Are you looking for an activity that improves your physical and mental health? Tai Chi, sometimes called a moving meditation, is a simple mind body practice. Tai Chi warm-ups enhance relaxation, calm and focus the mind, improve pain, sleep, posture, strength, flexibility and balance.

Tai Chi is a simple movement that you can practice any time of day. It may help improve your golf game, change the way you walk, drive, hold a child, play sports, communicate and more.

Practicing can help you learn how to go with the flow and move around obstacles in daily life. If you feel yourself getting angry or stressed: you can use mind body skills to pause, feel your feet on the ground, breathe and begin a simple tai chi movement, such as slowly pouring the weight from one foot to the other. The focused awareness, and the breathing and slow movement, helps quiet thoughts swirling in the mind while reducing swirling thoughts or anger.

Tai Chi warm-ups

This is the first in a series of videos that will help you incorporate Tai Chi into your daily life. You may practice Tai Chi while waiting for coffee to brew, watering the lawn or standing in line at the grocery store or bank.

Join me for a 26-minute Tai Chi warm-up:

By Lori Enloe PT, MA, NBC-HWC

Whole Health coach, National Board Certified Health and Wellness coach, Certified Tai Chi Fundamentals Professional Training Course instructor, Certified Exercise Expert in Aging Adults at the Madison VA Medical Center

Published on Aug. 8, 2022

1. Melissa Ramos August 16, 2022 at 10:02 am

I love this! Thank you!

2. Kenneth August 15, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Tai Chi is very very good for seniors with motility challenges like myself because of chronic pain and lack of motivation I let my body get too far out of shape and Tai Chi is perfect to start getting my body back in shape hooray VA

3. ALFRED (Al) JOHNSON August 11, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Love it!!

4. Reita A Jacobson August 10, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Thank you. I am homebound. I’ve had the introductory session. I want to continue gentle Tai Chi via zoom.

• Teddy Adams August 21, 2022 at 3:33 pm

I have been studying Tai Chi for many years as a martial art. It teaches you to use your mind to relax and control your mind and body. If done properly it will help you mentally and physically.

5. Reita A Jacobson August 10, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Thank you.

6. William Grayson August 10, 2022 at 12:38 pm

Hi I’m very interested I go to the Charlotte VA how can I join?

• How often do you make things harder than they must or should be? This week's episode of #LiveWholeHealth is a progressive muscle relaxation to reduce stress and lighten your load.

• When we have aches and pains, we often notice our body “talking” to us. This Tai Chi basic moves practice helps with those aches and pains before they begin.

• Connecting mind and body is important for your overall whole health. Your body responds to the way you think, feel, and act and this is often called the “mind-body connection.”