Each April, National Occupational Therapy Month honors the therapists who play a vital role in improving patients’ health and well-being by helping them accomplish the activities they need and want to do in everyday life.
At VA, we recognize the important role of our occupational therapists (OTs), not just this month, but throughout the year.
We take a holistic approach to patient care, so we know that our OTs and the rehabilitation services they provide are always key.
Are you considering a career as an OT at VA? Here are the top four reasons to make the move.
- We are the largest employer of OTs in the nation.
We employ more than 1,000 OTs who provide personalized, state-of-the-art care at over 1,200 VA health care facilities and via telehealth. With their help, Veterans recover from injury faster, make greater improvements in their mobility and return to independence more quickly. At VA, you’ll be a major contributor, caring for patients who have so bravely served our nation. We strive to provide a professional, supportive environment, so our Veteran patients and their health care providers can thrive. OTs enjoy long and satisfying careers at VA, staying on average for more than a decade.
- Push your talent to new heights.
You’ll work as a pioneer in your field. Because we are one of the largest health care systems in the nation and employ so many OTs, you’ll have a wider range of opportunities across the continuum of clinical care practice settings, including:
- Assistive technology
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Pain management
- Spinal cord injury
- Hand therapy
- Traumatic brain injury
- Wheelchair seating and positioning
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Mental health
- Women’s health
You can also build your skillset by taking advantage of continuing education, training and leadership development opportunities. Further your education with scholarship opportunities. We also offer OT students the chance to do Level II field work in affiliated clinical education programs.
- Serve those who served.
There’s nothing more meaningful than helping national heroes lead happier, more fulfilling lives. Because our enrolled Veterans are guaranteed OT treatment through achievement of their goal, you have the chance to form long-lasting relationships with your patients and receive deep appreciation from the brave men and women who have served our country.
- Enjoy outstanding benefits.
We offer competitive salaries, nationwide job transfer opportunities, outstanding benefits and more. With one active, full and unrestricted state license, you can practice in any U.S. state or territory. Our extensive bundle of employee benefits includes:
- Paid vacation that begins accruing on your start date, paid sick leave with no limit on accumulation and 10 paid Federal holidays.
- Affordable group health insurance plans, including dental, vision and long-term care.
- Term life insurance, with family and additional coverage options available.
- Health care and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Liability protection through the Federal Tort Claims Act, which provides immunity from personal liability for damages arising from medical malpractice or negligence.
- The Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS): a three-tier retirement plan composed of Social Security, FERS basic benefits and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).
- Tuition reimbursement.
Choose VA today
See if an OT career at VA is right for you.