Are you a Veteran living or traveling abroad with a VA-rated service-connected disability? You may be eligible for medical services through VA’s Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for treatment associated with your service-connected disability.

Through this program, VA can pay for health care services, medications and durable medical equipment (DME) to treat conditions related to a service-connected disability. VA also provides reimbursement through FMP for emergency care for treatment associated with a service-connected disability.


To enroll in FMP, you will need to fill out the FMP Registration Form (VA Form 10-7959f-1 and send to VA. Fillable PDFs can be completed online, mailed to the address below, or faxed to 1-303-331-7803.

VHA Office of Community Care

Foreign Medical Program (FMP)

P.O. Box 469061

Denver, CO 80246-9061

Eligible Veterans who are traveling abroad and do not have a permanent foreign mailing address should apply for the FMP before they travel using their U.S. address.

Filing a Claim

In order to speed up your claim processing, have your provider submit the claim directly to VA. If your provider doesn’t send the claim directly to VA, you will need to pay the provider and then submit a claim to VA for reimbursement.

Keep in mind that claim information submitted in a language other than English can be translated but will cause a delay.

When filing the claim, include the Veteran’s full name, Social Security Number, VA file number, mailing address and a VA Form 10-7959f-2, FMP Claim Cover sheet. Additional documentation may be needed depending on the type of claim.

For more information, visit How to File a FMP Claim fact sheet.

Contact FMP

Need help? You can contact the VA FMP by calling 877-345-8179 or sending an e-mail to

Support and Resources

By Gabrielle Holak is a program analyst with the VHA Office of Community Care

Share this story

Published on Feb. 3, 2022

Estimated reading time is 1.7 min.

Views to date: 2,720


  1. Henry February 11, 2022 at 5:26 pm

    I AM Veteran 100% P & T I want to move To South Korea where i was stationed for 6 years during my service i think the Government should let Veterans living abroad be able to use the nearest military installation hospital on the base and they could charge the VA for your service connected disability maybe someday that could happen I was medically discharged in 1988 I was in for 11 years

  2. Rocky Leeper February 10, 2022 at 11:13 am

    Follow their rules, submit a claim, wait 6 months for a denial, resubmit, get another denial for some other incorrect reason, resubmit, then they just wait till you have had enough or die, never getting paid. No accountability, no direct deposit, no person empowered to communicate with, simply a denial of benefits.

  3. kelly morrow February 5, 2022 at 2:39 pm

    I get decent service for my service connected here in Mexico –I wish we had the complete medical that we get in the states. But no matter how you slice and dice the program it is still a federal govt program and therefore will never be right

  4. Albert Morris February 5, 2022 at 8:43 am

    Was pleased seeing FMP service to veterans. Then read Only for ” serv-connected”. For a short moment I thought I could move to Panama where I was born & have VA medical care. I once read some Ins Companies are home in the US & cover Americans living abroad. Why can’t Doctors in foreign countries being registered with these insurance companies & be able to accept US Medicare & payment to these doctors thru Insurance companies based in the US that are for foreign countries.

  5. Robert Johnson February 5, 2022 at 5:32 am

    I’ve got a service connected knee/ankle injury that gave out and broke my hip. I should get fmp compensation, right?

  6. Sandra Durst February 4, 2022 at 9:13 pm

    I would like to find out how to even get a decision on a claim, husband has had one in since 2016 and still waiting he died almost a year ago but then he was a Vietnam Veteran who had throat cancer and then Lung Cancer I was told most Vietnam veterans die before they ever collect a anything guess they were right, shame how the Government treats the Veterans yet when they needed them to fight a war they knew how to draft them into their bullsht.

  7. Tommy Murphy February 4, 2022 at 8:07 pm

    Why doesn’t my 50 % S/C disability cover me in Mexico for total care as it would if I were still living stateside. Basically you are penalizing me for moving. I was open to moving wherever you sent me while in The Marines i.e. Panama Crisis, Santa Domingo, and finally Viet Nam for 13 mos.
    So what I was willing to sacrifice, my country is not willing to do for me. SHAME ON YOU VA, SHAME!

  8. Wm. Hopson February 4, 2022 at 2:17 pm

    The treatment we receive here in the states is laughable, unless you have a cold or a bunion. Try having a serious long-term service connected disability, requiring regular monthly treatment and/or medications. I can’t even get the medicine THEY prescribed to me 20 years ago, though the condition has worsened. Still have to see a civilian M.D. The clinic here acts like it’s their medication! Change has to be total, from the top down.

  9. Charles george February 4, 2022 at 11:07 am

    Under the new treatment laws the president signed makes the FMP illegal. Any contract agency or veterans program must treat all conditions. Not just. Service connected. It’s another duplication of services that no longer apply. The FMP is outdated with current laws and should be forced to provide the services that are now law.

    • Tom February 4, 2022 at 7:09 pm

      I have always felt like this should be the case but I’m unaware of this recent change you speak of. Can you provide the details like which exact law change? I’m a 100% pt vet who lives abroad. I have no insurance because the VA only covers service connected conditions even for us 100 and p&t. My conditions are static meaning treatment is unlikely to make them better and imho the drugs make my overall living conditions unbearable. Even though I’m unlikely to bother getting treated at the VA for anything I would like the ability to get basics checked out once a year and be covered in the case of an emergency

  10. Miguel Angel Guzman February 4, 2022 at 7:22 am

    Those of us living abroad are treated less than stateside veterans. If a stateside veteran needs treatment but lives far from a fecility he/she will get HOPTEL while a veteran from over seas does NOT. It makes no sense besides outright disconsiderate. This is definitely discrimination and wrong!

Comments are closed.

More Stories

  • Women Veteran enrollment at Dublin VA increased by 20 percent over the last two years. New primary care and Women’s Health clinic will address the growing need for women’s health care.

  • Tennessee Veterans and staff were treated to a Veterans Day concert hosted by Musicians On Call and Wrangler at Alvin C. York VA in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

  • Central Ohio VA employees were invited on stage to tell Veterans about VA health care at the 2022 VetsAid benefit concert.