Are you interested in returning to school or jumpstarting a new career? Consider applying to one of several VA education or career programs for Veterans, including Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E), Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses (VET TEC) or the Veteran Rapid Retraining Assistance Program (VRRAP).

Veterans with a service-connected disability of at least 10% that limits their ability to work or prevents them from working may be eligible for VR&E – a program designed to help Veterans explore employment options and address education or training deficiencies. You can apply online or contact a local VBA Regional Office. Once the application is received, a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will schedule an initial evaluation with you and determine formal entitlement to the program.

The VET TEC program assists Veterans looking to re-skill (or upskill) for a career in the high-technology industry. Eligible Veterans and service members can receive educational assistance in such fields as computer programming, data processing and information science, and may receive a housing stipend while in training. Visit the VET TEC webpage to learn more about the program, eligibility requirements and the application process.

Veterans not entitled to the Post-9/11 GI Bill or without a service-connected disability may still qualify for VA education benefits for a limited time through VRRAP, which offers training and education to support employment in high-demand jobs for Veterans unemployed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

To be eligible for the VRRAP program, you must:

  • Be at least 22 years old, but not older than 66.
  • Not be rated as totally disabled because you can’t work.
  • Not be enrolled in a federal or state jobs program.
  • Not currently be receiving unemployment benefits.

Veterans who meet all of the above qualifications can apply and may receive up to 12 months of tuition and fees, as well as a monthly housing allowance based on Post-9/11 GI Bill rates. VRRAP is a temporary benefit (enrollment deadline is December 11, 2022). Additional information is available on the VRRAP website.

For general questions about GI Bill benefits, call the Education Call Center at 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551), or 001-918-781-5678, if calling from outside of the United States.

By Mary Beard is a national employment coordinator for VA's Veteran Readiness and Employment office

Share this story

Published on May. 13, 2022

Estimated reading time is 1.8 min.

Views to date: 2,235


  1. Leeto Jack Lesikare May 20, 2022 at 2:58 am

    Hi there, I am very much interested into this veteran’s program.
    I am one of the Military veterans and stays in South Africa. I should think that I am qualifying, because I don’t have any job nor getting anything from the government at present moment, it’s really tough for some of us. Can I be assisted as well?

    I thank you and humble myself thereof.

  2. Timothy Horn May 19, 2022 at 3:11 pm

    I’m a Vietnam Vet (Air Force, eight years active duty) with no disability rating. I was under the old GI Bill (Vietnam Era) but never finished my education before my ten year limit ran out. I was also in the Air national Guard and was activated for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. I’m currently 73 years old and would like to finish my Bachelor’s Degree. Are there any VA educational programs that I would fit into?

    • Mary May 19, 2022 at 3:37 pm

      I would suggest contacting your local community colleges offers free training courses for individuals 65 and older. Please contact your local institutions in your area to see if you qualify and/or if it is still offered. There are also grants/scholarships for Veterans. A lot of Fortune 500 companies and other business offer grants to Veteran (ie: Ford Motors, Burger King, etc).

  3. Ricardo Geraldo Mora May 18, 2022 at 10:17 pm

    I am a VN vet with 100% SC disability. I/we had submitted all the appropriate paperwork to obtain a Ch 35 DEA for my 19 year-old daughter (was 17 when first started with application). She enrolled/attended University in England (which at the time was on the VA-approved universities abroad. However, once she started (and we had submitted all the appropriate paperwork) we were unable to get the University (UEA, Norwich, UK) to complete the form VA form 22-1999, because, after several months of much effort, they informed me that they no longer participated with the VA program (as too much paperwork on their part was involved). I did inform the VA of this, and submitted a second package with a generic letter from the University stating that she was enrolled as a student at their institution.

    My latest submission to the VA (Director of Regional Office, Buffalo (as our domicile is in Thailand) was 2 months ago and I have heard nothing back (sent them a letter signed by my now adult-daughter authorizing me on her behalf) from them.
    I am now going to send a 3rd copy to the Inspector General of the Dept of Veteran Affairs……as she is now finishing her first year….and no action has been taken, not even the courtesy of a respons. She had Ch 35 Certificate of Eligibility when all of this originated. Thank you for any assistance/advice you can provide

    • Mary May 19, 2022 at 3:32 pm

      I am so sorry to hear of your hardship with trying to get the training time approved for the time period they were approved for educational benefits. I would suggest contacting 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551). Call between 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday or tel:1-918-781-5678. Here is another option

      I hope all of the aforementioned will provide you with some relief.

  4. Mary May 16, 2022 at 9:40 am

    Please see the following regarding survivor-dependent benefits (Ch. 35)

    Also, some community colleges offer some training courses for individuals 65 and older. Please contact your local institutions in your area to see if you qualify and/or if it is still offered.

  5. Richard Bertzyk May 13, 2022 at 4:19 pm

    Am a Nam ara vet, 67yrs old and used GI Bill in a different career. Is it possible on a non service disability to get into Horticulture field or cannabis industry for gov research or funding for online courses. I get smallest pension and can’t get ssn with this. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks Richard

  6. Rose-Shoshana Mintzurquhart May 13, 2022 at 4:11 pm

    I am the widowed spouse of an honorably discharged 100% disabled navy Viet Nam era veteran. I am 69 and have a degree in English. I now need computer training. What am I entitled to.

    Please call me to discuss. I want to work in Cyber Security.

Comments are closed.

More Stories

  • Veterans can win a 2023 Toyota Tundra truck by entering the “Committed to America’s Heroes Sweepstakes” from Hiring Our Heroes.

  • Here are the most asked questions and answers about Long COVID. Also, a list of many of the symptoms. Use this list to tell your clinician or care team.

  • American Corporate Partners' mentoring program pairs Veterans with Fortune 500 corporate professionals for free, one-on-one mentorships.