate matter exposures during military service in Southwest Asia.”

[Editor: Separate issues. It’s AO, and also particulate matter exposure in SWA.]

52. vincent smodic June 3, 2021 at 8:38 am

I served on a PBR river boat on the mekong in 1971. When I returned to the states in April 72 I went to the VA in Pittsburgh, pa hoping to get some counseling for stress. I was told then that the VA will have your teeth cleaned and that’s all they are authorized to do. All of my skin peeled off but no body was interested in my problems. I finally got FULL VA bendfits 45 years later only because I met a VET in Allentown, pa area and he GUIDED my through the process and actually took me to the Allentown VA and showed me where to go and what to expect when I had to see the PROFESSIONALS. Without his help I would never had gotten anything.

• Jerry Meyer June 3, 2021 at 9:56 am

Sure was glad to see your comment! You wrote an exact copy of what happened to me!! 45 years to get in the VA! Thank God for the one Veteran who talked me into trying one more timeand for the state of Arkansas VSO. 100 percent service connected. Was not easy but with their help it can be done. Without their help I doubt that it can be done!!

• Lynn Shrader June 3, 2021 at 11:26 am

Exactly? Persian Gulf War? Wasn’t Agent Orange used in Vietnam? That’s where my father was and how I know he died! Pancreatic Cancer 25 years ago at only 68 years old!

53. Eric Ouzts June 3, 2021 at 8:31 am

Who do we contact to start the claim process or to see if we are eligible?

• Jim Walton June 3, 2021 at 11:11 am

Contact DAV they will help you get started and shepherd your claim through.

• Lynn Shrader June 3, 2021 at 11:27 am

What if your father has already died? How do I start a claim? Thank you.

• Kathy Regel June 3, 2021 at 11:14 am

My husband who was diagnosed with B cell non Hodgkin lymphoma started his treatment outside the VA then someone told him to go to the VFW or American Legion. They helped us a lot. He is now 100% covered and we are seeing good results from the VA and their care for him

• Lynn Shrader June 3, 2021 at 11:16 am

Exactly my question? My father died already and we tried to file a claim when he did only to be denied. I want this to be taken seriously! I know Agent Orange was the cause of his death and many of his buddies he served with that died around the same time as he did 25 years ago! Please help us!

54. Michael j albanese June 3, 2021 at 8:25 am

I have had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer and served in Vietnam Nam from 67 to 68. Can I file a claim now

• David Clark June 4, 2021 at 12:39 am

File, ASAP; they only go from initial claim date. They give you up to a year to provide any additional evidence if needed. Best to submit quickly and keep copies of everything in one file.

55. Esther Lewis June 3, 2021 at 7:48 am

I was married Tommy husband for 20 years. He served during Vietnam war. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2010. When I found out about this benefit 2012 I had remarried and was told I could get nothing. I received a letter that said if I divorced or became a widow I could.get.the benefit. My husband passed March 2021. I only get the run around when I call. Is someone here have the truth?

56. Chuck McCarthy June 3, 2021 at 7:42 am

I had 2 children die at full term due to birth defects, I believe to be related to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam My oldest son has a rare bone issue untreatable, I believe due to Agent Orange!

57. BWALKER June 3, 2021 at 7:39 am

My dad served the US Airforce in 1952 through unknown date due to his records was burned in the 1973 fire. My dad died of cancer and I RECEIVED NO BENEFITS from the VA as i am my dad only survivor. I am disappointed ive been fighting for my dad benefits only to be told no one can help me. im sure he falls in this category relating to his death. My dad served proudly and for only to receive nothing in return from the VA. No burial benefits, no flag, just nothing!!!!!

• A June 3, 2021 at 8:18 am

We feel your pain, we also got no benefits for a funeral when my father in law died from Agent Orange. Shameful how they treat these vets!! And now that they’re all almost gone to pass this. What a slap in the face!!

58. mark staravoj June 3, 2021 at 7:35 am

i get the burn pits for these folks 100% 2/9th Marines were station at Pohang Korea training with the ROK Marines August 1975 for 30 days we had burn pits also we stood guard no more than 20′ away with black smoke in the air debris burning and going on your utilities plastics/human waste/metal/unspent rds u guarded for hrs our hooches were only 100′ away and u got the smoke as u slept also why are these not considered burn pits is it to let the older Marines die off so u go with the younger Marines first and these younger Marines sure deserve all they get but like agent orange with the 3 new aliments all these years later let the folks die first then include us why is the va not including all of us big black billows of smoke u sniff in when u stood guard/slept but for some odd ass reason we are not included peace

59. Wesley Layman June 3, 2021 at 7:31 am

I served from 1968-68 with the first Marines .
    I’ve had issues with my hands shaking for a long time. I did go to the VA . They did test but couldn’t come up with anything.
    Gave me shock treatments and sent me on my way.

I do get benefits for my hearing but still have issues with my shaking .

Sounds like the guys are finally getting what they deserve.

Wes

• Kenneth Ortensie June 4, 2021 at 8:50 pm

Wes,
      I assume you served in Vietnam, You need to have them check you for Parkinson’s disease. Tell your Primary you need to see a Neurologist. If, you do not have PD, you may be able to file for the new Parkinsom.

60. Monica Williams June 3, 2021 at 7:16 am

My father was in Vietnam as D he was a rifle man and jumped out of planes. There is more to that in his records and he died from cancer. Dad wanted his compensation to go to his daughters . He didn’t receive a dime from the military, because when they finally approved him he died 2 days later. The VA took his money back, told me he was dead and wouldn’t need a check anyway and his children could not receive anything from his estate nor file for compensation. What is going to be done for families that have already loss loved ones prior to this ruling? Will every case be reopened?

61. William V Braniff June 3, 2021 at 7:06 am

My daughter had to have her thyroids removed when she was a young teenager. Will she possibly be eligible for benefits of the new changes? I am a Vietnam combat Veteran, 1968, III Corps.

62. Susan H. June 3, 2021 at 7:04 am

Mary L. Unfortunately you only had one year to continue his claim. If he won it, then you are entitled to his compensation although it will be much less $ than what he would have received. I’d contact the VA and find out where to file to start receiving widow benefits.

63. Alan Cohen June 3, 2021 at 7:04 am

Since this law took effect in early January, 2020, under the previous administration I’m not sure why the Secretary is crowing about it. Is he bragging about complying with the law? Veterans organizations have been fighting for this for years and it took an act of Congress to make it happen because the VA denied or ignored all scientific evidence.
    Thank you for complying with what had to be forced on you, Mr. Secretary, after thousands of my brothers had to die.

64. Rickey Harris Smith June 3, 2021 at 6:36 am

Interestingly, my husband was approved after being diagnosed with prostate cancer. Markers after three years are good thank goodness. However, he’s also had renal cell carcinoma, benefits reduced, and has now been diagnosed with cold agglutinin/MGUS. Denied for tinnitus after action in Vietnam.
    Why bother filing again?

65. Roger Lewis Odom June 3, 2021 at 6:36 am

I have applied several times for benefits associated with bladder cancer and prostate cancer that I canttaccontracted in Korea in 1968 -69. I’m glad these benefits are being added.

66. Peter Cunningham June 3, 2021 at 6:25 am

What about glioblastoma brain? Been diagnosed, had surgery with a lifetime of chemo and radiation.
    Not enough die yet?

67. Timothy Coffey June 3, 2021 at 6:20 am

Veterans been contaminated by TCE and Benzene for decades, and add agent orange and whatever in combat area’s and you have mess that has been created in USA. DOD knew in 1980’s and Reagan gave several billion for Superfunds, matter of records, but even though it is proven those chemicals cause various diseases including Scleroderma and many autoimmune diseases. Each generation poisoned the one after them with Chemicals they used on our bases. Then we have all the small contaminations, and one big area VA has been quiet on is all us who was working prior to 1995 jobs that used the same TCE and Benzene in water for our everyday careers, like Armorers, and some mechanic’s, etc… VA don’t look at Job hazards when working claims, and they say stupid stuff like your sleep apnea was not found in service, when Sleep apnea field of study did not exist when many of us was in service, of course it was not found. But we all must go through gauntlets of crap from poorly trained workers, most who have no idea what TCE and Benzene is, and who used it. Asking them to do claims involving Chemical contamination is like asking a Janitor to build the space shuttle, and everyone knows it, but the games and waste of tax payer dollars continue as VA is a self run Government entity that can use logic to make decisions only assimilate like the Borg.

• Susan Westin June 3, 2021 at 11:42 am

My husband is a Vietnam vet and has Scleroderma. I am trying to find out more about other vets exposed to Agent Orange who have been diagnosed with Scleroderma. You say that “it is proven those chemicals cause various diseases including Scleroderma …” Where can I find such VA information mentioning that specific, rare autoimmune disease. How did you find proof that the chemicals you mentioned can cause Scleroderma. Need help.

• Richard Graziano June 3, 2021 at 3:00 pm

You’re absolutely correct. I was an organizational automotive mechanic in the Marine Corps as well as doing a stint of armory duty. We were exposed to the chemicals daily, and I was at Camp Lejeune during the water contamination years. I have a number of health issues from that have been linked to those exposures, but the health problems are not yet covered even in the presumptive diseases of the water contamination.

68. Rocky Susshine June 3, 2021 at 5:54 am

Yes. 67-68 Tet. Bien Phouc. Mekong Delta. 5/60, 3/60. 9th Division.???

69. Larry Deshotel June 3, 2021 at 5:51 am

I am a Blue water Vietnam Veteran that severed three tours off the coast of Vietnam. I have applied for agent orange compensation nearly two years ago. I have several of the diseases mentioned due to exposure, The V.A. has never reviewed my case as of June 2021. They have requested information for my diseases but I have never heard back from them. Why has this taken so long to review??

70. Timothy Coffey June 3, 2021 at 5:50 am

Falls short of what needs to happen, VA needs to make sure above all that people contaminated why doing their jobs in service get help. Any Veteran who is contaminated on the Job regardless of timeframe deserves help. Trying to add timeframes is like saying one person can have same contamination but we don’t care because it was before a war period. One Veteran is same as the next, if they were contaminated and prove it, they should get help. The timeframe addition is discrimination within our own ranks and we don’t do that. If they need more money to help all Veterans contaminated, they need to find the money and stop discriminating one age of Veteran against the other which has happened over last twenty years with no regard for the legality. Age discrimination is against the law and VA can set better example by doing the right thing.

• Ed Hoppe June 3, 2021 at 3:51 pm

Find a VSO veterans service officer in your area, they will fill out forms and get them to the
      right people at veterans affairs for you. The VA will take about three to six months reviewing
      your claim. They will also send you to outside doctors, to prove your claim, do not miss the
      Appointments. Many of the diseases posted by the VA as AO exposure have numerous
      secondary diseases you can file a claim for. Each disease is rated from 5% to 100%, then
      the VA has its own math to figure how disabled you are on each disease. You also have to
      go to a VA clinic or hospital and get registered with the VA Health System. A VSO will get you
      through the red tape.

• Gary B Clark June 4, 2021 at 10:13 am

I was in Nam 18 months, 29 April 68 to 7 Dec 69, I have Diabetes 2, receiving 30 % compensation for AO induced Diabetes 2. I have also had half my stomach and 8 inches small intestine removed for Carcinoid Cancer, VA says it was not caused by AO. I also have a rare cancer of the blood called Polycythemia Vera, VA says PV was not caused by AO. I have no family history of Diabetes, Polycythemia Vera or Carcinoid Cancer, so I think the VA is wrong.

71. Rocky Susshine June 3, 2021 at 5:47 am

74 yrs of age. Nam Infantry grunt. I remember very well. Planes and Choppers spraying directly over us wile sweeping the area No portable water. Dipping our canteens in the rice paddies using our towel to filter out the lumps. Dropping in the iodine tablets. many times not waiting the 30 minutes to drink.

72. THOMAS ANHORN June 3, 2021 at 5:46 am

i was stationed in Blue Water off the coast of Vietnam from 1968-1971 on board the USS WICHITA AND THE USS ZELIMA, both of which carried munitions, fuel, food and supplies. We carried and transferred AGENT ORANGE to AIR CRAFT CARRIERS many times. I have copd (breathing problems) and sinus conditions, do i qualify?

• Fred W Carlberg June 4, 2021 at 3:25 pm

I was a Flight Deck director on the USS Kearsarge Aircraft Carrier. from 9/67 to 5/68, we had 2 helicopter Squadrons home Based on our ship. HS6 and HC7, both performed Search and Rescue and HC7 was the US NAVYs ONLY COMBAT SEARCH AND RESCUE SQUADRON IN VIETNAM. Did you carry/transfer AO to our ship or have any records? The Kearsarge is NOT YET a BLUE WATER SHIP but i remember Launching, Recovering and Securing these Helos after IN COUNTRY or Near Shore rescues. I have not been able to secure ANY Squadron Flight Logs either. Any info or help ??? thanks Fred Carlberg

• Jim Steward June 9, 2021 at 2:41 am

Contact the BLUE WATER NAVY ORGANIZATION they have access to ships logs and can confirm if the Kearsarge was in territorial waters at anytime. Good luck!! ABF3 USS HORNET (CVS-12)

73. Danny Wayne Hearh June 3, 2021 at 5:07 am

I have hyperthyroidism from agent orange.
    What do I do now?

• Kathy Regel June 3, 2021 at 11:20 am

Check in with the VFW or American Legion and they can guide you thru the process. That’s what my husband did who has AO related cancer

74. Donald Dickson June 3, 2021 at 4:58 am

Thank goodness Ol Uncle Sugar is on the case! So many of these Vietnam era vets have already passed from this BS.

What about us Ft McClellan vets? I’m a 5x bladder cancer survivor thanks to our lovely government exposing so many of us to god knows what. If I were a civilian in Aniston I could sue and at least get my medical bills paid for…but I was just serving my country so I guess I don’t deserve to be treated like a human being.

Good to know that maybe in another 20 or 25 years they might actually get off their butts and help us too. Maybe I’ll still be alive!

• Cheryl Bennett June 3, 2021 at 11:23 pm

We were stationed at McLellan in ’69. My late husband was a mess sergeant and somehow field combat training. I have no idea. So besides having survived Vietnam, there was Aniston. Our son was conceived when we lived there. He has a number of health issues. Plus, he also served in Desert Storm and has his own set of problems from that :-( Good luck EVER getting the government to admit anything close to causative exposure.

75. Mary Goodreau June 3, 2021 at 3:53 am

My husband did 2 tours in Vietnam and we were in the process of trying to see if he qualified for disability at but he died before we got to far along. He use to say they would spray agent orange below the hills he was on to control the jungle below them. He died of lung cancer and I was told after he died I could no longer proceed with our request. Is this true?

76. Michael J. Young June 3, 2021 at 3:52 am

VA Mantra, “Deny, Deny, Deny Until The Veteran Dies.
    MJ. Young

• Bill Schulz June 3, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Yes This

77. Bobby Marsh June 3, 2021 at 3:28 am

What about soldiers that did not serve in the Republic of China but was assigned to combat engineer units that were in Vietnam, and brought back equipment used in the jungles of Vietnam, exposing soldiers to that equipment whom started experience such problems as boils and other unusual respiratory problems in early to mid 70s.

78. CM June 3, 2021 at 3:11 am

Being exposed just doesn’t stop with the military member. It continues to affect the children and their children and so on. The question is how many generations will the exposure of Agent “fill in the blank” and other chemicals? I’m not convinced the toxic exposure will ever be gone. The children of Vietnam are still affected by it.

79. JOE FUGO June 3, 2021 at 2:44 am

the va dont care about vets !!! WHY ?? most va employees NEVER served in the military !!!

80. Cabray S. June 3, 2021 at 1:43 am

I had this similar experience-only served immediately after the Vietnam conflict, on a LPH THAT TRANSPORTED agent orange, helicopters and, was deployed to south east Asia, and we took it to dry dock. During the daily exposure of ground hull bare nonskid surface, we were subject to a daily cloud of toxic particulate matter with only minimal safety protection.
    I am proud of my service in the navy, however, our government did a poor job of protecting us while we served. This toxic exposure was preventable.
    Today I live with one lung because of my exposure to AGENT ORANGE.

81. John Redfield June 3, 2021 at 1:31 am

I have presumed exposure to agent orange. I was brown water navy for three or four months and had exposure to ground troops who were barracks on the APD 40 Nueces where I and others had to tear down their bunks when we decommissioned our ship. I also came back to Vietnam as Is blue water navy on the USS st. Louis. And as I didn’t know then and only got a clue in 1987 well I was screened for agent orange I have been expected to prove that peripheral neuropathy was from my time in that country. My service record should have been proof enough.

82. Kenneth Klein June 3, 2021 at 1:15 am

How about those of us that served in Okinawa and were exposed to AO on the boats that were sent from Vietnam for repairs? Doctor’s say I have many ailments from AO exposure. VA says Prove it. Get buddy letter . Problem is I am the sole surviver. Parkinson’s? I have Myesthemia Gravis but keep being denied.
    Also this was 72 till76

83. Kenneth Klein June 3, 2021 at 1:12 am

84. Mike Ammann June 3, 2021 at 1:03 am

It’s about time! Iraq war vets facing similar problems with VA that Vietnam vets had to put up with.. What’s new?,

85. Lloyd Phelps June 3, 2021 at 12:51 am

I think a diagnosis of prostate cancer from agent orange means an automatic 100% disability rating.

86. Na June 3, 2021 at 12:39 am

My father died from cancer from Agent Orange colon cancer the VA denied it . I was born while he was in Vietnam and served on camp Pendelton Subic bay Diego Garcia and Camp Hansen all of which are super sites with contamination. I now have reduced kidney function arthritis and multiple degenerative muscle skeletal issues. Let’s see what the VA does for me and others .For some reason they only admit Lejeune.

87. Jesse A. Grant June 3, 2021 at 12:32 am

I already lost my prostate over this. Now along with other problems related to losing the prostate, I will be worrying about my bladder. Already showing problems, and cancer would certainly be the worst. Never seems to end.

88. Gary Alan Holyoke June 3, 2021 at 12:28 am

Why isn’t high blood pressure approved as a presumptive under Agent Orange? The science now confirms the link. The only reason not to add it is the cost. The VA pats itself on the back for adding three presumptives but conveniently ignores the one with a solid link. VA do the right thing. Add high blood pressure to the list of presumptives

89. John martin Stein June 3, 2021 at 12:17 am

Why doesn’t the VA recognize those of us who served in Thailand. This country was sprayed with agent orange. We have suffered as well.

90. Robert McIntyre June 3, 2021 at 12:07 am

I am a Viet Nam era vet: Denied, Denied and Denied, back pain. I went back in time and pulled up my old ships log and was shocked to see the ships daily log showing injuries to my fellow sailors falling down stairs, broken finger, stitches on their scalp and splints on their fingers but sent right on back to work, it happened to me also but now I find out that no records were kept.
    Be aware (request a copy) of your DBQ exam as I did mine and one of the examiners did not completely fill out the questions that were asked of her and for some reason referred to me as a “STREET PERSON”, get a copy ASAP so that you will know what they said, its in your best interest.
    The person who told me to get copies of the VA Ordered DBQ stated that he fought with VA for more than twelve years before winning, I only applied two years ago and knew not, that I would have to fight like this in order to get what I feel that I am entitled too.

• Tom Mangrich June 3, 2021 at 4:44 pm

I was stationed in Korat Thailand 72-73 and lived outside the west gate which is in the red zone ( cleared by AO ). I now suffer from diabetes and heart disease. When will we be covered?

• Terry Brooks June 4, 2021 at 9:17 pm

Tom, you need to file if you were in the exact place where agent orange was employed – the perimeter of an air base. This needs to be mentioned in your claim. Suggest you contact your local Disabled American Veterans (DAV) chapter.

91. Vicki C Davis June 3, 2021 at 12:00 am

My husband served 20 years in the USMC and served in the Vietnam War in 1968. He was also exposed to Agent Orange. He applied twice for benefits and denied. He battled with many service connected medical/neurological issues including Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP) until he died in 2017. When will his cases be reopened and his wife notified?

The calculation requires three digits but the field size only shows two digits!

92. Vicki C Davis June 2, 2021 at 11:56 pm

• Armygurl June 3, 2021 at 10:56 am

Never wait to be notified. Contact a VSO at VA.GOV. have them find out what the procedure is? They should know and be able to assist.

93. Frank Raphael June 2, 2021 at 11:53 pm

I served at KADENA AFB on Okinawa from 1970 until 1972. I came into contact with Agent Orange when footage was burned off in the northern parts of the island. I would go up north to snorkel and fish during my time off. I have developed arithmia, high blood pressure, diabetes and asthma. My disability claim was denied. I need help!

• Ed Hoppe June 3, 2021 at 4:06 pm

Go to nearest VA facility and get registered with VA Health, find a VSO and he/she will fill out the necessary papers for you. I lived in Okinawa in 1967-68, then was in Navy in Vietnam from
      1968-70, then back on Okinawa 1970-72. Google Okinawa and Agent Orange.

94. Jenice Rogers Childers June 2, 2021 at 11:48 pm

I still don’t understand why skin cancers are not recognized— of all things that were exposed – SKIN. Makes no sense.

95. Beverly Smith June 2, 2021 at 11:37 pm

My name is Beverly Smith and my husband Rodney died 28 months ago with Lung cancer. He was in Korea 6 mos after the presumptive tome of exposure to agent Orange. I will never believe all the agent Orange was out of the soil and water when he was there. He deserves something for his suffering and death related to his exposure while in Korea!

96. Gene P Strong June 2, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Hi..I was in the army, 1963 thru 1966.was in the Infantry as a weapon squad leader saving many lives an this tinnitus is bad . The examiner at the ba denied my application for the 10 percent increase of my benefits because she said i should have gone to a doctor in the battle field. While bombs and loud guns firing every were. She doesn’t know war battles,,you just can’t stop. Plus i didn’t know i had all tha hissing noises rushing air noises till i got out of service. And still didn’t know what all that noise was,,I thought I had to live with it
    Aside thought it would go away as it did some times at night after battle .talk to me V A . Thanks.

97. Ricardo Garza June 2, 2021 at 11:23 pm

I was in Vietnam for 2 1/2 years flying as a combat support crew chief. We flew into areas that had been sprayed with agent orange. I filed for agent orange exposure I have been diagnosed by my Doctor with peripheral neuropathy and stinging and tingling in my extremities. I filed a claim with VA and was turned down. When I read that the Blue Water Navy was getting this it upset me so if you were off the coast of Vietnam you can get it. What a deal if you were in county flying into defoliated areas it doesn’t count. What a joke!!!!

98. Aaron Williams June 2, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Can anyone in the VA administration help me understand why COPD and other respiratory diseases are not covered for exposure to agent orange ?
    We all know agent orange has a major affect on the respiratory system the could lead to COPD,
    Key word is ( could cause ) which means the government can not proof that agent orange can not contribute to COPD and other respiratory diseases.
    How meany of us will have to die a slow painful death before we can get recognized for needed benefits ?

99. Max Teat June 2, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Are you serious?! I filed in 1980 at the age of 31 for esophageal cancer due to exposure to Agent Orange. They didn’t even recognize Agent Orange exposure back then. After a complete resection of my esophagus & upper stomach & removal of the Vegas Nerves in my stomach with follow up radiation therapy, I lost over 70 lbs., which I have never been able to regain. I’ve literally suffered for over 40 years with serious digestive problems, heart & breathing problems. I had heart surgery in 1998 to remove the pericardial sac from my heart. In 2009 I had colon cancer surgery.

In 2016 with the help of an attorney, was finally approved for Ischemic Heart Disease but only has a 60% disability rate. I’ve spent the last 40+ years unable to do any physical work because I cannot bend over or do anything physically stressful. Why? Why won’t the VA properly recognize my 100% physical disability obviously caused by exposure to Agent Orange for the last 40+ years??!!!! Respiratory diseases?? Isn’t the esophagus part of the air intake (respiratory) system??????!!!!!

100. Sharon Page Greene June 2, 2021 at 11:16 pm

My husband applied years ago and was denied he served in the Korean War and two tours in Vietnam and was based at Camp Lejeune for several years. He retired after 24 years of service in the Marines while serving he developed a heart condition that required a triple bypass he also suffered from PTSD, Rash to his back, feet, and legs he also developed asthma, and lung cancer from agent orange and smoking cigarettes of which was given to him his first day of reporting to camp they were included with his gear before that he never smoked. Every sickness he had was documented in his medical records stating the main cause was due to Agent Orange and Other Health Factors. He lost his battle with Cancer September 2002 as his widow what can I do to see if I am eligible for his agent orange benefits?

101. Sidney Franklin Combs June 2, 2021 at 11:14 pm

I served in Thailand at Uteipio AFB in 1972-1973. I installed telephones and all associated equipment in outline areas. I’m a diabetic, I have high blood pressure. I have filed claims but constantly get denied. Agent Orange was used at my location. Can i get VA assistance?

• Victor William Anderson June 3, 2021 at 10:44 am

When will VA notify those who have previously filed a claim years ago for Hypothyroidism? Already at 90% due to Agent Orange related exposure.

102. Rebecca McCarty June 2, 2021 at 11:10 pm

My husband had Lewy Body Dementia for twelve years that we know of and then had Parkinson’s the last three years of his life. They go hand in hand but the government doesn’t recognize all the years my husband