Veterans enrolled at VA have many options for their care and wellbeing. One option that is bringing an array of benefits, especially to elderly Veterans, is yoga.

Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System’s Whole Health program includes tai chi, mindfulness, movement, yoga and other wellbeing programs. Yoga instructor Chuna Rai-Nelson brings more than 30 years of experience to classes for enrolled Veterans.

Improving your ability to do more of the things you want

She offers a variety of yoga techniques to Veterans looking to increase range of motion, improve blood circulation and muscle strength, increase flexibility and stability, improve balance and bring calm into their lives.

Every Friday she leads a gentle chair yoga class at the Oaklawn Center on Aging in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Navy Veteran Camila Norton and Air Force Veteran Dirk Nelson make the class every Friday.

Prevention

Moving the body can help prevent and treat dozens of diseases, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.

Moving the body is any activity that uses your energy to move the large muscles in your body. Some activities increase your stamina, while others improve your strength, flexibility, or balance. Moving your body in these ways can improve your ability to do more of the things you want.

VA has a wealth of resources and tools offered here that will help you explore ways to move your body, set goals and be successful.

By Christopher Durney is a public affairs officer at the Central Arkansas VA. Jeff Bowen is a medical photographer at the Little Rock VA.

Published on Apr. 16, 2022

1. Wauseca Briscoe April 26, 2022 at 8:00 am

How can other wellness services/fitness professionals join VA’s preventative programs?

2. Javier McClain April 25, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Is there a link so I could follow along?

• Warren Ream April 26, 2022 at 5:20 pm

If you could add Zoom to your class it would be great I believe for me. My movements are not as good as I know I could improve with the chair yoga. Thank you

3. Elizabeth A Jones April 22, 2022 at 6:53 pm

I would like to become involved in chair yoga

4. Nancy Re April 22, 2022 at 7:51 am

How about making it available via Zoom/Teams/webex so other areas can join in ?

5. Wayne Stott April 20, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I’ve been in gentle yoga classes for over 12 years. I’ll soon turn 78 and was discharged from the US Navy 55years ago. Many classes there would be 20 ladies and one guy.
    The exercise is great and there is an attitude adjustment that takes place during each class.
    Chair yoga is highly recommend by this ol man.

6. Dennis Stapleton April 17, 2022 at 11:07 am

I use the Augusta Georgia VA. Any plans for them starting Yoga classes, I would be interested in.

7. Ralph April 16, 2022 at 4:14 pm

More strength. In my legs

• “Art therapy sessions let Veterans find a space where they feel comfortable. Their art is making an impact. That is the goal.”

• VA nurse Jim Roupe, at his son’s football game, saw a player collapse. He ran down the bleachers, jumped the fence, ran to the boy’s side and began CPR.

• Houston VA swore in new honorary police chief 10-year-old DJ Daniel who is battling terminal spinal and brain cancer. “Welcome aboard, Chief.”